"Most Intense" Universities

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

"Most Intense" Universities

Post by PeteRasche »

Clickbait on the "work hard, play hard" angle.

We're scored an "A+" on both categories, yet we're ranked 28th; schools which are not scored as highly are ranked ahead of us. That makes total sense. :roll:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/smar ... hk#image=3
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: "Most Intense" Universities

Post by WaveProf »

"Undertow: students describe struggle to achieve Tulane's unattainable cultural standard"

http://www.tulanehullabaloo.com/news/ar ... 7f26b.html
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

What a bunch of pussies. Tulane has always been party hard study hard. Maybe they should get their blankies and go to the safe space and share how traumatized they are.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Through dozens of interviews, students repeatedly said they felt the perfect Tulane student goes out multiple nights a week while maintaining good grades, a high level of involvement on campus, an attractive physical appearance and money to spare. Students reported it seems the Tulane culture pressures people to fit an extreme standard socially, physically and academically. These pressures are not unique to Tulane, though many students pointed out an especially intense, socially-focused type of perfectionism within Tulane's culture.
Yeah, and if you surf Facebook you'll see that everyone is on a tropical vacation, have kids who behave perfectly all the time, have great jobs, make tons of money, never ever sit home on a weekend night, and are immensely happy.

At some point you have to realize that social media exposes you to so many more people than before, and statistically, there's always someone doing something you wish you were doing. The sooner these kids realize that, the sooner they'll get over this "undertow" BS.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Life is hard, life is not fair and water is wet. Looks like I'll be working through my retirement years.

What happens when the trust funds dry up?!
Plan your work, work your plan.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
Through dozens of interviews, students repeatedly said they felt the perfect Tulane student goes out multiple nights a week while maintaining good grades, a high level of involvement on campus, an attractive physical appearance and money to spare. Students reported it seems the Tulane culture pressures people to fit an extreme standard socially, physically and academically. These pressures are not unique to Tulane, though many students pointed out an especially intense, socially-focused type of perfectionism within Tulane's culture.
Yeah, and if you surf Facebook you'll see that everyone is on a tropical vacation, have kids who behave perfectly all the time, have great jobs, make tons of money, never ever sit home on a weekend night, and are immensely happy.

At some point you have to realize that social media exposes you to so many more people than before, and statistically, there's always someone doing something you wish you were doing. The sooner these kids realize that, the sooner they'll get over this "undertow" BS.
That and most people post very idealized versions of their lives; social media is usually just a highlight reel.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I am very late to social media; finally joined a month ago. The good thing about being a late adopter is that hopefully I have learned what to do and not do from others. I am amazed at what some people post--and that is just from the folks I know and have "friended". I learned which "friends" to accept and even when I have accepted, how to block the drivel some folks seem incapable of not posting. Politics/religion are the worst, followed closely by those posters possessed of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, followed by silly games/quizzes. Really don't care what bar you drank at or what you cooked for dinner but some folks certainly keep on trying. My commanding officer's caution back in 1978 to never be photographed with a drink in hand still holds true--if anything it's more important now because it lasts forever. It's good to get glimpses of what is going on with friends and family but in the end does not replace actually being with someone.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

TUPF wrote:I am very late to social media; finally joined a month ago. The good thing about being a late adopter is that hopefully I have learned what to do and not do from others. I am amazed at what some people post--and that is just from the folks I know and have "friended". I learned which "friends" to accept and even when I have accepted, how to block the drivel some folks seem incapable of not posting. Politics/religion are the worst, followed closely by those posters possessed of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, followed by silly games/quizzes. Really don't care what bar you drank at or what you cooked for dinner but some folks certainly keep on trying. My commanding officer's caution back in 1978 to never be photographed with a drink in hand still holds true--if anything it's more important now because it lasts forever. It's good to get glimpses of what is going on with friends and family but in the end does not replace actually being with someone.
You are absolutely correct. It's also worth remembering that anything you delete isn't really deleted; they still store it and it can be acquired with a subpoena. It's amazing how people don't realize this sort of thing.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Or, if it's scandalous enough, someone saw it the minute you posted it and did a screen capture, and it will go viral in the time it took you to delete it. How many stories do you see about celebrities posting something stupid or "insensitive" and then immediately deleting it, but the reason you are reading the story in the first place is because people captured it the minute it was posted?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Life's tough. Get a helmet.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Roller wrote:Life's tough. Get a helmet.
... and a bottle of Thunderbird. 8) 8)
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone