Brian Bogusevic

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Brian Bogusevic

Post by Yankeewave »

3 for 4 with a HR, 2B and a BB.

Nice job
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

BB now has 2 HR's and is hitting .305 after 59 AB's. I hope he's playing his way into more AB's down the stretch.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

long green wrote:BB now has 2 HR's and is hitting .305 after 59 AB's. I hope he's playing his way into more AB's down the stretch.
he really couldn't have asked for a better situation with all of the trades the cubs have made. I think he'll be splitting AB's with Sweeney. i might have to get some tickets before the end of the year.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Yankeewave wrote:
long green wrote:BB now has 2 HR's and is hitting .305 after 59 AB's. I hope he's playing his way into more AB's down the stretch.
he really couldn't have asked for a better situation with all of the trades the cubs have made. I think he'll be splitting AB's with Sweeney. i might have to get some tickets before the end of the year.

They're so bad you will get them below face . . . .A certain Iowan we know has a bunch in September that he might give you for free
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

@Cubs: #Cubs now lead 6-0 on Brian Bogusevic's 2-run triple.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Cubs lost Friday night, but Brian is hitting .302.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

announcers last night were talking about how it really stunk that he missed time with the hammy as he would have seen lots of AB's but that he is still making the best of his chance now and should continue to get AB's.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

2 RBI double for Bogey last night (only 2 runs for Cubs) continues to do well.
SoFlaWave
Coach Level

Post by SoFlaWave »

Bogusevic just hit a solo homer against the beloved Marlins. Fish still up 3-1 in the fifth.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

PH single and run in 9th today
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

3 for 4with a homer! Hitting .292
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

.292/5/15 are his "triple crown" numbers. What's really good is that he's now over 100 AB with more to come. He has 28 AB in September alone and he's hitting .357. He should be assuring himself a job but his age is against him in his quest for a full time slot.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
bayouman
Coach Level

Post by bayouman »

Looks like they're still not playing him against left-handed pitching. He's improved as a hitter and has all the other tools, but until they let him hit regularly against lefties we won't know if .270+ is where he is now as a hitter, or whether he's still a sub-.230 guy. He was real good against righties a couple of years ago for Houston, but wasn't able to translate that into everyday hitting against both lefties and righties.

He has so many other abilities that you hope there's a place for him going forward with the Cubbies, even if he's a situational left-handed bat and spot starter.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

If he had been a full time outfielder for all these years and was still at this level, I think he'd be in trouble. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt because he was a pitcher for so many years and didn't concentrate on hitting. Plus, the cubs are horrible and I don't think they are going to start spending cash for another year or two. So he might be able to stick around while they are treading water.
maddog
President's Circle

Post by maddog »

Hit a pinch homer yesterday in a Cubs win.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

traded to marlins. too bad, he gave me a reason to pay attention to the Cubs last year

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/ ... -bogusevic
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Yankeewave wrote:traded to marlins. too bad, he gave me a reason to pay attention to the Cubs last year

I don't understand that trade. Swapping two guys with similar skill sets, nearly the same age. Ruggiano has slightly better numbers in the bigs... why would the Marlins have agreed to that deal (unless it was purely a contract thing)?
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

From the Miami Herald:

9:30 a.m. update: The Marlins have made their second trade of the winter meetings, dealing OF Justin Ruggiano to the Cubs for outfielder Brian Bogusevic.

Bogusevic, a 28-year-old left handed hitter, hit .273 with six homers and 16 RBI in 47 games last season. He played a lot more in 2012 but hit just .203 with seven homers, 28 RBI and 15 steals for the Astros in 146 games. He has a .236 career average with 17 homers and 62 RBI in 299 major league games.

Ruggiano, who would have been slightly more expensive than Bogusevic because Ruggiano is arbitration-eligible, saw his average drop from .313 in 2012 to .222 in 2013, though his home runs increased (from 13 to 18), as did his RBI (36 to 50).

Bogusevic, taken by Houston with the 24th overall pick in the first round of the 2005 draft, projects as a fourth outfielder for the Marlins.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:traded to marlins. too bad, he gave me a reason to pay attention to the Cubs last year

I don't understand that trade. Swapping two guys with similar skill sets, nearly the same age. Ruggiano has slightly better numbers in the bigs... why would the Marlins have agreed to that deal (unless it was purely a contract thing)?
Is there any other reason why the Marlins do anything?
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Is there any other reason why the Marlins do anything?
i was about ot make fun of the Marlins, then I remembered they've won two titles since the Cubs have.
stinks for brian though, he probably liked playing in chicago
wave-em in
President's Circle

Post by wave-em in »

Well, it he ends up in AA-Jacksonville, I'll get to go see him at Maritime Park.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

From the Miami Herald

### Concerns were voiced about Marcell Ozuna, who is 5 for 36 this spring. But manager Mike Redmond said today he still expects him to start in center field.

“Last two weeks will be key for him, because this is the time pitchers break out their breaking stuff, and he’s vulnerable to that,” one scout said. “He’s a wild swinger. The tools are there, but he’s had a bad spring. If they go with a [Brian] Bogusevic/Reed Johnson platoon instead, those guys are serviceable.”

Johnson (13 for 29 this spring) has been much better than Bogusevic (6 for 29). Jeff Baker also could see time in left field. And Jake Marisnick can’t be ruled out if he keeps hitting like this (.375 this spring).

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

FW wrote:Bogusevic (6 for 29)
Ouch. A player in Brian's situation needs to be well above the Mendoza line if he's gonna have a shot at the bigs this year. If he doesn't make the bigs and stick, his career is probably about at an end.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

he had a great spring last year and did pretty well with the cubs during the season. hope he gets a shot
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Spring training stats are meaningless, though that doesn't necessarily preclude a stupid team for making decisions based on them.