Shaun King to South Florida

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Shaun King to South Florida

Post by visualmagic »

Shaun King is expected to be named the new QB coach at USF.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Shaun King to South Florida

Post by GretnaGrn »

Good for him; he already has a coach's build. :mrgreen:

More seriously, I could see him doing well as a coach. Best of luck to him (except when they play us, of course).
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I had no idea he was even interested in coaching; the sports commentator gig is certainly less stressful work (though I don't know if he was making that much). I wonder if he ever made that known to a Tulane coaching staff.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

PeteRasche wrote:I had no idea he was even interested in coaching; the sports commentator gig is certainly less stressful work (though I don't know if he was making that much). I wonder if he ever made that known to a Tulane coaching staff.
He was really a downer to follow on twitter if you were a Tulane fan. His lack of enthusiasm bordered on disdain. He was Duke 24/7, even during our games.

He perked up a bit after Fritz and Dannen got hired.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

DrHullabaloo wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:I had no idea he was even interested in coaching; the sports commentator gig is certainly less stressful work (though I don't know if he was making that much). I wonder if he ever made that known to a Tulane coaching staff.
He was really a downer to follow on twitter if you were a Tulane fan. His lack of enthusiasm bordered on disdain. He was Duke 24/7, even during our games.

He perked up a bit after Fritz and Dannen got hired.
Basketball? Yes. He doesn't follow Duke football. He occasionally talked Tulane football, but we gave him nothing good to talk about and he sort of had a job with yahoosports covering college football and Tulane hasn't exactly been the topic of conversation. The most vocal he probably was about Tulane this year was when we were getting blown out by SMU. He was embarrassed and rightfully so. Not really sure what you wanted him to say. He talks Tulane any time it is even remotely relevant.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I pretty much agree with VM, though you'd like to see someone in his position try to use that podium to talk us up and even promote us. As a former athlete, I suppose you have pride in your alma mater up to a certain point and then you get fed up and throw in the towel. Shaun probably threw in the towel after seeing a few years of how RD was running things - I know I did (but I don't have a public podium so I don't really matter).
:dots:
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

He had a pic of him in Tulane clothes as his Twitter profile pic for a while and does tweet a good bit of Tulane related stuff.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I always thought of Shaun King as pretty active in referencing Tulane whenever we got off to a good start (for us) or otherwise made positive news (new coaching hire, etc). We haven't given him massive ammo and it isn't his job to be a homer. What little I saw/read I felt we actually got a bit of homerism.....just not mountains.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote:I always thought of Shaun King as pretty active in referencing Tulane whenever we got off to a good start (for us) or otherwise made positive news (new coaching hire, etc). We haven't given him massive ammo and it isn't his job to be a homer. What little I saw/read I felt we actually got a bit of homerism.....just not mountains.
This has been my impression, as well. He's also, if I remember right, mentioned that he was less than thrilled with Tulane's relations with former student-athletes in general under RD, which could have played a role in him not being more flagrantly a homer.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GretnaGrn wrote:
WaveProf wrote:I always thought of Shaun King as pretty active in referencing Tulane whenever we got off to a good start (for us) or otherwise made positive news (new coaching hire, etc). We haven't given him massive ammo and it isn't his job to be a homer. What little I saw/read I felt we actually got a bit of homerism.....just not mountains.
This has been my impression, as well. He's also, if I remember right, mentioned that he was less than thrilled with Tulane's relations with former student-athletes in general under RD, which could have played a role in him not being more flagrantly a homer.
Wasn't King on the committee of former athletes that analyzed how Tulane can improve its Athletic Department and direction? Formed after the Review in 2004. Perhaps they came to the conclusion that Tulane needed to win more games and RD didn't like that. Too simple.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Rotorooter wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
Wasn't King on the committee of former athletes that analyzed how Tulane can improve its Athletic Department and direction? Formed after the Review in 2004. Perhaps they came to the conclusion that Tulane needed to win more games and RD didn't like that. Too simple.
Yeah, too basic & straight forward. :oops:
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

So, does anyone know if Charlie Strong's gonna retain him on staff? Asking for... a friend. A Green Friend. :green wink:
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Bump. King will stay on staff under Strong and coach RBs.
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status ... 0607241219
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

1309th WAVE wrote:Bump. King will stay on staff under Strong and coach RBs.
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status ... 0607241219
Was just about to try and find this thread to post that
occasionally
Navigator Level

Post by occasionally »

Coming back to town Saturday with South Fla...
http://crescentcitysports.com/former-tu ... -saturday/
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Shaun was named AAC Recruiter of the year by 247 Sports.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Good for Shaun.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

would have been nice to see him on this Staff.........
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Now's our chance!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Now's our chance!
FTW retweeted the announcement of King getting the award and a USF person responded with "don't you f**king dare!" :lol: :lol:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Now's our chance!
FTW retweeted the announcement of King getting the award and a USF person responded with "don't you f**king dare!" :lol: :lol:
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

S. Fla.'s offensive coordinator is being hired as head coach at McNeese.
will Shaun King become OC at S. Fla. under Charlie "not as smart as I Look" Strong?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

randymc wrote:S. Fla.'s offensive coordinator is being hired as head coach at McNeese.
will Shaun King become OC at S. Fla. under Charlie "not as smart as I Look" Strong?
I'd say they better.
USF fans are rejoicing!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Conspiracy theory me also wonders how long this has been in the works and if Shaun already has a deal to move up to OC and if he even bothered with our job. And if Gilbert was given the "you know, it might not be the worst thing for you to start looking at other jobs"