AAC votes unanimously to add Wichita State for 2017-18

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: AAC votes unanimously to add Wichita State for 2017-18

Unread post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Gerry, I'll tell you my experience with Temple in Philadelphia: it's great being able to catch home games but you'll probably be one of a handful of Tulanians in the stands. The alumni chapter in Philly is small and is there even one in Wichita? As the years go by, the locals start knowing about Tulane, especially if we start beating them but at first you'll get a lot of "where's Tulane?" Still, it's fun to wear your colors around town and start getting hints of recognition. Soon you'll go from "Green what?" to "man, I can't wait to go to an away game in New Orleans!"
The Loyola game I broke arms so that people who had no affiliation with Tulane went to the game with me so that we'd represent.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:As long as they don't get any funny ideas and decide they want to add football,
They already have that idea and its above 50% that they'll add it in the next 3-7 years according to Wichita news. Doesn't mean they'll play in our conference, but it is certainly far beyond the "funny idea" stage for them to bring back football.

Trivia Note" Wichita State's last d1A victory in football (second to last victory overall) was Tulane sometime in the 70s. Heard that on the radio the other day.
Your trivia is at least a week old
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:Gerry, I'll tell you my experience with Temple in Philadelphia: it's great being able to catch home games but you'll probably be one of a handful of Tulanians in the stands. The alumni chapter in Philly is small and is there even one in Wichita? As the years go by, the locals start knowing about Tulane, especially if we start beating them but at first you'll get a lot of "where's Tulane?" Still, it's fun to wear your colors around town and start getting hints of recognition. Soon you'll go from "Green what?" to "man, I can't wait to go to an away game in New Orleans!"
The Loyola game I broke arms so that people who had no affiliation with Tulane went to the game with me so that we'd represent.
I will try, although the shockers tend to sell out since they're good. I've got some connections with season tickets though
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GretnaGreen
Crest Level

Unread post by GretnaGreen »

It's done. If I had to guess I'd say the AAC will keep doubling up one baseball series a year, giving the AAC 27 league games in that sport.

That would be difficult with an odd number of teams. The current 8 teams are paired, who would pair with Wichita State?
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote:As long as they don't get any funny ideas and decide they want to add football, this is a good move. Gives us 12 in basketball just like in football, and they are a strong hoops addition.
Wichita State president John Bardo said the decision also puts any thoughts of the school returning to football, which it stopped playing in 1986, on the backburner.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... b22c6.html
Victory is never permanent
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

WSU sends thank you note to Big 12 while Sun reporter/analyst roots for two games against Tulane.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 50084.html

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 50254.html
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by BC Wave »

They could double up with two teams playing the one to their left and the one to their right for 30 games

Tulane -- USF and UH
Houston - TU and WSU
Wich St - UH and UM
Memphis - WSU and UC
Cincinnati - UM and UCONN
Connecticut - UC and ECU
E Carolina --- UCONN and UCF
C Florida --- ECU and USF
USF -- UCF and TU
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

windywave wrote:
Yeah, but you're in Chicago, where breaking arms is fairly common.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:As long as they don't get any funny ideas and decide they want to add football,
They already have that idea and its above 50% that they'll add it in the next 3-7 years according to Wichita news. Doesn't mean they'll play in our conference, but it is certainly far beyond the "funny idea" stage for them to bring back football.

Trivia Note" Wichita State's last d1A victory in football (second to last victory overall) was Tulane sometime in the 70s. Heard that on the radio the other day.
Your trivia is at least a week old
Heck, it's about 40 years old!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:WSU sends thank you note to Big 12 while Sun reporter/analyst roots for two games against Tulane.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 50084.html

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 50254.html
The author is a useless POS. Weakness he says? My goal is now for Marshall to get fired
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Interesting interview with Aresco in SI that I've not seen posted here yet. (If so, forgive the duplicate.)

Not much news but interesting comments about process and lots of from-the-horse's-mouth disclosures about AAC strategy.

Most importantly it's a reminder that despite the uncontrollable happy gut reaction today to the news from Memphis today we should not have schadenfreude about Tubby and UM's predicament. We need UM to fix it now.

Tulane needs every team in AAC to be as strong as possible. Goal of Aresco and all conference members (a longshot but achievable) is to make AAC a P-6.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... acebook_si
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Radio discussion here (Wichita) today about WSU baseball and how it fits in the American. They are usually competitive in the Missouri Valley Conference, although this year has been approximately comparable to our year. There is quite a bit of discontent with their head coach after this mediocre year (his fourth). Allegedly he has a tough contract for them to eat (3 years left at about $1 mill. total).

Hosts talking about how WSU must have the top facility for baseball in the AAC (after admitting he knows nothing about any of the other baseball facilities in the conference). I almost laughed out loud, but then I haven't been to any other facilities than ours and theirs. I think ours is better, so they're at best second, but I would imagine there are multiple other schools (Houston, UCF?) that have quality facilities in the AAC.

They also think the new conference will get them much better recruits based on their new ability to go to Florida and Texas to recruit (apparently they weren't allowed as part of the MVC?). The idea being they can get in front of these recruits (they literally said "from Houston and Tampa and New Orleans") who haven't heard of WSU baseball and lure them in (to Wichita) with their superior facilities was fun to listen to.

Anyway, just some fun thoughts from up here for fodder.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

I know ECU has a nice facility. I don't know about the other schools in the American, although the only one I've heard anything negative about it UConn.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Wichita State added to AAC (next academic year)

Unread post by IM42lane »

With Wichita State being added into the American in every sport (except football), I ask these BASEBALL questions:

1. Will the regular season conference schedule still be 24 games? if so, then Tulane & Houston should only play one 3-game series next season, correct?

2. Will the league invite all 9 members to the conference tournament? If they do, then will they match up the #8 & #9 seeds in a 'play-in' game, with the play-in winner facing the #1 seed in the double elimination phase of the tournament?

If you know the answers, then thanks in advance.
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

I'm pretty sure the correct answers to your questions are

1. Yes, still 24 games. Play everyone once.

2. No, only the top 8 will be invited to the tournament.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

gerryb323 wrote:Radio discussion here (Wichita) today about WSU baseball and how it fits in the American. They are usually competitive in the Missouri Valley Conference, although this year has been approximately comparable to our year. There is quite a bit of discontent with their head coach after this mediocre year (his fourth). Allegedly he has a tough contract for them to eat (3 years left at about $1 mill. total).

Hosts talking about how WSU must have the top facility for baseball in the AAC (after admitting he knows nothing about any of the other baseball facilities in the conference). I almost laughed out loud, but then I haven't been to any other facilities than ours and theirs. I think ours is better, so they're at best second, but I would imagine there are multiple other schools (Houston, UCF?) that have quality facilities in the AAC.

They also think the new conference will get them much better recruits based on their new ability to go to Florida and Texas to recruit (apparently they weren't allowed as part of the MVC?). The idea being they can get in front of these recruits (they literally said "from Houston and Tampa and New Orleans") who haven't heard of WSU baseball and lure them in (to Wichita) with their superior facilities was fun to listen to.

Houston tries to have an impressive stadium but it's like USMs.

I think ours is laid out better.

The most impressive imo is University of Texas.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

DrHullabaloo wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Radio discussion here (Wichita) today about WSU baseball and how it fits in the American. They are usually competitive in the Missouri Valley Conference, although this year has been approximately comparable to our year. There is quite a bit of discontent with their head coach after this mediocre year (his fourth). Allegedly he has a tough contract for them to eat (3 years left at about $1 mill. total).

Houston tries to have an impressive stadium but it's like USMs.

I think ours is laid out better.

The most impressive imo is University of Texas.
One more plus concerning the UT's baseball facilities is they are building two parking garages just outside the left field gate. Parking used to be an issue. Issue solved.