New Terminal for Louis Armstrong N.O.International Airport

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: New Terminal for Louis Armstrong N.O.International Airpo

Post by PeteRasche »

Prof, out of your field here, see what tucal said. Too many people assume that renovations are just wasteful expenditures to make things pretty, but rarely is there not a good reason or fifty.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

MattK wrote:Is it 2 concourses with room for a third?

I heard a rumor a while back that a direct flight to London was in the works. No idea if that's true, but it would be awesome.
Two 15 gate concourses. Future expansion can add two 6 gate concourses - one on each side of the terminal, for a total of 42 gates. (One common TSA security checkpoint.) With a Virgin Hotel coming to the City, I believe that there are efforts to bring in Virgin Atlantic. I think that's where the London rumor comes from.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

TU77CAL82 wrote:

I heard a rumor a while back that a direct flight to London was in the works. No idea if that's true, but it would be awesome.
Two 15 gate concourses. Future expansion can add two 6 gate concourses - one on each side of the terminal, for a total of 42 gates. (One common TSA security checkpoint.) With a Virgin Hotel coming to the City, I believe that there are efforts to bring in Virgin Atlantic. I think that's where the London rumor comes from.
My daughter flies Virgin Atlantic to London monthly and has great things to say about it. It's a partner of Delta and if you have Platinum status or higher, the V-A lounges are excellent.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

We have a friend who lives near Windsor, works for a record company. Loves virgin as well. Would be great for them to fly to New Orleans
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Austin just got its first direct flight to London (BA) about a year and a half ago and it really makes a difference for those who travel internationally and can connect through Heathrow. Doesn't help me much cause I connect thru Vienna. :(
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:

Austin just got its first direct flight to London (BA) about a year and a half ago and it really makes a difference for those who travel internationally and can connect through Heathrow. Doesn't help me much cause I connect thru Vienna. :(
Just avoid De Gaulle at all costs! 8)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Guys most likely not going to be virgin Atlantic
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:

Only done De Gaulle twice and that was enough. Brings up a funny travel story though. One day ... :wink:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I think it's too bad that Miami supplanted Moisant as the gateway to Central and South America. That was a missed opportunity that would have really helped the city in so many ways. Back in my Tulane days Latin American Studies was a pretty strong program and we got a number of sons/daughters of Latin business moguls attending Tulane who then returned home with Tulane ties.

I am sure someone here understands why Moisant lost out, or was ever in the running, but that could have been a boon.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:

AMEN!

Amsterdam is also a good connecting airport.

BTW, is there any European airline Delta ISN'T partnered with at this stage? I know they're with KLM (Dutch, and highly recommended), Virgin and AirFrance.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Avoid De Galles at all costs. We've flown out of it twice when we ended two trips by renting an apartment for a week in Paris. It's worth it for a full week. Barely. De Galles is that bad.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote:
TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:

AMEN!

BTW, is there any European airline Delta ISN'T partnered with at this stage? I know they're with KLM (Dutch, and highly recommended), Virgin and AirFrance.
Lufthansa, which is Star Alliance whereas Delta and partners are SkyMiles. Lufthansa has a significant share of the Central Europe market. If you use them, Munich is a nice connecting airport.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:I think it's too bad that Miami supplanted Moisant as the gateway to Central and South America. That was a missed opportunity that would have really helped the city in so many ways. Back in my Tulane days Latin American Studies was a pretty strong program and we got a number of sons/daughters of Latin business moguls attending Tulane who then returned home with Tulane ties.

I am sure someone here understands why Moisant lost out, or was ever in the running, but that could have been a boon.
I'll just assume someone(s) had their hand out a little too long...
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote: AMEN!

Lufthansa, which is Star Alliance whereas Delta and partners are SkyMiles. Lufthansa has a significant share of the Central Europe market. If you use them, Munich is a nice connecting airport.
True; flying into Eastern Europe you pretty much have to either go Air France (with DeGaulle connection (ugh)), KLM, or Lufthansa...or take you life into your hands by flying one of the national airlines of one of the Eastern European countries.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
TUPF wrote:
sr wrote:

AMEN!

Vienna is another good city to find direct flights to out-of-the-way cities in eastern Europe and points east and south. My routings to and from Vienna would take me through Dulles which I could never ever depart on time when travelling back to TX.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

British Airways will be starting flights to London 4 days a week.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... river_home
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

MattK wrote:British Airways will be starting flights to London 4 days a week.

Woot!

And once there there are super cheap connections anywhere else in Europe. Only problem is those usually go out of London Stanstead which is a trek. Also taking off at 3 PM, landing at 7, and you've been in the air for 10 hours, isn't the best. I'd rather overnight. But I'll take it. Now that we'll be flying more we have to put price ahead of everything else.

Can we now add a direct to Madrid? Not likely, but you'd make my day Louis Armstrong!
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

WaveProf wrote:

Woot!

And once there there are super cheap connections anywhere else in Europe. Only problem is those usually go out of London Stanstead which is a trek. Also taking off at 3 PM, landing at 7, and you've been in the air for 10 hours, isn't the best. I'd rather overnight. But I'll take it. Now that we'll be flying more we have to put price ahead of everything else.

Can we now add a direct to Madrid? Not likely, but you'd make my day Louis Armstrong!
Pretty sure they screwed up the 'am/pm' thing on 7:30 arrival.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

MattK wrote: Pretty sure they screwed up the 'am/pm' thing on 7:30 arrival.
Totally correct. Dont know how I didn't catch that.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:

Woot!

Just Fly Aer Lingus
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Obvious but needed for this news....
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote:
MattK wrote: Pretty sure they screwed up the 'am/pm' thing on 7:30 arrival.
Totally correct. Dont know how I didn't catch that.
Still not ideal, though...takeoff at 3 means you're landing at 1am which is really 7 local time--rough day.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

ml wave wrote: Still not ideal, though...takeoff at 3 means you're landing at 1am which is really 7 local time--rough day.
Especially with a 4 year old. Especially with needing a connecting flight after that to somewhere else (and then renting a car or taking a train). But baby steps.
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Post by tumbuuh »

WaveProf wrote:
ml wave wrote: Still not ideal, though...takeoff at 3 means you're landing at 1am which is really 7 local time--rough day.
Especially with a 4 year old. Especially with needing a connecting flight after that to somewhere else (and then renting a car or taking a train). But baby steps.
No the times were right, but they reported the wrong flight direction. Surprise surprise the NOLA Advocate got it right:
From NOLA to London - leave 9:10 pm arrive at noon (next day)
From London to NOLA - leave 3:40 pm arrive at 7:40 pm (same day)

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... ft_amplify
We praise thee for thy future, Alma Mater;
The vista of its glory gleameth far.
We shall ever be part of thee, great Mother;
Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Now that's better!