Star Wars, still on people's minds

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Star Wars, still on people's minds

Unread post by PeteRasche »

New trailer to be debuted tonight during Monday Night Football... immediately after which, tickets will go on sale for the movie which doesn't come out until December 18th. :shock:

Hmmmm.... while obviously there are a lot of people who like both football and Star Wars, I had a mental image of all of thes geeky fanboys (non-football fan types) having to suffer through the NYG/Eagles game in order to see the trailer first. :lol:

Why would they do that? OHHHHHH... Star Wars owned by Disney... ESPN owned by Disney... Monday Night Football on ESPN... Disney gives its Monday night ratings winner an even bigger boost, especially a game that pretty much everyone not on the East coast wouldn't care about.

Fall sweeps start in two weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if another trailer was in store...
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

looks pretty good. the only one i'd consider to be a really good film is the Empire Strikes Back, and I'm a huge a Star Wars nerd. curious why there is no Luke on the movie poster...all kinds of theories. I'm just happy that Lucas and his obsession with computer imaging and special affects are done
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Yankeewave wrote:looks pretty good. the only one i'd consider to be a really good film is the Empire Strikes Back, and I'm a huge a Star Wars nerd. curious why there is no Luke on the movie poster...all kinds of theories. I'm just happy that Lucas and his obsession with computer imaging and special affects are done
The geek opinion amongst the engineers in my office today is that Luke is the robotic hand reaching out and touching R2D2 in the trailer... But yeah, not having him in the poster is curious.

I wonder if they'll keep him completely out of the story and then have him, as an old man, appear at the last minute to use the Force and save everyone.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

other theory i've seen is that he is the bad dude, who looks at vader's helmet and says he will finish what he started. there would be a certain symmetry to Luke turning bad, but I doubt it, more guessing he pulled a Yoda and is chilling on Tatooine
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Yankeewave wrote:other theory i've seen is that he is the bad dude, who looks at vader's helmet and says he will finish what he started. there would be a certain symmetry to Luke turning bad, but I doubt it, more guessing he pulled a Yoda and is chilling on Tatooine
Nah, Abrams is enough of a fan to know that he'd alienate all the fanboys immediately.

One theory I had: the new bad guy is obsessed with the legend of Darth Vader... the big fireball you see rolling across a forest in the trailer is the Empire laying waste to Endor and eradicating the Ewoks, after which they search for and find the burial site of Darth Vader, leading to the scene where you see the melted mask (melted when Luke burned Vader at the end of ROTJ) and the bad guy "talking to" it.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

that'd be too bad. i like the ewoks
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Yankeewave wrote:other theory i've seen is that he is the bad dude, who looks at vader's helmet and says he will finish what he started. there would be a certain symmetry to Luke turning bad, but I doubt it, more guessing he pulled a Yoda and is chilling on Tatooine
Didn't the helmet get burned with he body? Seems like whoever got it had to be there.
Victory is never permanent
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
Nah, Abrams is enough of a fan to know that he'd alienate all the fanboys immediately.

One theory I had: the new bad guy is obsessed with the legend of Darth Vader... the big fireball you see rolling across a forest in the trailer is the Empire laying waste to Endor and eradicating the Ewoks, after which they search for and find the burial site of Darth Vader, leading to the scene where you see the melted mask (melted when Luke burned Vader at the end of ROTJ) and the bad guy "talking to" it.
There's some old video footage out there of Mark Hamill trying to talk JJ Abrams into having Luke go dark.

Hamill is in the movie in some capacity; we'll just have to see what. The trailer looks great (but then I'ld expect it to). We'll see.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
Um, I don't think anything could alienate the fanboys. Have you seen the prequels?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

You notice that since Disney bought the rights it doesn't ever come on tv anymore?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

OGSB wrote:You notice that since Disney bought the rights it doesn't ever come on tv anymore?
Star Wars? I don't ever remember it being on TV.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

windywave wrote:
OGSB wrote:You notice that since Disney bought the rights it doesn't ever come on tv anymore?
Star Wars? I don't ever remember it being on TV.
Ok, I just entered Philip K D!ck territory.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Google hides Star Wars easter egg in its search function
Basically, all you have to do is search for “a long time ago in a galaxy far far away,” and the page will suddenly flip to black. But, even better, all the search results are displayed in the iconic Star Wars scroll. Heck, they even have John Willams' famous score accompanying your search (which is a nice detail).
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

there are too many pages on this thread for to go through, so excuse me if this was discussed... I read an article a couple of weeks ago that suggested that Jar Jar Binks was actually evil and orchestrated the Emperor taking over the galaxy. The theory did mention that Lucas probably intended it to happen that way but the negative backlash from Jar Jar from Episode 1 made him alter the story line.

It had some really good points like "why would two Jedi (Guigan and Obi Wan) allow a bumbling idiot to tag around with them after they made it to the queen?" and "could such an idiot successfully convince the entire trade federation to allow Palpatine to become what would turn into the emperor?" They also had a video shot showing that Jar Jar had to be a Sith or Jedi master... the scene was when Guigan and Obi Wan were up above a legion of droid soldiers.. they jumped down while Jar Jar clung to the wall like a bumbling boob... there was a sequence where one of the robot droids looks up and fires up to where you thought Jar Jar was hanging.. but then Jar Jar lands far to the right of it, as if he performed some incredible maneuver using the force... and then that same droid looks over to him. That was no error in editing.. that was scripted to happen that way. There were some other facts about things Jar Jar did that were just beyond bumbling.. yeah, on the surface it looked like he just got lucky.. but it happened so often, it should have made you wonder.

Anyway, great theory.. and I agree that it is plausible that Lucas originally wanted Jar Jar to be the baddie... but chickened out when audiences revolted over him.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

The "Jar Jar is evil" thing has taken some internet legs, second only to "#wheresluke" regarding his conspicuous (and, per JJ Abrams, intentional) non-inclusion in the trailers and on the movie poster.

I got my tickets for Saturday morning (12/19) matinee. Didn't want to bother with the crowds Thursday or even Friday. I hate to say it, but I also have a bad feeling that somewhere in this country on Thursday night, someone's gonna go all Aurora Colorado during the premiere. Apparently most (if not all?) theaters have already announced that no costuming will be allowed, for security reasons.
Last edited by PeteRasche on Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

BTW, if you missed it, this is brilliant if only for the George Lucas parts... (okay, and Beckham with BB-8, and Danny DeVito....)

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:BTW, if you missed it, this is brilliant if only for the George Lucas parts... (okay, and Beckham with BB-8, and Danny DeVito....)

not only not brilliant.. not funny and not original.. SNL did this about two decades ago...

Kevin Spacey doing Christopher Walken auditioning to be Han Solo:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYBDHCmlXco[/youtube]

Kevin Spacey doing Jack Lemmon auditioning for Chewbacca:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmigAcg7Y_k[/youtube]

Ana Gasteyer doing Barbara Streisand auditioning for Leia:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgzoMVQy7ss[/youtube]

Spacey also did Walter Mathau auditioning for Obi Wan and Darrel Hammond did Richard Dreyfus auditioning to be C3PO... those all were funny.

OK< so I guess I failed embedding videos
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:BTW, if you missed it, this is brilliant if only for the George Lucas parts... (okay, and Beckham with BB-8, and Danny DeVito....)

not only not brilliant.. not funny and not original.. SNL did this about two decades ago...

Spacey also did Walter Mathau auditioning for Obi Wan and Darrel Hammond did Richard Dreyfus auditioning to be C3PO... those all were funny.

Gotta take out the s in https
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

I'm aware it's been done. Did you watch the new one and not laugh at a few parts? All I said was parts of it were brilliant. "I find your lack of Coke Zero disturbing". :lol:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYBDHCmlXco[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmigAcg7Y_k[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgzoMVQy7ss[/youtube]

Make it http instead of https
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

What Gretna said
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Anyone else bemused at the full on marketing push?
.. I mean really like this isn't going to sell tickets
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:Anyone else bemused at the full on marketing push?
True... But they aren't trying to get you to the theater, they're trying to get you to buy toys. :mrgreen:
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:Anyone else bemused at the full on marketing push?
yes, they should rightfully expect to beat Avengers and challenge Dances With Wolves - Blue Alien Version (Avatar) at the box office, but you have to remember there is an entire new generation of movie goers who did not see the first six. Gotta hype them up, too.

You also have to bring back into the fold the nut balls who are still butthurt over Jar Jar, emo Anakin, and dying from a broken heart.. and even more who never got over the Ewoks bringing down the empire.

Sort like Luke here in this video:

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

If you're going to cite Robot Chicken, you have to include their funniest (of their many) Star Wars bits: