New Orleans flooding

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

New Orleans flooding

Unread post by TUPF »

Getting quite a bit of airtime, at least on the NPR reports on my classical music station (I try to stay away from any talk radio). They keep featuring a resident who was asking some hard questions at a city council type meeting.

Any of you folks affected?
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: New Orleans flooding

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

It's mostly Orleans Parish excluding the 9th ward and New Orleans East. I live in, well, Gretna, so it hasn't affected me personally but it's been big news here, especially with rain yesterday and more coming this afternoon. The whole thing has been a giant clusterf--k. S&WB is even worse than we thought.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

The weather event on Saturday was extraordinary. There would have been flooding regardless, but taking pumps out of service for maintenance in the middle of summer is beyond ridiculous. The power issue is complicated. The damaged turbine that caused all the ruckus yesterday has been repaired, and is being tested and slowly returned to service today.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

TU77CAL82 wrote:The weather event on Saturday was extraordinary.
May 8,1995 extraordinary? (I admit I haven't read about it, just seen the headlines about the controversy)
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:The weather event on Saturday was extraordinary.
May 8,1995 extraordinary? (I admit I haven't read about it, just seen the headlines about the controversy)
9"-10" of rain in about 3 hours in the worst hit areas. Somewhat less widespread than past floods though. The storm was kind of across the middle of the city and into Jefferson Parish. No problems uptown.
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

My daughter just got two days off of school during the first week of pre-k and it's hardly rained at our house.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

TU77CAL82 wrote:There would have been flooding regardless, but taking pumps out of service for maintenance in the middle of summer is beyond ridiculous. The power issue is complicated. The damaged turbine that caused all the ruckus yesterday has been repaired, and is being tested and slowly returned to service today.
It's probably the nuclear submariner in me but any good program manager can slap up a PERT chart on the wall and do phased maintenance planning, NOT during critical use periods. And things break, so plan for them. Have critical path parts stockpiled and at the ready. And watch the Weather Channel long range forecasts once in awhile.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

I remember watching the rain from the 9th floor of Monroe Hall on May 3, 1978; studying for organic final, the waves produced as the Jet went down Freret was amazing. Thigh high water on Willow street at 1 pm. I recall it was about 9 inches in 5 hours or so.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

AO Sig wrote:I remember watching the rain from the 9th floor of Monroe Hall on May 3, 1978; studying for organic final, the waves produced as the Jet went down Freret was amazing. Thigh high water on Willow street at 1 pm. I recall it was about 9 inches in 5 hours or so.
I remember that rain. I lived in Irby and didn't wear shoes for days. A few days later I graduated, but during that run up we were wading around campus.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:
AO Sig wrote:I remember watching the rain from the 9th floor of Monroe Hall on May 3, 1978; studying for organic final, the waves produced as the Jet went down Freret was amazing. Thigh high water on Willow street at 1 pm. I recall it was about 9 inches in 5 hours or so.
I remember that rain. I lived in Irby and didn't wear shoes for days. A few days later I graduated, but during that run up we were wading around campus.
A similar rain occurred summer of 1991. I rode back to campus from my summer job with a coworker who had a jacked up Bronco and on one side street our wake moved cars parked along the side. He somehow made it to South Claiborne, to Broadway, and dropped me at the corner of Willow. I rolled up my pants and waded through thigh-deep water back to Butler Hall where we were staying (and which just barely had a film of water in the lobby because it's built up higher).

None of which compares to 5/8/95 (which has its own Wikipedia page, check it out).
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Lots of pictures being posted to Facebook, showing storm drains blocked by trash and accumulated dirt (with a "healthy" stand of grass and weeds growing in it). The inference would be that nobody was keeping the drains open.
maddog
President's Circle

Unread post by maddog »

The city council appropriated $3 million last year to repair and clean out drains. Work hasn't started. One half of the 16 pumps not working during the flood were broke (not down for maintenance ). The mayor is president of the Sewerage & Water Board. He is running around shooting everybody in the head. Number two guy is a lifetime political appointee who probably doesn't know a pump from a banana peel. He is retiring at $175 K per year. Let's see if another politico takes his place.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Roller wrote:Lots of pictures being posted to Facebook, showing storm drains blocked by trash and accumulated dirt (with a "healthy" stand of grass and weeds growing in it). The inference would be that nobody was keeping the drains open.
While the Dept. of Public Works is responsible for catch basin clean out, residents are responsible for keeping the pathway to the catch basins clear. You know how that goes. I regularly use the phrase "lazy ass New Orleanians" several times a week.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

maddog wrote: Let's see if another politico takes his place.
Probably going to be Veolia. They already are managing the waste treatment plants.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
TUPF wrote:
A similar rain occurred summer of 1991. I rode back to campus from my summer job with a coworker who had a jacked up Bronco and on one side street our wake moved cars parked along the side. He somehow made it to South Claiborne, to Broadway, and dropped me at the corner of Willow. I rolled up my pants and waded through thigh-deep water back to Butler Hall where we were staying (and which just barely had a film of water in the lobby because it's built up higher).
Thigh deep on you Pete means I would have needed a snorkel and fins.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

we had two flooding events during my years... both in April.. first one wasn't so bad.. was on the Saturday of our South Seas Island Party.. by mid afternoon, you couldn't tell where the lagoon (aka water filled mud hole) was.. we tried to roast a pig... ended up going into the oven to get fully cooked.. I sloshed back to Monroe from Broadway in knee deep, flowing water.. some KAs or Sigman Nus were in the middle of Freret on top of kegs

second was the next year.. hit just after spring break and before our formal in Pensacola... it was not just New Orleans.. parts of I-10 were impassable due to the Pearl River basin flooding.. we had to drive through the Stennis Space Center on our ride back from Pensacola... anyway, classes were canceled for a day due to the flooding
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest