Harvey

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Harvey

Unread post by TUPF »

Just saw a newsfeed saying some Houston folks were shoulder deep in water.

Don't need to tell you Katrina veterans how devastating this must be.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:Just saw a newsfeed saying some Houston folks were shoulder deep in water.

Don't need to tell you Katrina veterans how devastating this must be.
Tulane law school classmates of mine in Houston posting pictures from their high-up apartments of I-10 completely under water, looking like a river. Ugh.

P.S. FS54, not a good idea to ever use the phrase "go back to Africa". Just sayin'.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Predicting 50" of rainfall before it's all over :shock:
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

One hospital in the Medical Center is starting to evacuate critical care patients. Most of the hospitals moved all electrical and critical building support systems to higher floors after the last time Houston flooded.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

The Governor of TX asked Houston's Mayor to call for a controlled evacuation the Mayor said that wasn't necessary. I wonder if he would like a do over.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

Looking ahead to this weekend...The Houston Cougars are @ UTSA (not sure if that is any better than being home), and the Rice Owls have the weekend off. So at least those teams aren't facing any rescheduled or cancelled games.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

The question is whether their facilities or even campuses are usable this semester. We've, uh, been there, done that. :(
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:The question is whether their facilities or even campuses are usable this semester. We've, uh, been there, done that. :(
The water is still rising, but so far it looks like UH, at least, doesn't have totally catastrophic damage.

http://www.uh.edu/news-events/stories/2 ... mation.php
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

UH, interestingly enough, opens with 2 on the road against UTSA and Arizona and don't play at home until the 16th against Rice, which is otherwise an irritating Dicksonian scheduling quirk but might work out for them pretty well.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

GreenieBacker wrote:The Governor of TX asked Houston's Mayor to call for a controlled evacuation the Mayor said that wasn't necessary. I wonder if he would like a do over.
The mayor has consistently defended his decision since the flood.

And the more I read about it, the more I'm
Starting to feel like he's right.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
enviro5609
Navigator Level

Unread post by enviro5609 »

WaveProf wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:The Governor of TX asked Houston's Mayor to call for a controlled evacuation the Mayor said that wasn't necessary. I wonder if he would like a do over.
The mayor has consistently defended his decision since the flood.

And the more I read about it, the more I'm
Starting to feel like he's right.
10 people have died so far in Harvey.

As many as 109 died during the Rita evacuation (and Rita missed Houston after all).

Driving through Houston on a normal Thursday at evening rush hour is an impassible slog. I used to time my drive from New Orleans to my folks place in Austin in order to hit Houston at non-peak times. The infrastructure there is simply abysmal. No public transit to speak of, 6 million people, and only 4 highways. If they had ordered an evacuation on Thursday, in all likelihood thousands would still have been trapped in traffic on the now flooded highways when Harvey hit. It would have been an unimaginable humanitarian disaster.

The time to order an evacuation would have been days before landfall-- at which point Harvey didn't even have a name yet.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

enviro5609 wrote:The time to order an evacuation would have been days before landfall-- at which point Harvey didn't even have a name yet.
100% nailed it right there... there was literally no time to order it when it was going to be a tropical storm and suddenly, 24 hours later, they said "oh sheet... it's going to be a Cat 3 and stall over Texas for a week!!"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest