Devon Walker Info

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
bigmoneytx

Devon Walker Info

Post by bigmoneytx »

University has a webpage setup for Devon Walker

http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/index.cfm

There are multiple links within that one above, one of them is to get info on how to support Devon and his family
http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/support-for-devon.cfm

This support link is also on the main Tulane.edu webpage
http://tulane.edu/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SEND A FREE E-GREETING AT THE HOSPITAL
http://www.sfh-tulsa.com/visitors/patientgreeting.aspx
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PRAY4DEVON
http://www.campusconnection.cc/store/de ... EVON-Shirt

Shirts for sale, all proceeds will go to the Walker Family for assistance with anything they need regarding Devon's recovery efforts.

They are made by the Campus Connection store located right on/off of Broadway and these shirts were approved by Tulane University and Tulane Athletics in support of Devon.

OR

http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/t-shirt.cfm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED INFO FROM TULANE 9/9/12

University has a webpage setup for Devon Walker

http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/index.cfm

There are multiple links within that one above, one of them is to get info on how to support Devon and his family
http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/support-for-devon.cfm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa4OOoc0Avk
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
830pm Saturday
Tulane team Dr. Greg Stewart said injured safety Devon Walker had some feeling in a
rms and legs, but long term paralysis risk is unknown

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... rt_sa.html

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... r_fra.html
bigmoneytx

Green Out for Devon Walker tonight on Campus

Post by bigmoneytx »

http://tulane.edu/calendar/event-detail ... 5C1BC4031F
Green Out for Devon
Date: Friday, September 14, 2012
Time: 6:30 PM
Building: LBC Quad

The Undergraduate Student Government is hosting a rally, “Green Out for Devon” this Friday, September 14, at 6:30 p.m. at the Gorson Porch/LBC Quad. We have invited multiple members of the Tulane community to speak at the event, including athletics staff, administrators, students, and friends of Devon.

The rally will serve as an opportunity for the Tulane community to come together and show their support for Devon and his family, as well as our wishes for a safe and speedy recovery. Collection bins will be set up for those who wish to show support through financial contributions. Checks should be made out to the ‘Devon Walker Fund.’

We are looking forward to seeing you dressed in your olive green to show your support for Devon. To stay up to date on Devon’s status before the rally, please visit http://tulane.edu/devonwalker.

Sponsored by: Undergraduate Student Government (USG)

Admission: Free
Attendance: Open to the public
Open to: Alumni, Faculty, Graduate students, Parents, Prospective undergrads, Staff, Undergraduates, Visitors
JtS
Regent's Circle

Devon Walker Fundraising Lunch on Thursday, Oct 18th, 11am-2

Post by JtS »

Devon Walker Fundraising Lunch on October 18
Please join us for Devon Walker Day in the 1834 Club in the Lavin-Bernick Center from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. The cost is $18 per person with all proceeds going to the Devon Walker Fund. For reservations call 504-865-5254.
Menu -
Mock Turtle Soup

Chef Michael's Salad bar -
Iceberg Wedge Salad
with Bleu Cheese and
Fried Onion Rings

Entrees
Grilled NY Strip

Filet Mignon

Whole Redfish
with Brown Butter
Meuniere

Sides-
BAKED Irish and Sweet Potato Bar
Broiled Beefsteak Tomatoes
Steamed Asparagus
Mini Jumbo Lump Crabmeat Au Grautin

Accoutrements -
Assorted Panera Breads
JtS
Regent's Circle

Dodgeball Fundraiser for Devon on October 20

Post by JtS »

Dodgeball Fundraiser for Devon on Saturday, October 20

The Tulane Sports Law Society is excited to announce a charity dodgeball tournament to raise money for the Devon Walker Fund and the Sports Law Society. The tournament will be held on Tulane's campus in New Orleans at the Reily Center facilities on Saturday, October 20, 2012. Teams will compete in bracket-style dodgeball matches for prizes. Teams of six to eight persons are permitted – six players are allowed on the court during each match, with two extra players permitted as alternates or substitutes.

The cost is $80 per team for teams that register before Wednesday, October 17. The registration fee will increase to $100 per team for teams that register from Thursday, October 18 up until the start of the tournament on October 20. Proceeds from entry fees will benefit the Devon Walker Fund and the Tulane Sports Law Society. Teams are encouraged to raise additional money for the Devon Walker Fund and bring the funds to registration on October 20. All proceeds from team fundraising will go directly toward the Devon Walker Fund. Prizes will be awarded to the top teams in the dodgeball tournament, to the team which raises the most money for the Devon Walker Fund, and to the team with the best name and uniforms. On the day of the tournament, registration will begin at 8:30am, with dodgeball action starting at 9am. More details will be announced as they are finalized. Additional information will be posted here on the Tulane Sports Law Blog and distributed to any registered teams.

http://www.law.tulane.edu/tlsAcademicPr ... sblog.aspx

Space is limited, so register early! To register your team, or to request more information, please contact the Sports Law Society via e-mail: tulanesls@gmail.com. To register, submit your team name, the names of your team members, and a contact phone number and e-mail for your team. If you are interested in helping to sponsor the event, please e-mail the Sports Law Society. To learn more about the Devon Walker Fund, please visit the website. We look forward to seeing you on October 20 for a great cause and a fun day of dodging, dipping, diving, ducking, and …. dodging!
JtS
Regent's Circle

Re: Devon Walker Info

Post by JtS »

Rally for Devon on November 3 at Republic New Orleans

A fundraiser for Devon Walker will be held at the Republic New Orleans (828 South Peters Street in the Warehouse District) on November 3 from 6-10 p.m. after the Tulane Homecoming game.

There will be live entertainment by The Reed Alleman Band and DJ Byserk, a silent auction and complimentary food stations provided by Sainte Marie Brasserie, Capdeville, Pie Pizza & Pasta, Rock n’ Sake, and Bittersweet Confections. Silent Auction donations include items from The Ed Reed Foundation, Perlis, Branch Out, Republic National Distributing Company, Fast Cash Pawn, Root, Zapp’s Potato Chips, Saints Memorabilia and much more.

The event is for patrons 18 years and older. A cash bar will be available to those guests over 21 years of age. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for Tulane students with a valid ID.

Pre-sale tickets can be purchased athttp://www.republicnola.com. 100% of ticket sales and silent auction proceeds will be donated to the Devon Walker Fund. Republic will additionally donate a portion of bar sale proceeds from the event.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Devon Walker Update - October 17, 2012

Post by JtS »

October 17, 2012

Devon Walker continues his recovery efforts at a comprehensive in-patient rehabilitation center, where he arrived on Sept. 18.

We received this update from the Walker family today. Meanwhile, the family continues to ask for privacy and does not wish to disclose the location of the rehab facility.

Statement from Tulane Senior Safety Devon Walker:
Thank you everyone for your prayers and well-wishes. This has been so hard on my family and friends. I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for your generosity and support. I especially want to thank everyone who sent cards and letters. I read each and every one. They give me the inspiration to keep on pushing. Your words of encouragement are helping me so much. Thank you also to those who organize, attend and contribute in countless ways to the many fundraisers being held in my honor. I am truly blessed. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers. -- Love You All, Devon Walker #18

Statement from the Walker Family:
Devon is in good spirits and getting stronger every day. His days are filled with classes to educate him on his injury and the effect it has on his body, as well as therapy, therapy, and more therapy. He went outside into the garden recently and felt the sun; that was the best therapy of all! His spirits are high and he's moving full speed ahead. Thanks to all of you who have reached out to inspire him with your personal stories of success after similar injuries. Please continue to pray for God's guidance as his physicians and healthcare professionals work toward his recovery. -- The Walker Family

Tulane University continues to honor Walker with a “Support for Devon Walker” website: http://tulane.edu/devonwalker/index.cfm.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

11/14/12 - Augusto Martinez (B ’90), director of the Tulane Club chapter of Quito Ecuador, visited with Devon Walker during Homecoming weekend. Below is a note he wrote describing his visit.

"I wanted to share with you a great visit I had last week, with our Tulane football player and senior, Devon Walker, who got injured in the second game of the season. As some of you know, I had a similar injury, which I was blessed to fully recover from.

"When Devon had his injury, I wrote him a letter and I asked the Athletic Director if I could visit him before our Board meeting. The visit was amazing, we connected incredibly well from the first minute. I gave him a book from Ecuador, with lots of pictures of animals, plants and landscapes, since he is biology major, I assumed he must be interested in those things and he definitely was. I told him he must get well to go visit these places together.

"During my two hour visit, for about thirty minutes, we had a chance to be by ourselves and I told him he must confront adversity and every day be motivated and inspired, always have the right attitude, show courage, have faith and fight every day to be stronger, to be tougher, to be smarter and rise over the top, to recover from this injury. We talked about the things that worked for me when I was in the same situation: among other things, I mentioned meditation and the need to visualize in his mind his injury healing.

"According to ancient philosophy, we have two birthrights, one is to be happy and the other to be healthy. Sometimes the second one gets taken away from us and we have to work hard to regain it.

"In that hospital, I saw a man with so much courage and a positive attitude, it was a lot better than what I expected and I am happy to report he is improving slowly but surely. Momma Walker is always at his side, she is a rock, I also spoke with her, recommending she take good care of herself and sharing all the experiences my mother went through, when I was at the hospital.

"I knew in my heart, that this visit was the right thing to do, I thought it was going to be emotionally draining for me, but it was so uplifting, I was touched so profoundly in so many ways, that it is hard to describe; when I left the hospital, I felt it was a humbling experience, I was so inspired and I remember all the things I learned when I was in that situation and probably some of them, I might have forgotten over time.

"The next morning, before I took my plane back to South America, I talked to the football team, I told them about Devon in general terms and one of the things I mentioned, is that the true measure of a champion is not always in the scoreboard, it is in the amount of heart you put on the things you do, and how you honor what you do in life, giving your best effort and never giving up. Devon is a true Tulane Champion.
-- All the best, Augusto Martinez"
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

This topic is open for members to post about events or pertinent information concerning Devin or the Walker family. Please keep all comments and discussion elsewhere.

Thank you
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

JtS wrote:11/14/12 - Augusto Martinez (B ’90), director of the Tulane Club chapter of Quito Ecuador, visited with Devon Walker during Homecoming weekend. Below is a note he wrote describing his visit.

"I wanted to share with you a great visit I had last week, with our Tulane football player and senior, Devon Walker, who got injured in the second game of the season. As some of you know, I had a similar injury, which I was blessed to fully recover from.

"When Devon had his injury, I wrote him a letter and I asked the Athletic Director if I could visit him before our Board meeting. The visit was amazing, we connected incredibly well from the first minute. I gave him a book from Ecuador, with lots of pictures of animals, plants and landscapes, since he is biology major, I assumed he must be interested in those things and he definitely was. I told him he must get well to go visit these places together.

"During my two hour visit, for about thirty minutes, we had a chance to be by ourselves and I told him he must confront adversity and every day be motivated and inspired, always have the right attitude, show courage, have faith and fight every day to be stronger, to be tougher, to be smarter and rise over the top, to recover from this injury. We talked about the things that worked for me when I was in the same situation: among other things, I mentioned meditation and the need to visualize in his mind his injury healing.

"According to ancient philosophy, we have two birthrights, one is to be happy and the other to be healthy. Sometimes the second one gets taken away from us and we have to work hard to regain it.

"In that hospital, I saw a man with so much courage and a positive attitude, it was a lot better than what I expected and I am happy to report he is improving slowly but surely. Momma Walker is always at his side, she is a rock, I also spoke with her, recommending she take good care of herself and sharing all the experiences my mother went through, when I was at the hospital.

"I knew in my heart, that this visit was the right thing to do, I thought it was going to be emotionally draining for me, but it was so uplifting, I was touched so profoundly in so many ways, that it is hard to describe; when I left the hospital, I felt it was a humbling experience, I was so inspired and I remember all the things I learned when I was in that situation and probably some of them, I might have forgotten over time.

"The next morning, before I took my plane back to South America, I talked to the football team, I told them about Devon in general terms and one of the things I mentioned, is that the true measure of a champion is not always in the scoreboard, it is in the amount of heart you put on the things you do, and how you honor what you do in life, giving your best effort and never giving up. Devon is a true Tulane Champion.
-- All the best, Augusto Martinez"
AWESOME. THANKYOU for Sharing this.
wave-em in
President's Circle

Post by wave-em in »

Fairly easy to deduct some things.

Devon had a very special birthday a couple weeks ago!

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/genrel/091012aaa.html
Dec. 17, 2012 - Update on Tulane Senior Safety Devon Walker:

On Thursday, Nov. 29, Devon celebrated his 22nd birthday along with some special friends. New Orleans Saints players and coaches visited Devon at his rehab facility and spent time talking and joking with No. 18. Drew Brees, Joe Vitt, Jonathan Vilma, Pierre Thomas, Roman Harper, Malcolm Jenkins, Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Will Smith and Zach Strief were among the visitors.

In the three months since his injury, Devon has worked very hard at his recovery, with his family by his side every step of the way. As a result of his injury, Devon is not yet mobile, but each day he continues the fight to get better.

Despite the fact that his recovery is ongoing, Devon will be home for the holidays.

Devon and his family are deeply appreciative for all the kind words, prayers, gifts and donations that they have received, a sentiment that Devon wants to convey personally to all of his friends and supporters:

"I am so happy to be going home where I can reunite with my family and friends. My family and I are very grateful for the support we continue to receive. Some days, when I think that I just can't do this anymore, remembering my many friends and supporters (both old and new) who are praying for me gives me the strength to go on. I know that my fight is just beginning. Please continue to pray for my recovery. Thank you very much." - Devon Walker

ImageImage
http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/view.gal?id=131594
Rock'n'Roll Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Rock'n'Roll Wave »

Just saw a teaser announcing an interview with Devon Walker coming up on the WWL news. Hope I'm around when it airs.

Update--interview will air on the 10 p.m. newscast. What was shown briefly is that he has some shoulder movement.
Godfather
President's Circle

Post by Godfather »

Rock'n'Roll Wave wrote:Just saw a teaser announcing an interview with Devon Walker coming up on the WWL news. Hope I'm around when it airs.

Update--interview will air on the 10 p.m. newscast. What was shown briefly is that he has some shoulder movement.
Missed most of it :banghead:

Went out to the living room to turn the TV off and saw him on camera. They also showed him writing (although it wasn't with a normal pen--he had some device rigged up.) Still a step in the right direction.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

It will be on coz ch 15 until tomorrow morning.
Also, I suppose it will be on wwl's site.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Fundraising event for Devon Walker in Houston, TX [/size]

Tuesday Feb 12th (Mardi Gras Night) at Capone’s Restaurant.

4304 Westheimer @ Midlane
Houston, TX 77027

http://www.caponeshouston.com

Located on Mid Lane Dr and Westhiemer Rd, Just east of the Galleria and inside the 610 loop

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=4304+Westheimer+Rd,+Houston,+TX+77027

The Event kicks off at Happy Hour and ends at Midnight.

The Guzzlers play at Capone's every Tuesday. The Band includes members from metro NOLA who are big Tulane Fans.

Come support Devon while you celebrate Mardi Gras in Houston with fellow Greenies
[/size]

JtS
Regent's Circle

The WWL interview

Post by JtS »

JtS
Regent's Circle

Asian-American Student Union Hosting 2 Fundraisers for Devon

Post by JtS »

Asian-American Student Union Hosts Two Fundraisers for Devon Walker

April 12, 2013 - Tulane's Asian-American Student Union Talent Show

The Asian-American Student Union is holding its annual talent show on Friday, April 12, at 7 p.m. in McAlister Auditorium, Among the featured celebrities: Takeru Kobayashi (Coney Island hot dog eating champion) and Poreotics from America's Best Dance Crew. There will also be ten student acts. Tickets are $5 (free with student ID). Donations will be accepted for the Devon Walker Fund. All the proceeds from this event go towards the Devon Walker Fund.[/size]

[thumb2=https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sNlG ... +devon.jpg]Flyer for AASU presents - TULANE'S GOT TALENT![/thumb2]

April 8-12, 2013 - Origami Paper Crane Fundraising for Devon Walker

From April 8-12, the Asian-American Student Union is hosting a unique fundraiser for Devon Walker: origami paper crane folding sessions. Tulanians are invited to drop by, learn to fold cranes, and dedicate messages to Devon Walker. For every crane folded, a private donor will give $1 to the Devon Walker Fund. (Up to $3000.) Monday-Friday, April 8-11, Pedersen Lounge in the LBC, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. every day.[/size]
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

BTW, FWIW, Graff mentioned that Devon was in attendance at the baseball game last night.
(I hope that the game's outcome did not set back his recovery)
JtS
Regent's Circle

Devon's Den

Post by JtS »

CLICK HERE TO REACH DONATION PAGE

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/ot/devonsden.html
dz
Crest Level

Post by dz »

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Former Tulane safety Devon Walker still rehabilitating, but expected to be a part of the program this fall
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
One of the ideas getting tossed around is getting Walker to help break down recruiting film.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Devon Walker has a new blog (Devon's Den blog) on http://www.TulaneGreenWave.com containing many of the events, milestones and daily life of Devon. The blog is very informative, however we still can keep up with Devon here. Feel free to post what you think is interesting and important.

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/ot/devons-den-blog.html

Devon's Den blog contains pictures of all Tulane's DBs visiting Devon, his new niece, Devon's first day back on campus for classes. In addition, there are videos of Devon's participation in the Inaugural First Down Divas Football Clinic and the construction for Devon's Den. Again, the information is on Devon's Den blog at the above link.

Thanks and attribution to http://www.TulaneGreenWave.com
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

ESPN came to Tulane's campus to interview Devon, his teammates, family and friends about that football game on September 8, 2012 in Tulsa. The feature will air on ESPN's College GameDay this Saturday, September 7. Here is the trailer. The Tulane family will always have Devon in our prayers. Stay strong, Devon!

From Devon's Den blog

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/ot/devons-den-blog.html
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Saw Devon in the airport a couple of weeks ago traveling with his family. His chariot is something to see and clearly provides him mobility that folks with a bad spinal injury could only dream about several decades ago.

I wished him well. He seemed in good spirits. My spirits improved too after meeting him.
TUStrozier13
Rookie

Post by TUStrozier13 »

Please come out and support!! Devon has started his very own non-profit. His mission is to enhance the quality of life for individuals with spinal cord injuries through adaptive equipment, physical therapy, and advances in medical treatment. He aims to create global awareness and education towards the subject in efforts to prevent and cure the condition. This basketball game will help jumpstart the funds for that foundation.

In addition to the basketball game, there will be some big names in the building, food, music, and lots of family fun. Come out and have a good time!!

Devon will be selling his new signature t-shirts and wristbands as well

ROLL WAVE!!! #18 #WALKWITHDEVON
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Charity basketball game happening again this year per Tulane football twitter.

https://tinyurl.com/y8q2eg6n