Legislature's Actions Threaten Med School

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Legislature's Actions Threaten Med School

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

UMC warns LSU, Tulane medical schools of deep cuts to residency programs
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... rt_m-rpt-2

It would be so easy to go political on this, but it's not necessary since the Senate and Governor won't let this happen. I'd love to be able to say a few choice words about that little twerp from Metairie though.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: Legislature's Actions Threaten Med School

Unread post by AO Sig »

There is already a shortage of doctors, in part because of insufficient residencies. Add lots more people to the roles via ACA, and the problem gets even worse.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Medical residency is federally funded by medicare.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I'm not sure that if that were to happen, it would hurt Tulane very much. Remember, unlike LSU, Tulane has its very own hospital. In fact it has two hospitals: Tulane Medical Center and Tulane-Lakeside. Both of which seem to be doing very well and have very little to do with the State.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

GreenieBacker wrote:I'm not sure that if that were to happen, it would hurt Tulane very much. Remember, unlike LSU, Tulane has its very own hospital. In fact it has two hospitals: Tulane Medical Center and Tulane-Lakeside. Both of which seem to be doing very well and have very little to do with the State.
But neither has the residency programs or infrastructure that would be shut down if this idiocy made it through. Fortunately, it appears this poor plan has already been quashed.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

there are residents all over the place at both hospitals. Why do you think LSU threw a fit over the managing board of the new "Charity"?......because we have our own hospitals and they do not. Its a much bigger deal for them.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:there are residents all over the place at both hospitals. Why do you think LSU threw a fit over the managing board of the new "Charity"?......because we have our own hospitals and they do not. Its a much bigger deal for them.
It is bigger for LoSer-U, but it would still be devastatingly bad for Tulane, too. Fortunately for everyone, it doesn't look like it will actually happen.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

won't be devastating for Tulane, but it will be inconvenient. Also, with TU's marriage to HCA their Residents would have access to Lakeview Medical Center in Covington. That's three pretty good sized hospitals that could all use Residents, Fellows, etc.

for LSU its a Doomsday scenario. And also terrible for the State as a whole.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:won't be devastating for Tulane, but it will be inconvenient. Also, with TU's marriage to HCA their Residents would have access to Lakeview Medical Center in Covington. That's three pretty good sized hospitals that could all use Residents, Fellows, etc.

It would be worse than you think. It would shut LoSer-U down; it wouldn't do that to Tulane, but it would create a lot of problems for certain programs, and require sudden and massive changes.

Keep in mind, it's more than just shuffling residents around; you need to have faculty on hand to supervise them, and patient flow in the particular specialties to use them. For some specialties, there likely would be little impact for Tulane. For others, you'ld have to make substantial changes to accommodate your current residents et al.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Gretna, Tulane Medical Center has Tulane Medical School literally across the street (I'm pretty sure you know that :wink: ). TMC is full of Medical Staff and Residents all over the place making rounds. Just walk around over there and you'll see them in packs visiting patients, huddling together, etc :-)
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:Gretna, Tulane Medical Center has Tulane Medical School literally across the street (I'm pretty sure you know that :wink: ). TMC is full of Medical Staff and Residents all over the place making rounds. Just walk around over there and you'll see them in packs visiting patients, huddling together, etc :-)
And it looks like there's room to add the others over at the other hospital? You've checked every specialty? Yes, they already have residents. This proposal would have forced them to suddenly add a whole lot more who are currently working elsewhere, and some of whose specialties are primarily housed elsewhere.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:won't be devastating for Tulane, but it will be inconvenient. Also, with TU's marriage to HCA their Residents would have access to Lakeview Medical Center in Covington. That's three pretty good sized hospitals that could all use Residents, Fellows, etc.

It would be worse than you think. It would shut LoSer-U down; it wouldn't do that to Tulane, but it would create a lot of problems for certain programs, and require sudden and massive changes.

Keep in mind, it's more than just shuffling residents around; you need to have faculty on hand to supervise them, and patient flow in the particular specialties to use them. For some specialties, there likely would be little impact for Tulane. For others, you'ld have to make substantial changes to accommodate your current residents et al.
Gretna I don't residency works the way you think it does. (One of the few times using that phrase isn't meant to be dick and condescending). Basically the infrastructure is having someone do the scheduling and the instructor is the doc doing the rounds or procedures. Wouldn't be that big of a lift. Also I will reiterate that the bulk of funding for the residency is provided by medicare. I don't really understand this kerfuffle.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Gretna I don't residency works the way you think it does. (One of the few times using that phrase isn't meant to be John Thomas and condescending). Basically the infrastructure is having someone do the scheduling and the instructor is the doc doing the rounds or procedures. Wouldn't be that big of a lift. Also I will reiterate that the bulk of funding for the residency is provided by medicare. I don't really understand this kerfuffle.
You have to have the time and space to accommodate the patient flow. That's the infrastructure I'm talking about; you need enough patients for all of the residents and places to see them.

I'm with you that this shouldn't be an issue; again, it looks like the idea has been shot down anyway, and it was stupid for a host of reasons to start with.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

I think we all agree that the idea was idiotic from the get go.