Eclipse 2017

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
sr
Regent's Circle

Eclipse 2017

Post by sr »

Being in central Texas we'll get about a 60-65% view.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Eclipse 2017

Post by PeteRasche »

There are some pretty cool simulators online where you can put in a zip code and it will show you a progression of how the eclipse will appear between 11 am and 4 pm or so. Time Inc. has a good one.

We're close enough to be like 85 to 90% or so. I suspect I'll get busy at work and completely forget to look. :?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote:There are some pretty cool simulators online where you can put in a zip code and it will show you a progression of how the eclipse will appear between 11 am and 4 pm or so. Time Inc. has a good one.

We're close enough to be like 85 to 90% or so. I suspect I'll get busy at work and completely forget to look. :?
Were going to be at around 92-93% here. That's close enough that I am dissuaded from joining the mass crawl up I-95.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Yeah, I saw a headline this morning about cities and counties preparing for the traffic messes it will cause, some of which are from too many people being in small towns (towns can't handle the volume) and some of which are the expected "people will just expect they can drive to a place with 100% coverage on the day of".
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

we are getting 98% in Charlotte... they have notices on the traffic management signs: Eclipse on Aug 21.. be prepared for delays

They are fully expecting people to stop on the highway to look at the eclipse
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

96% in the Tri Cities. My brother is taking his sons out of School Monday, driving down to Spartanburg to see 100% I was in Guadalajara when one was about 2/3 or 3/4; the colors became sepia, the birds and the insects became silent. The shadows were bizarrely shaped. Can't wait to see near totality.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Most of the schools here are out for Monday. They don't want to risk a kid looking up without the right glasses and getting blinded. They are treating it like a snow day.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Most of the schools here are out for Monday. They don't want to risk a kid looking up without the right glasses and getting blinded. They are treating it like a snow day.
Serves them right for starting school so ridiculously early anyway. 8) :lol:
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Most of the schools here are out for Monday. They don't want to risk a kid looking up without the right glasses and getting blinded. They are treating it like a snow day.
Way, way back, when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, living in McAllen, TX, we got to see a solar eclipse. I don't know how total it was, but I do remember that our teacher brought a roll of Kodak 620 film (the most common film at the time, since it fit the popular Brownie camera), which she pulled off the reel and exposed it to sunlight. Then she cut it into strips for each of us to look through. She admonished us heavily not to look at the sun except through the film. Not seeing it directly was sort of a disappointment, so I (and several others, it turned out) sneaked a couple of quick 1-second peeks through squinted eyes.

I wasn't blinded (but I'm sure it contributed to the many "floaters" that have in my eyes now).
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roller wrote:
Way, way back, when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, living in McAllen, TX, we got to see a solar eclipse. I don't know how total it was, but I do remember that our teacher brought a roll of Kodak 620 film (the most common film at the time, since it fit the popular Brownie camera), which she pulled off the reel and exposed it to sunlight. Then she cut it into strips for each of us to look through. She admonished us heavily not to look at the sun except through the film. Not seeing it directly was sort of a disappointment, so I (and several others, it turned out) sneaked a couple of quick 1-second peeks through squinted eyes.

I wasn't blinded (but I'm sure it contributed to the many "floaters" that have in my eyes now).
I did something similar in Rhode Island in the mid 60s, I think. I always wondered about my "floaters".
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Up here in Kingsport the school system has glasses for everyone! Planning educational presentations, and all will get to see it here
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

AO Sig wrote:
Up here in Kingsport the school system has glasses for everyone! Planning educational presentations, and all will get to see it here
Sounds fun. Too bad Kingsport City Schools are the exception and not the rule. I'm guessing the county schools wish they had the budget for that kind of thing.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Serves them right for starting school so ridiculously early anyway. 8) :lol:
This x 1000

My son's school has enough glasses for 1/3 of students and will ask them to share. Will be interesting how they'll get the 2/3 of 5 year olds to not look when it isnt their turn. Still, I'm happy and proud that the school is embracing this rather than running from it.

I'm also sad that the assault on summer (one of the biggest threats to effective early education IMO) is so extreme that I was "happy/relieved" that my son "only" started back last Wednesday. That's still too early, but by comparison.......
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

That early start date is so weird. My friends and I always thought of Labor Day as the official end of summer, complete with a final sleepover in a tent in the back yard. September felt like getting back to work. August feels like beach, BBQ, ice cream and sandlot baseball.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:That early start date is so weird. My friends and I always thought of Labor Day as the official end of summer, complete with a final sleepover in a tent in the back yard. September felt like getting back to work. August feels like beach, BBQ, ice cream and sandlot baseball.
But aren't they also in school til June?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:That early start date is so weird. My friends and I always thought of Labor Day as the official end of summer, complete with a final sleepover in a tent in the back yard. September felt like getting back to work. August feels like beach, BBQ, ice cream and sandlot baseball.
But aren't they also in school til June?
Usually only a week or 1.5 after Memorial Day, not like through the whole month or anything.

Tulane was the first time in my life I'd been done with school in May. Growing up we started the same time as Tulane (week before Labor Day) but went a week into June. But I'd had a slightly longer holiday break and, uh, usually a couple of snow days...
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Our kids started the second week in August; the reason at they give is that there are classes that go only 1 semester, so they try to get the Spring and Fall semesters to be the same length. I think it is weird to take the kids to school in early August, but one benefit is that the kids are out before Memorial Day (so places such as the beach, Disney world, etc. are not as crowded when we go on trips right after school is out.
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

In Louisiana, what has changed is school starts three weeks earlier than 40 years ago.
They also have much longer breaks for Christmas/ New Year, Mardi Gras and Spring Break (usually coinciding with Easter)

School still goes to early June and is still 180 days long.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

BC Wave wrote:In Louisiana, what has changed is school starts three weeks earlier than 40 years ago.
They also have much longer breaks for Christmas/ New Year, Mardi Gras and Spring Break (usually coinciding with Easter)

School still goes to early June and is still 180 days long.
Who goes to June? My kids start mid-August and are out mid-May.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:Who goes to June? My kids start mid-August and are out mid-May.
Any school that starts in late August instead of mid-August. Everybody's gotta get their 180 days....

Just about every school in Ohio does late August to first week of June (depending how Memorial Day falls that year)....

Meanwhile, back to the topic, I just had a meeting scheduled by a "I don't give a $#!+" project manager from 2 pm to 3 pm, in an interior conference room (no windows). So much for seeing the eclipse... :?
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
Any school that starts in late August instead of mid-August. Everybody's gotta get their 180 days....

Just about every school in Ohio does late August to first week of June (depending how Memorial Day falls that year)....

Meanwhile, back to the topic, I just had a meeting scheduled by a "I don't give a $#!+" project manager from 2 pm to 3 pm, in an interior conference room (no windows). So much for seeing the eclipse... :?
I think you ate something for lunch that's not agreeing with you, right? 8)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:

I meant in New Orleans. I've never heard of a school here going to June.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

We peaked out here in Seattle at 10:20 a.m {PDT. In the 90% zone. Still could see outside no problem, but very weird, low light, and almost total silence. I guess everyone had stopped what they were doing to look up.