NCAA Football 2016 discussion thread

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Re: NCAA Football 2016 discussion thread

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Okay, I admit it. I watched the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl. I was channel surfing and came across the Rose Bowl near the end of the 3rd and the SC Band was playing "Fight On". Love that fight song and (of course) the Song Girls. So I continued to watch. SC came back and scored 17 unanswered points in the 4th with the winning FG as time expired. SC QB is fantastic, and a true freshmen. :-D That's it. I'm done until late August/early September.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Moving over to the Sugar Bowl, why is Brent Musburger still calling games ??
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The USC QB is a redshirt freshman.

Why did they put Keith Jackson on the air? That was awful & way beyond his capacities.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Tough bowl season for the Big Ten. Only Northwestern and Wisconsin managed to win their bowls.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

FW wrote:I was in bed by 1030 (and then out of it by 1130 when my older son woke up screaming that his stuffed stingray (we went on a cruise) was trying to climb out the window). So, for that reason, and that reason only, I made it to midnight.
Glad I'm not the only one; my son's most prized possession has been a stuffed stingray since he was very small....
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

sr wrote:Moving over to the Sugar Bowl, why is Brent Musburger still calling games ??
Someone else is thinking the same way ---
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sp ... spartanntp
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Tough bowl season for the Big Ten. Only Northwestern and Wisconsin managed to win their bowls.
Minnesota beat Wash State, Still, a tough post-season for them.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Ray wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Tough bowl season for the Big Ten. Only Northwestern and Wisconsin managed to win their bowls.
Minnesota beat Wash State, Still, a tough post-season for them.
Knew I missed one somewhere. The worst bowl season goes to the MAC. 0-6
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Yep.

so anyway on to Grambling.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

1309th WAVE wrote:Yep.

so anyway on to Grambling.
Well, Grambling's gonna be tough.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

For the last game of the season - could use some more O, some more anything. Maybe the bands will show something ... Kiffin's probably calling the O from South Beach.

The Bama punter maybe great, but I've able to get a beer from the fridge between the time he catches the snap and punts it.

Bama's in trouble with no offense .

Well they found some, Game finally interesting -- 2:07 left.

Clemson ran that pick play all night - and it wins them a NC.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

nevermind

MAY THE ESTABLISHMENT TOPPLE AND MAY DESHAUN NOT GET BROWNS'D
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

From Sports Illustrated this morning:
How you view the final play depends on what color you wore Monday night. If it’s orange, it’s a touchdown pass for the ages. If it’s crimson, it’s an illegal pick play that should have been flagged and pushed Clemson back away from the goal line. The truth is such plays happen all the time and don’t get flagged. An official actually calling the pick is so rare that when it is called—as it was against Notre Dame in its loss at Florida State in 2014—it’s a huge deal. But like the holding that gets missed on nearly every play, this one didn’t draw a flag. History will remember it as a touchdown that lifted Clemson to a 35–31 win—even though Alabama’s fanbase probably will consider it the play that cheated the Tide out of their fifth national title in eight seasons.
I don't care about who won, and I'm no football rules nut, but I watched that final play a couple of times and I don't know how it's NOT called. If they let that play go, any team can gain 3-5 yards from it and there's nothing a defense can do about it once you are lined up in man-to-man. Clemson defending the play design is like saying "drunk driving happens every day, so therefore it's not a violation of the law".
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Notre Dame lost to FSU a couple years back after they scored but were flagged for basically the same play. Edit - obviously, i didn't read all of the posts as the ND game was already mentioned :king:

it was a pick, but I am wondering if earlier picks in the game had gone without penalty. i was sort of shocked it was not called...happy but shocked. then watson called it a "good pick" in a post-game interview. :mrgreen:
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Yankeewave wrote:Notre Dame lost to FSU a couple years back after they scored but were flagged for basically the same play. Edit - obviously, i didn't read all of the posts as the ND game was already mentioned :king:

it was a pick, but I am wondering if earlier picks in the game had gone without penalty. i was sort of shocked it was not called...happy but shocked. then watson called it a "good pick" in a post-game interview. :mrgreen:
one of Clemson's earlier TDs was on the same play call.

Aside from that, the recievers were allowed to push off a lot.

I wanted to see the game, but fell asleep in the 4th quarter because it was to late.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:From Sports Illustrated this morning:
How you view the final play depends on what color you wore Monday night. If it’s orange, it’s a touchdown pass for the ages. If it’s crimson, it’s an illegal pick play that should have been flagged and pushed Clemson back away from the goal line. The truth is such plays happen all the time and don’t get flagged. An official actually calling the pick is so rare that when it is called—as it was against Notre Dame in its loss at Florida State in 2014—it’s a huge deal. But like the holding that gets missed on nearly every play, this one didn’t draw a flag. History will remember it as a touchdown that lifted Clemson to a 35–31 win—even though Alabama’s fanbase probably will consider it the play that cheated the Tide out of their fifth national title in eight seasons.
I don't care about who won, and I'm no football rules nut, but I watched that final play a couple of times and I don't know how it's NOT called. If they let that play go, any team can gain 3-5 yards from it and there's nothing a defense can do about it once you are lined up in man-to-man. Clemson defending the play design is like saying "drunk driving happens every day, so therefore it's not a violation of the law".
+1; this is why it's BS for refs in any sport to swallow their whistles in the last minute of a close game. The coaches/players know it and in effect ratchet up doing anything because they know it won't be called.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Also in college you can block up to three yards downfield on a pass while in NFL, it's only one yard. If college adopted the NFL rule, it would eliminate at least some of this stuff (again assuming refs don't swallow their whistle "while letting the players decide the result....")
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

The WR gets jammed and the two DBs bump into each other. Not sure how you could call that an illegal pick...he didn't make much (any) effort to beat the jam, and you could argue he was blocking his man which may or may not have been legal depending on the depth of the block.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I think the key is he got the guy who was guarding him. If he had hit the other receiver's defender, that would be a pick
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wave-em in
President's Circle

Post by wave-em in »

Poseidon wrote:Image
Enjoyed himself some Flora-Bama back in the day. GreenAub should enjoy this story.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017 ... ssing.html

Leach name-dropped former Alabama and NFL quarterback (and longtime Coastal Alabama resident) Ken Stabler before emparting a long anecdote about hanging out at the Flora-Bama, the famed bar and grill located on the Florida-Alabama line in Perdido Key. He talked of eating a mound of crawfish while listening to three bands playing at the same time and looking out over the "sugar-white" beaches of nearby Gulf Shores.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

wave-em in wrote:
Poseidon wrote:Image
Enjoyed himself some Flora-Bama back in the day. GreenAub should enjoy this story.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017 ... ssing.html

Leach name-dropped former Alabama and NFL quarterback (and longtime Coastal Alabama resident) Ken Stabler before emparting a long anecdote about hanging out at the Flora-Bama, the famed bar and grill located on the Florida-Alabama line in Perdido Key. He talked of eating a mound of crawfish while listening to three bands playing at the same time and looking out over the "sugar-white" beaches of nearby Gulf Shores.
Da man. Been there a few times myself. Not in the 80's though.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy