Dat Dog to open 25 franchise locations in H-Town

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Dat Dog to open 25 franchise locations in H-Town

Unread post by WaveProf »

Too much too quick

Reginelli's tried the same thing and it backfired

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/ ... short_home
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Dat Dog to open 25 franchise locations in H-Town

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Plus another four in Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Definitely too much too fast, especially for somewhere that prides itself on having an unusual take on a common product and quirkiness.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Interesting. No mention made of alcohol sales. At least the original Freret location, I've always viewed as a glorified Fat Harry's with quirkier and better food.

Who ever thought drive-through Daiquiri chains could be franchised successfully too?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

When did "H-town" become a thing?
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

TUPF wrote:When did "H-town" become a thing?
Always thought H-town was Hiroshima ...
WaveProf
Cornerstone

At least since the 90s. Everyone I've known from Houston has called it H-Town almost exclusively. I only do it when typing because I'm lazy Speaking I say Houston.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

sr wrote:
Always thought H-town was Hiroshima ...
I thought it should be Houma. :razz:

Actually, though, it makes little sense,since Houston is only two syllables, and there's no advantage to the obfuscation. Compare to Chi-town and Shaky town, which are, at least, more efficient.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

WaveProf wrote:At least since the 90s. Everyone I've known from Houston has called it H-Town almost exclusively. I only do it when typing because I'm lazy Speaking I say Houston.
I've never known anyone FROM Houston, only folks TO Houston. It's the most singularly unimpressive major city I've ever been to. Makes Los Angeles look cultured by comparison. Sidewalks roll up at 6, no there there, ebbs and flows with the price of a barrel of oil. No heart, no soul. Pickup trucks with chrome hubcaps. Reserve trendy names for a place that deserves it.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

TUPF wrote:
WaveProf wrote:At least since the 90s. Everyone I've known from Houston has called it H-Town almost exclusively. I only do it when typing because I'm lazy Speaking I say Houston.
I've never known anyone FROM Houston, only folks TO Houston. It's the most singularly unimpressive major city I've ever been to. Makes Los Angeles look cultured by comparison. Sidewalks roll up at 6, no there there, ebbs and flows with the price of a barrel of oil. No heart, no soul. Pickup trucks with chrome hubcaps. Reserve trendy names for a place that deserves it.
Well said. Speaking as someone who lived in Houston from '77 (excluding 86-91) to '06 - ain't but a handful of folks indigenous. My blood runs with the Mississippi River. Of all of my neighbors over the years - none were Houston natives. Now our kids are natives (well some of them. I lived overseas for a while), but most of them have moved away. As someone once said - 'if you take all the Louisiana/Oklahoma blood folks out of Texas - ain't but a handful of folks left.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote:I've never known anyone FROM Houston, only folks TO Houston. It's the most singularly unimpressive major city I've ever been to. Makes Los Angeles look cultured by comparison. Sidewalks roll up at 6, no there there, ebbs and flows with the price of a barrel of oil. No heart, no soul. Pickup trucks with chrome hubcaps. Reserve trendy names for a place that deserves it.
This was how I first felt about Houston. I thought it rounded out my personal four corners of hell (along with LA, Baton Rouge, and Atlanta). But we've had to go a lot over the past 6 years between 2 Rice football games, IKEA runs, and ongoing projects at both the French and Spanish consulates. And I've come to actually like Houston. Not love it. Not want to live there. But compared to most places in Texas..... And DEFINATELY compared to LA/Baton Rouge/Atlanta. I'll take it in a heartbeat.

Great public infrastructure and family things to do (more so than most any big city I've been around). One of the best greek restaurants I've found in america (esp for the price) and one of the few places in Texas you can find some examples of actual Mexican food (not just Tex Mex).

I wouldn't look to live there and I wouldn't seek it out for a vacation, but I've slowly come to like it a lot, lot better than my first impression of it.

As for knowing people "from" there, we have two couple friends in NOLA in which the woman in both cases is from Houston (and the man from NOLA). My NYU roommate was from NY, but had just gotten his BA at Rice, and was Houston obsessed. He was the first person I heard consistently call it H-town (which I then heard again from my friends in NOLA and Anthony Bourdain's phenomonal episode on Houston last Fall---one of his best). I think its a silly term, but it is a common one, and as I admitted, I'm a lazy typer :mrgreen:

Come to think of it, the NYU roommate had some fairly bro-ish tendencies at the time I knew him (so we can link this with that thread!), so I'll choose to attribute some of the H-Town stuff to that. Although he went on to be one of the top national security advisors and meanwhile the women I know in NOLA from Houston are anything but bro-ish, so I don't think it's "just" that
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:DEFINATELY compared to LA/Baton Rouge/Atlanta. I'll take it in a heartbeat.

I'm a lazy typer :mrgreen:
And poor speller
Great public infrastructure and family things to do (more so than most any big city I've been around). One of the best greek restaurants I've found in america (esp for the price) and one of the few places in Texas you can find some examples of actual Mexican food (not just Tex Mex).
Go to Chicago.

Family things check. A downtown you can walk around to get to said family things double check.

Greek Town will impress you and if you want to go cheaper I have another place in Lincoln Park for Greek food.

Mexican Food go to Pilsen.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

I'm not going to Chicago for mexican food (which is not to say there isn't any good mexican food there).

Otherwise, I'd already assume that Chicago is better than Houston. I wasn't playing the Houston vs Chicago game. I was playing the Houston vs my original impression of Houston game and/or the Houston vs other cities that seem soulless when you first visit them.

And if I'm going to go as far as Chicago (and spend as much as it takes to get there), I'd just as soon go to Charleston or Europe. Houston is a 5 hour drive in a car that gets 40 mpg and a city where you can priceline nice hotels on weekends for next to no money. That sets the bar a lot lower for "worth it"
windywave
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:I'm not going to Chicago for mexican food (which is not to say there isn't any good mexican food there).

Otherwise, I'd already assume that Chicago is better than Houston. I wasn't playing the Houston vs Chicago game. I was playing the Houston vs my original impression of Houston game and/or the Houston vs other cities that seem soulless when you first visit them.

And if I'm going to go as far as Chicago (and spend as much as it takes to get there), I'd just as soon go to Charleston or Europe. Houston is a 5 hour drive in a car that gets 40 mpg and a city where you can priceline nice hotels on weekends for next to no money. That sets the bar a lot lower for "worth it"
Why not? You don't like authentic Mexican food?

Um Chicago is a 90 minute flight and has significantly more and diverse food offerings than Charleston.
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:I'm not going to Chicago for mexican food (which is not to say there isn't any good mexican food there).

Um Chicago is a 90 minute flight and has significantly more and diverse food offerings than Charleston.
If he wanted Mexican food and was going to travel as far as Chicago, wouldn't he be better off just going to Mexico?

I dislike the urban sprawl and crazy road systems, but Houston does have the closest Ikea, which warranted a pilgrimage for our kitchen cabinets. While there, I was pleasantly surprised by the food. We had Mexican from a "permanent" taco truck, Greek and German food. All excellent.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

About the same time "H-Wood" brought us Big Easy and perhaps NOLA.
windywave
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:

If he wanted Mexican food and was going to travel as far as Chicago, wouldn't he be better off just going to Mexico?
Pink?
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:

Stop it. Now you're talking good common sense. Not allowed.
windywave
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

Stop it. Now you're talking good common sense. Not allowed.
Yes because an international flight is the same as hopping a 90 minute flight to Chicago.
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

windywave wrote:a 90 minute flight to Chicago. [/color]
Spoken like a man who

1) has never traveled with a kid
And if I didn't know better:
2) considered the cost and time getting to and from airports in both cities
3) dealt with post 9-11 security and tiny seat spacing on airplanes

I don't fly anywhere I can drive in a day. That includes Charleston.

90 minutes isn't "radically" better for me than 7 hours to Europe. Most of the things I loath about airline travel are before and after I step on the airplane.
breezywave
Senior

Unread post by breezywave »

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:a 90 minute flight to Chicago. [/color]
Spoken like a man who

1) has never traveled with a kid
And if I didn't know better:
2) considered the cost and time getting to and from airports in both cities
3) dealt with post 9-11 security and tiny seat spacing on airplanes

I don't fly anywhere I can drive in a day. That includes Charleston.

90 minutes isn't "radically" better for me than 7 hours to Europe. Most of the things I loath about airline travel are before and after I step on the airplane.
It must be hard going through life as a moron because your response is moronic due to the fact windy was saying Chicago is closer and easier to get to than Mexico.

1) I have traveled with infants and toddlers and 90 minutes on a flight is better 5 hours in a car
2) Since Windy was discussing flying to Chicago versus going to Mexico this point is beyond stupid
3) TSA Pre-Check you peasant.

Here's a suggestion if you don't want to be schooled and embarrassed by Windy and every turn: Since you don't want to agree with him, just agree with whatever Pete, TUPF or Roller says.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Windy has a second ID!!!!! :jerry:

And fwiw I didn't quote anything about Chicago vs Mexico, simply the idea it's "just a 90 minute flight"
windywave
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:Windy has a second ID!!!!! :jerry:

And fwiw I didn't quote anything about Chicago vs Mexico, simply the idea it's "just a 90 minute flight"
Bitch please ... a 90 minute flight ain't nothing
#cousins don't count
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Ironically, my last meal in Kiev as Mexican food....

Very strange Mexican food. The best I could describe it is that it was as though a very talented chef was making it based off of what she had read, without ever actually having tasted any of it. It was extremely good, but extremely strange. I've had Mexican food in Mexico (and not just around the border) and plenty of Tex-Mex and this was neither.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

90 minutes is like waiting in line at Dubai to take off and then it's only 14 hours back to IAH with a fair head wind.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

sr wrote:90 minutes is like waiting in line at Dubai to take off and then it's only 14 hours back to IAH with a fair head wind.
My longest flights have been nonstop from Sydney to Los Angeles and JFK to Johannesburg. That South African flight really made me treat all other trips I make as mere nuisances. Three meals, three movies, and still ten hours to go.