#6 RB/Dual-threat QB Amare Jones

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

#6 RB/Dual-threat QB Amare Jones

Post by SomeBiz »

3-star prospect Amare Jones, a dual-threat QB from Frisco, TX, has committed to the Green Wave. He also holds offers from Tulsa and North Texas.

Last season, he was the 1st Team All District QB, District 13-5A, and the Regular Season Leading Rusher for District 5A.

2016 Stats: 1,984 yards rushing/27 TDs; 1,552 yards passing/18 TDs.

There's a lot to like here. Great first step, acceleration, north-south running, vision and a solid bomb. Really, only 3-stars?

Some highlights from Hudl:
http://www.hudl.com/v/1ySwWc
Last edited by SomeBiz on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane class of '79
Ray
Regent's Circle

Re: #6 Dual-threat QB Amare Jones

Post by Ray »

SomeBiz wrote:3-star prospect Amare Jones, a dual-threat QB from Frisco, TX, has committed to the Green Wave. He also holds offers from Tulsa and North Texas.

Last season, he was the 1st Team All District QB, District 13-5A, and the Regular Season Leading Rusher for District 5A.

2016 Stats: 1,984 yards rushing/27 TDs; 1,552 yards passing/18 TDs.

There's a lot to like here. Great first step, north-south running, vision and a solid bomb. Some highlights from Hudl:
http://www.hudl.com/v/1ySwWc
WOW ...... GREAT NEWS !!!
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Post by SomeBiz »

William Guillory and Guerry Smith report Jones will be an RB at Tulane.
Last edited by SomeBiz on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane class of '79
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

SomeBiz wrote:William Guillory and Guerry Smith reports Jones will be an RB at Tulane.
Interesting. Makes sense after seeing how he runs.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
beantownwave
Navigator Level

Post by beantownwave »

waverider wrote:
SomeBiz wrote:William Guillory and Guerry Smith reports Jones will be an RB at Tulane.
Interesting. Makes sense after seeing how he runs.
And the fact that he's 5'9"
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: #6 RB/Dual-threat QB Amare Jones

Post by PeteRasche »

5'9" or not, the threat of a guy like that (to turn a toss sweep into a TD pass after the DBs bite) is something I like A LOT. And in the next few years we could have a split backfield where the QB and two backs are all former QBs who can throw it well. I wouldn't want to be a defensive coordinator having to deal with that.

Perhaps that's the new wrinkle that WF will throw into the offense to make it something new and different than anyone's seen. Two, three, even four guys on the field handling the ball who can ALL throw at any time. That's a threat I've always thought was underexploited in football offenses (mostly because when you see passes thrown by RBs and WRs they are pathetic wounded ducks). Pitch to a halfback, he can throw. Jet sweep to a WR, he can throw too. Option or triple option, any one of the potential ball carriers can all throw. Yikes.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

PeteRasche wrote:5'9" or not, the threat of a guy like that (to turn a toss sweep into a TD pass after the DBs bite) is something I like A LOT. And in the next few years we could have a split backfield where the QB and two backs are all former QBs who can throw it well. I wouldn't want to be a defensive coordinator having to deal with that.

Perhaps that's the new wrinkle that WF will throw into the offense to make it something new and different than anyone's seen. Two, three, even four guys on the field handling the ball who can ALL throw at any time. That's a threat I've always thought was underexploited in football offenses (mostly because when you see passes thrown by RBs and WRs they are pathetic wounded ducks). Pitch to a halfback, he can throw. Jet sweep to a WR, he can throw too. Option or triple option, any one of the potential ball carriers can all throw. Yikes.
I LIKE IT :!: :!: :!:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

It's not exactly new to have HS QBs as RBs and WRs in college. There's usually a reason the QB is the one throwing the passes in college/pros.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote: Two, three, even four guys on the field handling the ball who can ALL throw at any time. That's a threat I've always thought was underexploited in football offenses
I've thought about this too (more than a person should have probably). It's basically a triple option out of the single wing. The drawbacks are your linemen won't know whether to go to the second level or not which inhibits some of the run yardage potential. This is mitigated obviously by calling the play as run or run/pass in the huddle but that provides a key for the DBs, in that, if the dbs see a lineman reaching for a LB they know they can come up and if they don't see the reach they stay back, but the linebackers will be running free at our guys. Also it's hard to find just one much less three or four guys with the proper combination of skills to run, pass, throw on the run, and make the right decision.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

3 Stars per Rivals who usually grades our recruits pretty hard. I can see why the Coaches liked him as a RB he has some pretty nice moves.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
SomeBiz
Riptide Level

Post by SomeBiz »

A worthy note spotted by "Fear the Wave" on Twitter:

http://starlocalmedia.com/friscoenterpr ... behavioral
Tulane class of '79
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

If you want to see some good RB passes and other trick plays, watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8G9dGuNkU
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Amare Jones is probably done for the rest of his senior year after breaking his ankle. He is scheduled to have surgery this week. That's unfortunate because he was tearing it up on the field but at least it's not knee ligaments. I know we all wish him the best of luck and a swift recovery.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:Amare Jones is probably done for the rest of his senior year after breaking his ankle. He is scheduled to have surgery this week. That's unfortunate because he was tearing it up on the field but at least it's not knee ligaments. I know we all wish him the best of luck and a swift recovery.
Hopefully he has a full recovery...selfishly, this should keep "bigger" programs away.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

ml wave wrote:
long green wrote:Amare Jones is probably done for the rest of his senior year after breaking his ankle. He is scheduled to have surgery this week. That's unfortunate because he was tearing it up on the field but at least it's not knee ligaments. I know we all wish him the best of luck and a swift recovery.
Hopefully he has a full recovery...selfishly, this should keep "bigger" programs away.
If a program is smart they won't let that affect their thinking but out of sight often means out of mind.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Just pray there is no ligament damage in the ankle. It has taken a long time with my son, but he is diabetic also which doesn't help.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

http://starlocalmedia.com/friscoenterpr ... 11e7-ba42-

story about Jones after surgery...he'll be in a boot in a couple of weeks (but for longer than that) and he hopes to play baseball for his HS this spring.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Believe we are forgetting about Mr. Jones. Although recruited as a RB, Amare is well suited to stay at QB if the need so requires. He is a great athletic and will excel wherever he is positioned.

https://twitter.com/CoachMutz/status/952716354641068032
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He could be used to stretch our depth chart there for a year, doing a lot of wildcat stuff from the gun.