Paul Gozzo - official

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Paul Gozzo - official

Unread post by noladave »

Paul Gozzo officially tweets that he will be transferring to UCONN.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Paul Gozzo - official

Unread post by TUPF »

He'll be able to commute to school from his folks' house.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

TUPF wrote:He'll be able to commute to school from his folks' house.
From Wallingford? Doubtful - that would be quite a haul each day for a college student playing sports. 45-50 mins at best.

Unless of course, they moved closer.

My son talked about doing that if he would have gone to Storrs, but I strongly advised against it. My 30-35 minute drive (sometimes longer if the Industrial Canal bridges were up) from Chalmette to Uptown everyday seemed unbearable. Wish I had lived on campus.
Bring home da Wave!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I was being facetious. I lived in Connecticut and later in the Berkshires for close to 15 years. Maybe not walk to school close, but nothing is far. Some kids need to be able to have Mom do their laundry. 8)
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

What is interesting is that Jewett gave Gozzo his release to transfer to a conference opponent and a good one at that. Perhaps having his twin still on the Tulane roster made him more sympathetic to the request?

I don't know and I don't care. I think these young athletes should be allowed to go where they wish. I'm glad that at least in this case for once we see a coach allow that transfer to a conference rival and not stand in the way. I'll spare all the 50 links reporting what most coaches have historically done here.
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

TUPF wrote:I was being facetious. I lived in Connecticut and later in the Berkshires for close to 15 years. Maybe not walk to school close, but nothing is far. Some kids need to be able to have Mom do their laundry. 8)
Gotcha, mostly true, although the 91 to get to Storrs would be really treacherous.

My thing was that I missed out on a lot in being a commuter, and when I stuck it out on campus, it usually meant 16-17 hours days with nowhere to dump but a UC table or nasty couch somewhere. If I had to do it over, I would have figured out how to live on/around campus.
Bring home da Wave!
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

doncecco wrote:
TUPF wrote:I was being facetious. I lived in Connecticut and later in the Berkshires for close to 15 years. Maybe not walk to school close, but nothing is far. Some kids need to be able to have Mom do their laundry. 8)
Gotcha, mostly true, although the 91 to get to Storrs would be really treacherous.

My thing was that I missed out on a lot in being a commuter, and when I stuck it out on campus, it usually meant 16-17 hours days with nowhere to dump but a UC table or nasty couch somewhere. If I had to do it over, I would have figured out how to live on/around campus.
I wholeheartedly agree, if one can swing it. Lots of life lessons in hanging around the dorms, ruining your own laundry the first time, feeding yourself when the meal plan is not in force and money is tight, etc. When I was in NROTC there were several local kids who could not wait to leave campus every day. They did not participate in quite a lot.

We had a discussion here a few weeks ago about all the SEC kids going home on non football weekends. Even that I think shortchanges college life lessons.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:
doncecco wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree, if one can swing it. Lots of life lessons in hanging around the dorms, ruining your own laundry the first time, feeding yourself when the meal plan is not in force and money is tight, etc. When I was in NROTC there were several local kids who could not wait to leave campus every day. They did not participate in quite a lot.

We had a discussion here a few weeks ago about all the SEC kids going home on non football weekends. Even that I think shortchanges college life lessons.
My family could not afford for me to live on or near campus (or anyplace other than the house we all shared), so I commuted from the Westbank every day, and like doncecco says, I wasted a lot of time hanging out in the UC or studying in a vacant classroom. When I was in my early 40's, the Army sent me to a 4-month resident school where I got my first taste of dormitory living; that's when I realized how much I had missed and the huge advantage (both social and educational) of living among classmates.
If a family can afford the cost of campus housing, I highly recommend that they go that route--even if they live mere blocks from the school. The advantages are tremendous.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Paul will automatically lose a year because he transferred to another conference member. It is a double whammy.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Baywave1 wrote:What is interesting is that Jewett gave Gozzo his release to transfer to a conference opponent and a good one at that. Perhaps having his twin still on the Tulane roster made him more sympathetic to the request?
Let's hope we got the "good" twin...
Plan your work, work your plan.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

tjtlja wrote:Paul will automatically lose a year because he transferred to another conference member. It is a double whammy.
So, he has to sit out two years and redshirts one so he only loses one year of eligibility? Or one year but can't redshirt?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Paul will automatically lose a year because he transferred to another conference member. It is a double whammy.
So, he has to sit out two years and redshirts one so he only loses one year of eligibility? Or one year but can't redshirt?
Yeah this didn't make sense to me either
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Will sit out one year and lose one year. When he returns in 2019, he will be a junior.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote:Will sit out one year and lose one year. When he returns in 2019, he will be a junior.
So he can't redshirt? That's an interesting rule!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

He will not redshirt and will not play in 2018. Believe it is conference rule, but could be a NCAA rule. Cannot remember.