First there was Harvey...

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: First there was Harvey...

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:And now USF and UConn are in talks about cancelling or moving up game time for the game in East Hartford.
The "I Care So Hard" arms race is off and running.
:lol: :lol:
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

GreenieBacker wrote:Pete, I'm aware Roller is not here. But since you don't live here either you might be surprised at the level of anxiety people were feeling over this storm. And Irma had been tracking, slowly, ever westward. Which had a number of us concerned since Katrina did the same thing. It wasn't until last night that we saw the first move back toward the East. And poor Florida.
My daughter just stopped to get gas at Costco and said the lines to the pumps were crazy. People . . .
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

We are an insane people. The folks in line at Costco and everywhere else have new media'ed themselves into thinking the storm is COMING RIGHT AT THEM. I succumbed briefly and cancelled two high school football games in New Mexico because "it's the right thing to do."

And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Well, trying to be fair when you've lost almost everything to a hurricane you do tend to get gun shy. And the local "news" doesn't exactly tamp down anxiety
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

This isn't about the local news. If people here were watching the local news responsibly they wouldn't be lining up for gas. It's about immersive new media (not all that new, really) personalizing everything and cutting people off from their immediate surroundings and even their own bodies. Don't make put that youtube video on again.

you're next
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I'm just glad we can joke about this now.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
long green wrote:I'm sorry to stop the mass Mrs. Reverend Lovejoy impression but the "why can't they play the game" crowd is right. Leave early, stay late. There is plenty of time and space to see what will happen with this storm. But we have to always be topping ourselves in long-distance concern-trolling.
Totally agree. If the storm actually comes to where I live, it won't get here before Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest, but in the past 7 hours I've gotten 7 phone calls from friends and family, inquiring as to how we're making out with the hurricane. Plus a passel of emails and texts.

The news media have GOT TO STOP the hype fest. They claim it's a "public service" to give "ample" warning, but it's really just to scare folks and keep them tuned in. :roll:
You ride out one storm with Noah and all of a sudden you laugh in the face of a Cat 5 :king:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GreenieBacker wrote:Well, trying to be fair when you've lost almost everything to a hurricane you do tend to get gun shy. And the local "news" doesn't exactly tamp down anxiety

they are actually worse than the network news... so last night, this is what I got from my local NBC affiliate:

Irma... not sure where it's heading... local story... local story... local story... back to Irma, here's a shot of a Miami store with no water or food on the shelves.. let's go to cute young blonde reporter with her story on the potential impact in Charlotte... her story starts of showing ONE store was low on gallons of water, and continues with the cute blonde calling a bunch of other stores that all said "Ummm, we have plenty of water".. point of the story? You'd better run out and get water because that ones store was low...

unrelated, later in the newscast going into the first break, they tease a story "big spiders are more prevalent across Charlotte... see one woman's concern and why it's happening!!" Come back from break, they interview a woman who opened the blinds to a window in her daughter's room to see a completely harmless black and yellow garden spider with an orb outside the window... so of course the first thing she does is panic and call the news station. Now mind you, black and yellow garden spiders are large and scary looking.. but they are benign and eat all of the pesky bugs we all hate... I have five of them patrolling my back deck... anyway, they interview a pest control guy and he says "umm yeah, they are always around this time of year"... so that big tease for a story about an idiot followed by an explanation that told you nothing.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

TU77CAL82 wrote:And now USF and UConn are in talks about cancelling or moving up game time for the game in East Hartford.
Well, at least it isn't the week of the CONFLICT....
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Don't ask me. I have been at sea during a nasty hurricane causing 15 submarines to scramble to sea, witnessed my 360', 7000 ton boat be half out of the water during the storm's fury. Puts the fear of God in you.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Don't ask me. I have been at sea during a nasty hurricane causing 15 submarines to scramble to sea, witnessed my 360', 7000 ton boat be half out of the water during the storm's fury. Puts the fear of God in you.
Why didn't you submerge? I thought deep water was less turbulent .
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

windywave wrote:You ride out one storm with Noah and all of a sudden you laugh in the face of a Cat 5 :king:
Sure. Leave it to YOU to take the side of the WIND!
I laugh at Death! Death has no dominion over me! I shall stand at the gate with spear and cutlass in hand and dare them to exercise all their might, but I will not budge.

But for the record, the first storm (I remember) I rode out was Flossy (1956). Since then, I entertained Ethel (1964), Hilda (1964), Betsy (1965 --twice), Edith (1971), David (1979), Frederick (1979), Isabel (2003), and Matthew (2016). Some of those were minor, and I missed the eye (or rather it missed me) in about half, but they all contributed to a sleepless night, watching and waiting (except for Matthew, which is the only one that came through my location in the daytime). In addition, I reported for duty at CBC Gulfport just a few days after Camille (1969), and I took a SeaBee detachment to Corpus Christi the day after Celia (1970). I'm sure that many residents of South Louisiana have as much experience as I do, so I imagine that most of the panic are those who have limited experience and an overabundance of warning.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:Don't ask me. I have been at sea during a nasty hurricane causing 15 submarines to scramble to sea, witnessed my 360', 7000 ton boat be half out of the water during the storm's fury. Puts the fear of God in you.
Why didn't you submerge? I thought deep water was less turbulent .
For the most part we were. But the thing is, when a boat is deep, it really truly is cut off from the rest of the world. WWIII could happen and we'd learn about it later. Unlike a boomer which is in constant comms while on alert, a fast attack is a lone wolf that makes a quick trip shallow every so often to get a passive message download. Unfortunately for us, that required excursion was right in the teeth of a Cat 4 hurricane. We literally were sucked up to the surface from 150' deep. Lots of buckets next to watchstanders for those few minutes. Even down deep we felt 10 degree rolls. Momma Nature don't play.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

80% of the Miami team is from South Florida. They have mothers, fathers, girlfriends, wives, kids, brothers, etc. in South Florida. They're more concerned about their well being than a football game. The players want to stay with them and help them prepare and weather the storm, rather than play a game. I can't believe any Tulane fans, or anyone in any way shape of form associated with the city of New Orleans would question this decision. All players were released to go home, or with the team to Orlando.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

FW wrote:80% of the Miami team is from South Florida. They have mothers, fathers, girlfriends, wives, kids, brothers, etc. in South Florida. They're more concerned about their well being than a football game. The players want to stay with them and help them prepare and weather the storm, rather than play a game. I can't believe any Tulane fans, or anyone in any way shape of form associated with the city of New Orleans would question this decision. All players were released to go home, or with the team to Orlando.
I question it.

1. FAU,a program with less resources, is still playing their game at Wisconsin.

2. FIU is still playing their game, just moved to Birmingham. Fla State, Florida, USF, and UCF found ways to play their game.

3. Arkansas states and the Sunbelt gave Miami all kind of options such as moving the game up a day. Paying to put the team up in Memphis as long as necessary.

4. Isn't it interesting that his happens after Ark State barely loses a shootout at Nebraska and Miami now has an extra week to prepare for Florida State.

5. They claim safety, but the storm will be about 100 or so miles east Tallahassee next Tuesday. Think Miami will play the safety card and cancel their trip up there.

6. Miami knows they the biggest team to play in Jonesboro, AR in who knows how long. Just go play the game do something awesome for the Ark state fans, people of Jonesboro, and be safe out of town.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
windywave wrote:You ride out one storm with Noah and all of a sudden you laugh in the face of a Cat 5 :king:
Sure. Leave it to YOU to take the side of the WIND!
I laugh at Death! Death has no dominion over me! I shall stand at the gate with spear and cutlass in hand and dare them to exercise all their might, but I will not budge.

But for the record, the first storm (I remember) I rode out was Flossy (1956). Since then, I entertained Ethel (1964), Hilda (1964), Betsy (1965 --twice), Edith (1971), David (1979), Frederick (1979), Isabel (2003), and Matthew (2016). Some of those were minor, and I missed the eye (or rather it missed me) in about half, but they all contributed to a sleepless night, watching and waiting (except for Matthew, which is the only one that came through my location in the daytime). In addition, I reported for duty at CBC Gulfport just a few days after Camille (1969), and I took a SeaBee detachment to Corpus Christi the day after Celia (1970). I'm sure that many residents of South Louisiana have as much experience as I do, so I imagine that most of the panic are those who have limited experience and an overabundance of warning.
I also root for the WAVE
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Poseidon wrote:
FW wrote:80% of the Miami team is from South Florida. They have mothers, fathers, girlfriends, wives, kids, brothers, etc. in South Florida. They're more concerned about their well being than a football game. The players want to stay with them and help them prepare and weather the storm, rather than play a game. I can't believe any Tulane fans, or anyone in any way shape of form associated with the city of New Orleans would question this decision. All players were released to go home, or with the team to Orlando.
I question it.

2. FIU is still playing their game, just moved to Birmingham. Fla State, Florida, USF, and UCF found ways to play their game.

3. Arkansas states and the Sunbelt gave Miami all kind of options such as moving the game up a day. Paying to put the team up in Memphis as long as necessary.

4. Isn't it interesting that his happens after Ark State barely loses a shootout at Nebraska and Miami now has an extra week to prepare for Florida State.

5. They claim safety, but the storm will be about 100 or so miles east Tallahassee next Tuesday. Think Miami will play the safety card and cancel their trip up there.

6. Miami knows they the biggest team to play in Jonesboro, AR in who knows how long. Just go play the game do something awesome for the Ark state fans, people of Jonesboro, and be safe out of town.
FAU is dumb. Lane Kiffin doesn't give a crap about the players. You really think moving the game to Friday helps? You really think football is more important? Go look at twitter? The players are actually fighting with idiot fans who are questioning it. All they care about is their family. They don't care about a dumb game. This had nothing to do with Arkansas State playing a 7-5 Nebraska team close. Miami is picked to win the ACC Coastal, win 10+ games. Desmond Howard picked them to be in the College Football Playoff. They'd kill ASU. Last year Miami heard the same the same thing after App State lost to Tennessee in OT and Miami was only favored by 3 going to Boone. Miami won 45-10 and called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter. Miami was favored by 15. They weren't afraid of Arkansas State. As for two weeks to prepare for FSU, no. Richt told the team today, the chances of playing that game are slim because of what the storm is going to do to South Florida. Even if the game is played, it's not like Miami is getting to practice this week (or maybe even most of next week) anyway.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

FW wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
I question it.

FAU is dumb.Depends on who you ask Lane Kiffin doesn't give a crap about the players. FAU seems to think so he is hired to lead them You really think moving the game to Friday helps? Yes You really think football is more important? :roll: Go look at twitter? searched cound't find.
Link?, but i'll bite
The players are actually fighting with idiot fans who are questioning it. All they care about is their family. They don't care about a dumb game. This had nothing to do with Arkansas State playing a 7-5 Nebraska team close. I'm pretty sure Nebraska is 1-0 Miami is picked to win the ACC Coastal, win 10+ games Miami was 8-4 last year which is much closer to 7-5. Desmond Howard picked them to be in the College Football Playoff. :| They'd kill ASU. :roll: Last year Miami heard the same the same thing after App State lost to Tennessee in OT and Miami was only favored by 3 going to Boone. Miami won 45-10 and called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter. That's a fair point. Miami was favored by 15. They weren't afraid of Arkansas State As for two weeks to prepare for FSU, no. Richt told the team today, the chances of playing that game are slim because of what the storm is going to do to South Florida.We'll see how that turns out Even if the game is played, it's not like Miami is getting to practice this week (or maybe even most of next week) anyway. You do know FIU and FAU are in the Miami metro area too. I doubt they are skipping practice and just playing this weekend totally unprepared.
I am not making any moral calls. I just think the decision can be questioned.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Lol
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Florida just canceled their game with Northern Colorado, so, there's that
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

FW wrote:Florida just canceled their game with Northern Colorado, so, there's that
There's that. Anyone remember Hermine in '98 the game right before that storm. Is my memory correct?
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Poseidon wrote:
FW wrote:Florida just canceled their game with Northern Colorado, so, there's that
There's that. Anyone remember Hermine in '98 the game right before that storm. Is my memory correct?
Was that Georges? When we played Navy? We watched the game and then drove to San Antonio. Took us 13 hours. It was a logistical nightmare. That storm came nowhere near New Orleans, and was nowhere near the magnitude of this storm.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

This storm is the size of Texas. It dwarfs Andrew by a significant margin.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

GreenieBacker wrote:This storm is the size of Texas. It dwarfs Andrew by a significant margin.
Miami to Tallahassee is 400 miles. The circumference of this storm is 400 miles. This storm is gigantic. We're supposed to get it as a tropical storm on Tuesday afternoon in Chattanooga. That's how big and powerful it is.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

ps

USF and UConn just cancelled. When all is said and done, Scum Kiffin will be the only one playing. Probably all by himself, without any players.