New Terminal for Louis Armstrong N.O.International Airport

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: New Terminal for Louis Armstrong N.O.International Airpo

Post by ml wave »

Much!
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Susan Spicer, Aaron Sanchez, Edgar Chase, John Besh among chefs headed to new Armstrong Airport terminal
http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... leans_news
The recommendation must still get approval from the New Orleans Aviation Board and the New Orleans City Council. The decision came after a full day of presentations from five competitors. A procession of New Orleans culinary stars who had teamed up with big national players in the airport food concession industry appeared in the Aviation Board's meeting room to make their pitches.

Delaware North-Chase Catering's offerings include:

Leah's Kitchen, developed by Edgar "Dooky" Chase IV in honor of his grandmother, Leah Chase.
Folse Market, by Chef John Folse featuring seafood, po'boys, charcuterie, coffee and wine.
Bar Sazerac, with New Orleans-cork sucker
Heritage School of Music Stage and Wine Bar, with live music produced in partnership with the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and Foundation.
NOLA Food Expo, a food hall featuring MoPho chef Michael Gulotta, Dook's Burgers & Brews and Ye Olde College Inn.
Pizza Domenica, bringing together chefs John Besh and Alon Shaya and partner Octavio Mantilla for an airport extension of the popular Uptown pizza restaurant.
Johnny Sanchez by chefs John Besh and Aaron Sanchez, an extension of their Central Business District upscale Mexican restaurant.
Angelo Brocato, the century-old gelato brand
PJ's Coffee

HMSHost's offerings include:

Mondo, by Chef Susan Spicer, an extension of her Lakeview restaurant with global cuisine.
Cure, a second location of the Freret Street bar founded by mixologist Neal Bodenheimer.
The Munch Factory, by husband-wife team Jordan and Alexis Ruiz, an extension of their restaurant that opened in Gentilly and recently moved to the Lower Garden District.
Emeril's Table, part of Chef Emeril Lagasse's empire.
Willie Mae's, the famous Treme fried chicken restaurant founded by Willie Mae Seaton. The group indicated in its presentation that Willie Mae's involvement in the project is not certain.
Lucky Dogs
National chains including AuntieAnne's pretzels, Starbucks, Burger King, The Great American Bagel and Panda Express.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

So, yeah, I'm just gonna fly to New Orleans, stay at an airport hotel, and eat in the airport... 8)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Hmmm...even two out of the three that lost out looked good.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

ml wave wrote:Hmmm...even two out of the three that lost out looked good.
Yeah. I was sitting here, thinking "they must have had a back-room coin-toss to decide that one." But then, I remembered that it is, after all, New Orleans, so there may have been some extra-curricular cash-flow involved.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:Hmmm...even two out of the three that lost out looked good.
Yeah. I was sitting here, thinking "they must have has a back-room coin-toss to decide that one." But then, I remembered that it is, after all, New Orleans, so there may have been some extra-curricular cash-flow involved.
So a coin toss...of a sort....
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Construction update:

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

New terminal at MSY opens tomorrow.

tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

This is going to very interesting. Delay after delay. Heard they are very concerned about the amount of sinkage that has occurred and the possibility of pipeline issues. We shall see.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

They are constantly talking and bragging about the food options. But, really, who eats at an airport? At a connector hub with a layover like Atlanta or Dallas or Chicago, maybe. But at an origin/destination airport like MSY? Honestly, why dies a destination/origin need any shiny bells and whistles at all?
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote:They are constantly talking and bragging about the food options. But, really, who eats at an airport? At a connector hub with a layover like Atlanta or Dallas or Chicago, maybe. But at an origin/destination airport like MSY? Honestly, why dies a destination/origin need any shiny bells and whistles at all?
I’ll field this one because I’ve spent a lot of times in airports.

-Just like the college arms race where no one needs a lazy river or an NFL locker room, it’s what peer airports have. An airport needs it to keep up. In my lifetime there were 1950s style airports where they wheeled the ladder up to the plane and the only sandwiches were from vending machines. Those days are gone everywhere except the puddle jumper airports in the Caribbean.
-Many eat at airports. It’s convenient for passengers who have to arrive earlier than in days past because of the TSA time suck, but often have time left over. I did and do, and if the food is from a good restaurant I’m apt to spend more and linger longer. Venders like that. I’ll even grab a bite upon arrival at a destination airport if I know I have a long ride ahead of me to my hotel.
-Upgraded terminals look better and make you want to linger longer. Old nasty ones have the appeal of an old Greyhound terminal and you can’t get out fast enough. It’s a self fulfilling business model
-These guys aren’t idiots. They know bells and whistles drive sales much better than broken down hellholes (paging LaGuardia). It’s all about the Benjamins.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
WaveProf wrote:They are constantly talking and bragging about the food options. But, really, who eats at an airport? At a connector hub with a layover like Atlanta or Dallas or Chicago, maybe. But at an origin/destination airport like MSY? Honestly, why dies a destination/origin need any shiny bells and whistles at all?

-Just like the college arms race where no one needs a lazy river or an NFL locker room, it’s what peer airports have. An airport needs it to keep up. In my lifetime there were 1950s style airports where they wheeled the ladder up to the plane and the only sandwiches were from vending machines. Those days are gone everywhere except the puddle jumper airports in the Caribbean.
-Many eat at airports. It’s convenient for passengers who have to arrive earlier than in days past because of the TSA time suck, but often have time left over. I did and do, and if the food is from a good restaurant I’m apt to spend more and linger longer. Venders like that. I’ll even grab a bite upon arrival at a destination airport if I know I have a long ride ahead of me to my hotel.
-Upgraded terminals look better and make you want to linger longer. Old nasty ones have the appeal of an old Greyhound terminal and you can’t get out fast enough. It’s a self fulfilling business model
-These guys aren’t idiots. They know bells and whistles drive sales much better than broken down hellholes (paging LaGuardia). It’s all about the Benjamins.

You forgot delays
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

TUPF wrote:

I will concur that the food choices do have some place in travel. Travelers are told to arrive 2 hours or more before their flights because of security timing. Having places that allow one to eat before the trip helps entice the folk to get their earlier, with convenience of decent places to eat. Orlando has several sit-down choices in addition to a food court before security adjacent to shopping; there are also sit-down choices once in the concourses (for instance, Delta's has Outback and an island places with Cuban/Caribbean choices, American has Ruby Tuesdays, among others).

We have used the Disney Magical Express between WDW and MCO; they always get us there 2 hours before our departure time. The choice of restaurants makes the wait go a lot faster.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

guess I'll see this on Dec. 26th rather than the old, musty terminal!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

My daughter and I are flying out for the 1st time from the new MSY terminal on 12/11 @ 7:05 AM to Pittsburgh through Nashville (with no plane change in Nashville...yay). Should be interesting. Not one that likes change, but with a little internet education and map help, we should be okay.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"