Fall Baseball Recruiting Signees

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
randymc
President's Circle

Re: Fall Baseball Recruiting Signees

Unread post by randymc »

Northwestern in Natchitoches?
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

Fyi - that's northwestern state in Louisiana. Not northwestern out of Chicago. My jaw dropped a bit when I saw the northwestern reference. It reminded me of the story going around 15-20 or so years ago we couldn't get a baseball transfer from Harvard in. Math department is the usual suspect in these situations.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Unread post by Tulane49 »

visualmagic wrote:Rumor has it that Braedon Barrett won't be coming to Tulane. Tulane didn't accept enough of his transfer credits.
His grandfather played football for Tulane and was an assistant football coach at Tulane
Presently the AD at one of the local Catholic High Schools
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

I'm all for keep our academic integrity, but I hope the credit that didn't transfer was hitting a curveball 101. Otherwise, we couldn't make him take a course in Tulane summer school or at another local school where we would accept the credit?
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I imagine the credit(s) date to his freshman year at Northwestern State. He played on the Demons' 2016 baseball team before moving on to Hinds JC for 2017.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Lost Ryan Calhoun
Denied admission
Was short on credit hours
Jewett told him in March the situation would be handled
Jewett tells him in June nothing he can do sorry
Kid has nowhere to go now
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Tulane49 wrote:Lost Ryan Calhoun
Denied admission
It's not just Coach J, where is the AD in all this??
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

Once again Tulane proves to the fans, news media, recruits, and me, that they don't play to win.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

sr wrote:
Denied admission
This.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Denied admission
For those wondering why we haven't put out a list of the signing class...
Tulane49
Navigator Level

GretnaGrn wrote:
sr wrote:
Denied admission
This.
Where is the President
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

This is the most frustrating problem. In all of my convos with Rick Jones, this is the issue that p!ssed him off the most....why can't we give a kid an admission decision within hours or at worst a couple of days? Dannen has been pressuring Gibson Hall on this, but this is a Cowen problem that has continued under Fitts. As president, you go to admissions and tell them "I don't give AF what you are doing, you get them an admissions decision within 48 hours or we're going to find someone who will."

The admissions department at Tulane has been and continues to be something that holds us back. Even if we can't admit a kid...TELL US so we can move on! Don't beat around the bush for months and then let us know at the 11th hour. The same thing happened to me but we found a way around it because I really wanted to go to Tulane because it was my favorite school. My uncle played at Tulane and I was a 5th generation student. I wasn't a great player or a difference maker, but I was willing to come to Tulane and it wouldn't have cost the team a scholarship and I turned down scholarships from a bunch of other schools (Notre Dame, Northwestern (Ill.), Navy, UNO, Southeastern, ULL) and several preferred walk on offers (LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss). How can I get into Notre Dame and Northwestern and not get into Tulane as a 5th generation legacy who is coming to play baseball for free???? And why couldn't I get in? My class rank wasn't high enough at Jesuit (despite a GPA over 3.2) and they had my sister's ACT score from 7th grade, not my real one. True story.

Schloss could not have been better to me. He and Coach Jones worked with the admissions department along with several other people to rectify the problem. The admissions department still wouldn't admit me after finding my real ACT score. It was late April and all of the scholarships I had turned down were now gone with the exception of Southeastern. After much back and forth, Tulane settled on admitting me to the University College for a semester, and they made me go to Summer School before I could enroll in the Fall. At an alumni barbecue, Cowen sought me out and said "I've heard a lot about you" with a smug grin. I wanted to punch him. It all worked out, but it still ticks me off thinking about it.
This one belongs to the Wave.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

TU23 wrote:This is the most frustrating problem. In all of my convos with Rick Jones, this is the issue that p!ssed him off the most....why can't we give a kid an admission decision within hours or at worst a couple of days? Dannen has been pressuring Gibson Hall on this, but this is a Cowen problem that has continued under Fitts. As president, you go to admissions and tell them "I don't give AF what you are doing, you get them an admissions decision within 48 hours or we're going to find someone who will."

The admissions department at Tulane has been and continues to be something that holds us back. Even if we can't admit a kid...TELL US so we can move on! Don't beat around the bush for months and then let us know at the 11th hour. The same thing happened to me but we found a way around it because I really wanted to go to Tulane because it was my favorite school. My uncle played at Tulane and I was a 5th generation student. I wasn't a great player or a difference maker, but I was willing to come to Tulane and it wouldn't have cost the team a scholarship and I turned down scholarships from a bunch of other schools (Notre Dame, Northwestern (Ill.), Navy, UNO, Southeastern, ULL) and several preferred walk on offers (LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss). How can I get into Notre Dame and Northwestern and not get into Tulane as a 5th generation legacy who is coming to play baseball for free???? And why couldn't I get in? My class rank wasn't high enough at Jesuit (despite a GPA over 3.2) and they had my sister's ACT score from 7th grade, not my real one. True story.

Schloss could not have been better to me. He and Coach Jones worked with the admissions department along with several other people to rectify the problem. The admissions department still wouldn't admit me after finding my real ACT score. It was late April and all of the scholarships I had turned down were now gone with the exception of Southeastern. After much back and forth, Tulane settled on admitting me to the University College for a semester, and they made me go to Summer School before I could enroll in the Fall. At an alumni barbecue, Cowen sought me out and said "I've heard a lot about you" with a smug grin. I wanted to punch him. It all worked out, but it still ticks me off thinking about it.
Surprised all of Jewett's "private school recruiting experience" didn't help him here...
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

ml wave wrote:
TU23 wrote:This is the most frustrating problem. In all of my convos with Rick Jones, this is the issue that p!ssed him off the most....why can't we give a kid an admission decision within hours or at worst a couple of days? Dannen has been pressuring Gibson Hall on this, but this is a Cowen problem that has continued under Fitts. As president, you go to admissions and tell them "I don't give AF what you are doing, you get them an admissions decision within 48 hours or we're going to find someone who will."

Surprised all of Jewett's "private school recruiting experience" didn't help him here...
I don't believe that Vandy baseball recruits many , if any JC players. It doesn't need to. It gets good enough freshman to never need to recruit JC players.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

ThePig wrote:
ml wave wrote:

I don't believe that Vandy baseball recruits many , if any JC players. It doesn't need to. It gets good enough freshman to never need to recruit JC players.
Hmmm, you don't say...
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

ml wave wrote:

Maybe Jewett needs to pick Jones' brain about what strings need pulling...
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Roller wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Maybe Jewett needs to pick Jones' brain about what strings need pulling...
Hmm, so you think direct access to Jones might be something beneficial for our head coach?
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Braedon Barrett gets ULM to accept his credits
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

ml wave wrote:
ThePig wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Hmmm, you don't say...
What does recruiting have to do with Admissions? If you can find great players it isn't a coaches fault if admissions are stupid. I am sure Jewett has guidelines but until you get actual transcripts there ain't much you can do. It does seem he has recruited pretty dang well so far since given a chance.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

Don't tell windy that
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

FW wrote:

Don't tell windy that
Why? They're my team after Tulane but aren't good at baseball
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Tulane49 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:Rumor has it that Braedon Barrett won't be coming to Tulane. Tulane didn't accept enough of his transfer credits.
His grandfather played football for Tulane and was an assistant football coach at Tulane
Presently the AD at one of the local Catholic High Schools
I actually spoke to his grandfather right after his visit to Tulane. I hope it wasn't over something silly.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Great story and very revealing.

Jeremy was denied 9hrs of math from the University of Texas. I ask them if they were teaching some sort of math that was unknown to mankind. Had to take extra hours during his transfer year to be eligible. If Texas credits aren't accepted, imagine these people analyzing JUCO classes. Just a way to make more money.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

tjtlja wrote:

Jeremy was denied 9hrs of math from the University of Texas. I ask them if they were teaching some sort of math that was unknown to mankind. Had to take extra hours during his transfer year to be eligible. If Texas credits aren't accepted, imagine these people analyzing JUCO classes. Just a way to make more money.
I know it goes against the narrative of the thread, but I'd want to se the math course descriptions that were denied before piling on. I say that as a former math major at Tulane, and as a parent whose kid had to take a math course at a local community college to get her high school diploma while she was home schooling. I am no longer shocked at what is offered as a "college" math course.

I went JYA in the U.K. as a math major. All my courses counted and then some. I just had to show the descriptions and grade from the courses I took and how they matched up with Tulane courses. It may have changed since then but differential equations are differential equations.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

I know it goes against the narrative of the thread, but I'd want to se the math course descriptions that were denied before piling on. I say that as a former math major at Tulane, and as a parent whose kid had to take a math course at a local community college to get her high school diploma while she was home schooling. I am no longer shocked at what is offered as a "college" math course.

I went JYA in the U.K. as a math major. All my courses counted and then some. I just had to show the descriptions and grade from the courses I took and how they matched up with Tulane courses. It may have changed since then but differential equations are differential equations.
I'm kinda with you but not completely. I transferred in some credits to get rid of my onerous language requirement no problem but remember math was much harder for other people I took all my maths on campus. For the record if it is a Tulane JYA program by definition all of the credits will transfer in
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count