Tulane mistakenly sends acceptance emails...

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
waverider
Cornerstone

Tulane mistakenly sends acceptance emails...

Post by waverider »

Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane mistakenly sends acceptance emails...

Post by TUPF »

Ouch.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

How difficult would it be to honor those letters? I can't imagine that enrollment figures are so critical that an exception couldn't be made.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:How difficult would it be to honor those letters? I can't imagine that enrollment figures are so critical that an exception couldn't be made.
That would be my first impulse but then I could see repercussions from that in a myriad of ways also.

Ws we used to say in the ol'Navy....it's a kah-kah sandwich so step up and take a bite.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Roller, my understanding from what im hearing is that no way they let them in. My guess is the liability worries of everyone with better credentials who doesnt get in is >>>>> than the liability worries limited to these 130 (minus however many of them get in anyway)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Well, it becomes a problem once they blab about it. They could have just quietly admitted the students, and no one would be the wiser. I mean, they haven't started telling applicants that they were or were not accepted because they had a "composite score of x" on some rating criteria, have they?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I don't think College acceptance letters itemize the reason you got in. It's "Congratulations we're pleased to notify you........", or its "Thanks but no thanks". It seems like an easy matter to accept these students, simply do as Roller noted and just add 130 very happy kids to your new freshman class.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:Roller, my understanding from what im hearing is that no way they let them in. My guess is the liability worries of everyone with better credentials who doesnt get in is >>>>> than the liability worries limited to these 130 (minus however many of them get in anyway)
What frick liability? This is statement unfounded in fact or reason.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

A lot of schools have done this, and not let them in.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:A lot of schools have done this, and not let them in.
No kidding, but more importantly no matter what a certain person asserts, no one passed over could sue.
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Actually they could sue, they just couldn't likely win. Although if they had already turned down another institution because of the incorrect knowledge, many people think they would have a good shot. Which is why schools react as quickly as they do when this happens.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:Actually they could sue, they just couldn't likely win. Although if they had already turned down another institution because of the incorrect knowledge, many people think they would have a good shot. Which is why schools react as quickly as they do when this happens.
You're truly a moron of epic proportion.
WaveProf wrote:Roller, my understanding from what im hearing is that no way they let them in. My guess is the liability worries of everyone with better credentials who doesnt get in is >>>>> than the liability worries limited to these 130 (minus however many of them get in anyway)
That is the statement I have an issue wish. Just admit you're wrong and move on.

As to the post first post above: As I have repeatedly stated the kids admitted and rescinded have a much better cause of action than "everyone with better credentials who doesn't get in" you twat. (And they'd probably lose, but have a much better case)

Pro-tip: It's never detrimental reliance.
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

With all the intangibles that go into the selections, I don't see how anyone could be considered to have "better credentials" than anybody else, especially where small discriminators are involved in choosing candidate A over candidate B. One would think that anybody who claims that they should have been selected over the person who was "mistakenly" given their slot would find it impossible to prove, and look like a fool for trying (which in itself should be a non-selection discriminator).

And I still maintain that adding more students to the class because they were inadvertently "accepted" should not be a major problem. The student body is certainly large enough that a couple hundred additional people would not be an insurmountable burden.

And how about we dispense with the name-calling? It is, after all, against the rules of the Board, and is completely unsavory.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:With all the intangibles that go into the selections, I don't see how anyone could be considered to have "better credentials" than anybody else, especially where small discriminators are involved in choosing candidate A over candidate B. One would think that anybody who claims that they should have been selected over the person who was "mistakenly" given their slot would find it impossible to prove, and look like a fool for trying (which in itself should be a non-selection discriminator).

And I still maintain that adding more students to the class because they were inadvertently "accepted" should not be a major problem. The student body is certainly large enough that a couple hundred additional people would not be an insurmountable burden.

And how about we dispense with the name-calling? It is, after all, against the rules of the Board, and is completely unsavory.
Agree, Roller, on your main musing and also the second point.

Up until a few years ago my wife was an admissions officer at Bryn Mawr College, her alma mater. It too has a fairly small admitted class and being one of the few undergraduate all women's colleges, had its own special challenges. She said they would get 10-20 applicants for any given slot. Eliminating the first 5,000 or so applicants was easy she said--winnowing the last 5,000 down to 1,500 or so was the hard part. Everyone has excellent grades and board scores. Everyone has glowing recommendations. Some have patents, have established non-profits, etc. Sometimes it comes down to: how have previous students from such and such high school fared previously; is she a legacy--both good and bad; are there too many or two few admitted from that state; had the applicant scattershot applications and should the school waste an admittance. BMC benefits also from on campus personal interviews, which are not the norm elsewhere. Applicants have gotten in or eliminated based on that interview. But honestly, she said that the final cut is so close that sometimes it's a toss up.

If those 130 students were in that final cut category I don't see a reason to then rescind admittance.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

without knowing the composition of the students who mistakenly received the emails, it is hard to say. 130, is probably around 10% of the incoming class, (admittedly a guess) what if those students were the first cuts and they somehow ended up getting admitted? you could literally kill the USNWR metrics and undo all of the positive moves we have made.

sorry, you can't do that
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

So I got an email from UNO this afternoon congratulating me on receiving a full scholarship (I haven't applied...)
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

gerryb323 wrote:So I got an email from UNO this afternoon congratulating me on receiving a full scholarship (I haven't applied...)
Gratz! That's a really hard seat to get.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:So I got an email from UNO this afternoon congratulating me on receiving a full scholarship (I haven't applied...)
How do they have your email?
#cousins don't count