Do not tweet at recruits

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Re: Do not tweet at recruits

Post by Sophandros »

ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
windywave wrote:Also it may be against the rules.
Troy Dannen retweeted the flowchart from Tulane Compliance. I think any of us who contribute to TAF absolutely should not tweet at recruits. It's probably best if NONE OF US does so, as the NCAA may decide that purchasing tickets makes one a booster in the event that they want to make an example out of someone.
I don't tweet at recruits, but you're delusional if you think the NCAA cares. Please go look at the twitter page of any recruit that has offers from an SEC school or Ohio State, etc. They often retweet stuff "fans" ask them to, and I'd guarantee these fans donate money to the school. A lot of the kids love it, and eat up the attention.
Yeah, that's pretty silly. They let actual "cheating" go without punishment, they're definitely not cracking down on twitter.
All it takes is one person with an agenda to make it an issue. It's better not to provide such people with the rope they will later use to hang you.

Many players and their families have accepted bribes from agents and continue to do so. However, all it took was one person with an agenda to open the door for the NCAA to absolutely screw USC over.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

algirau wrote:Im 27 so not far removed. Im also in New Orleans.

This is the whole point of twitter, immediate interaction. Get off your high horse.

I tweeted Mark Cuban before and got a response. You all need to relax. If you don't agree with how to use Twitter then don't. But don't bash others for using "social media". Its the 21st century.

Im not advocating harassment but get a grip or get off social media. I prefer to contibute to social media and the digital universe and not just be a passive consumer like 98% of the world.

Are we recruiting Mark Cuban?

A little small & slow and I think he bought his 4 stars.

But let him play special teams, graduate and become an alum...and donate.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

JtS wrote:
Are we recruiting Mark Cuban?
We should be he could pay for an IPF with petty cash.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Sophandros wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
Troy Dannen retweeted the flowchart from Tulane Compliance. I think any of us who contribute to TAF absolutely should not tweet at recruits. It's probably best if NONE OF US does so, as the NCAA may decide that purchasing tickets makes one a booster in the event that they want to make an example out of someone.
I don't tweet at recruits, but you're delusional if you think the NCAA cares. Please go look at the twitter page of any recruit that has offers from an SEC school or Ohio State, etc. They often retweet stuff "fans" ask them to, and I'd guarantee these fans donate money to the school. A lot of the kids love it, and eat up the attention.
Yeah, that's pretty silly. They let actual "cheating" go without punishment, they're definitely not cracking down on twitter.
All it takes is one person with an agenda to make it an issue. It's better not to provide such people with the rope they will later use to hang you.

Many players and their families have accepted bribes from agents and continue to do so. However, all it took was one person with an agenda to open the door for the NCAA to absolutely hose USC over.
And somebody is going to win the Powerball, maybe you should empty your savings account.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

algirau wrote:The inherent risk that I will acknowledge is that he might get "turned off". However, I think it is more probable that he will agree with (or at least is already considering) the obvious facts that were in my tweet.

Calculated risk. So sue me. Im an entrepreneur, my life is a calculated risk.
Except it isn't our place, nor our business, to choose to take that calculated risk.

Not tweeting at high school athletes isn't being adverse to the modern era, its simply knowing right from wrong.

There are a HOST of reasons you shouldn't tweet at them and not a single (good) reason why you should.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Now that we've jumped the Prof, I say that this tiresome display of piety (everyone playing right/wrong card) can be locked and stay up both as a warning and as a reminder that Tulane would rather its fans not tweet recruits directly. The practice of doing so is tacky, not illegal, nor is it immoral.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

long green wrote:Now that we've jumped the Prof, I say that this tiresome display of piety (everyone playing right/wrong card) can be locked and stay up both as a warning and as a reminder that Tulane would rather its fans not tweet recruits directly. The practice of doing so is tacky, not illegal, nor is it immoral.
I didn't say immoral. It's not immoral. I'm not on a high horse. Wrong doesn't say immoral. Wrong says you shouldn't do it. That there are good reasons not to do it. Reasons such as Tulane says they don't want you to do it. The NCAA doesn't want you to do it. it isn't our business to try to change the life decisions of minors we don't even know. Being a fan doesnt make one an active participant, not everything in life gets to be something you have an active enrollment in. And a whole host of other reasons.

Every reason "to" do it has to do with the person choosing to do it. Every reason "not" to do it has to do with the school, the player, the head coach, other fans, parents, essentially how it impacts the rest of the world. That should say something about if you should or should not do it.

You aren't awful if you do. And you certainly aren't immoral. But you're still "wrong" to do it.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Yeah, and can we get back to filing our team with quality young men. Be good to hear some recruiting news today. Hint, hint...
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

The article is shocking. I can't believe Rutgers has boosters or anybody that actually cares about their program.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

NJwave wrote:

The article is shocking. I can't believe Rutgers has boosters or anybody that actually cares about their program.
Booster club meeting?

sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

A couple of boosters like those would take care of the nimby issue. We could use a little pressure in the right places.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Some of the responses in this thread are great examples of reactance.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

Probably good practice just not to tweet at any underage boys.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

QuarterbackU wrote:Probably good practice just not to tweet at any underage boys.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

QuarterbackU wrote:Probably good practice just not to tweet at any underage boys.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Now there's somene who calls himself "Tulane Sports", who has nothing to do with Tulane, tweeting out misinformation and old information. Tulane should shut him down for trademark violation.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

GSx wrote:Now there's somene who calls himself "Tulane Sports", who has nothing to do with Tulane, tweeting out misinformation and old information. Tulane should shut him down for trademark violation.
If they won't shut down those who pass themselves off as "The University of Louisiana," why would you expect them to shut down this jerk?
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Roller wrote:
GSx wrote:Now there's somene who calls himself "Tulane Sports", who has nothing to do with Tulane, tweeting out misinformation and old information. Tulane should shut him down for trademark violation.
If they won't shut down those who pass themselves off as "The University of Louisiana," why would you expect them to shut down this jerk?
Tulane expressly gave USL permission to rebrand as UL-L. Huge difference. That said, it's petty and beneath us to talk about that, or quite frankly, them.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Post by JtS »

Sophandros wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
Sophandros wrote:

Many players and their families have accepted bribes from agents and continue to do so. However, all it took was one person with an agenda to open the door for the NCAA to absolutely hose USC over.
A couple of years ago, there was a "fan" that tweeted a highly rated player we were recruiting about the upside of coming to Tulane. After the kid committed elsewhere, this "fan" decided to castigate the player about what a big mistake the kid was making. Crap like - He will never start, not play until he was a R-JR, only play special teams, the education sucked, he would regret this decision for the rest of his life. The player blocked our fan and within 24 hours, our "fan" deleted all the offending tweets (apparently, Compliance sent the "fan" a note). But deleting a tweet is like herding cats.

Later I spoke with our coach recruiting the player and he said we still had a chance with the kid. The asinine tweets did not lose the player. But it did not help.

Of course, the "fan" bragged about his delusional victory...

Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Sophandros wrote:Tulane expressly gave USL permission to rebrand as UL-L. Huge difference. That said, it's petty and beneath us to talk about that, or quite frankly, them.
As fans, we were never polled.

But we were shafted.

Now, I guess I need to PhotoShop my diploma.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Sophandros wrote:
Roller wrote:
When was this?
Tulane expressly gave USL permission to rebrand as UL-L. Huge difference. That said, it's petty and beneath us to talk about that, or quite frankly, them.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Roller wrote:
Sophandros wrote:Tulane expressly gave USL permission to rebrand as UL-L. Huge difference. That said, it's petty and beneath us to talk about that, or quite frankly, them.
As fans, we were never polled.

But we were shafted.

Now, I guess I need to PhotoShop my diploma.
It's really not that big of a deal. My diploma also says The Tulane University of Louisiana. I don't lose sleep over ULL. The history is still there and will never go away.

It does absolutely no good whatsoever to obsess over this.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

windywave wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
Roller wrote:
When was this?
It happened when they rebranded. They had to ask our permission to do so and we granted it. For years they were part of the University of Louisiana system, but that system had no flagship, due to the LSU contingency in the state legislature. Finally, they were allowed to be named the flagship school of the system, but that required our approval. We granted it.

If anything, we should be happy as this sticks it to LSU.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I think a shakeup is coming but we'll do okay out of it. Lose some, win some.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes