Might Tulane also sign Mike Barber of Jackson MS for hoops?

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
randymc
President's Circle

Might Tulane also sign Mike Barber of Jackson MS for hoops?

Unread post by randymc »

he visited in early Sept. and Coach Dunleavy has offered. The young man is a 6-8 F with a nice inside game. One of the top players in Mississippi who had Ole Miss and Miss. State as well as Wichita State also interested in him, according to prep recruiting reports.
https://twitter.com/mbreezy269
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Might Tulane also sign Mike Barber of Jackson MS for hoo

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

...and according to the twitter profile you liked to committed to Memphis last week....
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

You are confusing Mike with his retweet of C. Vanover who did commit to Memphis. Barber has done no such thing.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

randymc wrote:You are confusing Mike with his retweet of C. Vanover who did commit to Memphis. Barber has done no such thing.
You are correct, sir. My apologies.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

no apologies needed.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

randymc wrote:You are confusing Mike with his retweet of C. Vanover who did commit to Memphis. Barber has done no such thing.
Is Vanover the 7'4 guy that recently committed to Memphis?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

We have 2 spots for next year unless somebody leaves. One used up on Wood. I'm wondering if we should save one in the hope of landing a true stud or leaving a spot for a potential grad transfer.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If you think this guy can help you win NOW and makes your team better...........sign him.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

no spot is "used up" until they sign.

We could use an athletic wing or forward.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Plus, when was the last time we actually kept everyone who could stay?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote:
I saw 7'2", but yes.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote:
waverider wrote:
I saw 7'2", but yes.
I was wondering how accurate the height was. Read it in a generic headline "Memphis gets commitment from 7'4 kid" or something like that.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Which brings me to a question. How hard is it to actually measure a player’s height? It’s not like timing a 40 when you are arguing about methods, technology, wind effects.

Unless someone just returned from an extended stay on the ISS, height is static. Stand someone against a straight wall, get a ladder and a pencil, put something flat on the kid’s head to get the highest height, and mark it.

All these 2-4” variations are because someone wants to be obtuse, not because they can’t find a measuring tape at Home Depot.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:Which brings me to a question. How hard is it to actually measure a player’s height? It’s not like timing a 40 when you are arguing about methods, technology, wind effects.

Unless someone just returned from an extended stay on the ISS, height is static. Stand someone against a straight wall, get a ladder and a pencil, put something flat on the kid’s head to get the highest height, and mark it.

All these 2-4” variations are because someone wants to be obtuse, not because they can’t find a measuring tape at Home Depot.
I'd say shoes on/off and we're taking about high school kids here. Weeks could make a difference if they're still growing
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:Which brings me to a question. How hard is it to actually measure a player’s height? It’s not like timing a 40 when you are arguing about methods, technology, wind effects.

I'd say shoes on/off and we're taking about high school kids here. Weeks could make a difference if they're still growing
It's simple. With shoes and without. Of course, that part is always left out in reported heights for MBB players.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

You guys are more concerned about it being correct than the teams themselves are. Some teams pad height to make the roster look more intimidating. Some don't. Some measure you exactly, barefoot, with a level on the crown of your head against a wall. Some ask you how tall you are and take your word. I was 6'10 in the program (and legitimately, I'd stopped growing), but my fifth year someone made me 6'11. No one said a word to me and I wasn't remeasured, it just appeared that way when the media guide came out, and that was the first I knew of it. To be honest, it kinda ticked me off.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:You guys are more concerned about it being correct than the teams themselves are. Some teams pad height to make the roster look more intimidating. Some don't. Some measure you exactly, barefoot, with a level on the crown of your head against a wall. Some ask you how tall you are and take your word. I was 6'10 in the program (and legitimately, I'd stopped growing), but my fifth year someone made me 6'11. No one said a word to me and I wasn't remeasured, it just appeared that way when the media guide came out, and that was the first I knew of it. To be honest, it kinda ticked me off.
I thought you were listed as 7'
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Sorta like the guy whose hand measured 11-7/8 inches. He would not let them call it 12 inches, because then it would be a foot.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Johnny Mac wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:You guys are more concerned about it being correct than the teams themselves are. Some teams pad height to make the roster look more intimidating. Some don't. Some measure you exactly, barefoot, with a level on the crown of your head against a wall. Some ask you how tall you are and take your word. I was 6'10 in the program (and legitimately, I'd stopped growing), but my fifth year someone made me 6'11. No one said a word to me and I wasn't remeasured, it just appeared that way when the media guide came out, and that was the first I knew of it. To be honest, it kinda ticked me off.
Nope, never. Joe Passi was.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

The only time I think heights are accurate is when the NBA measures prospects before the draft. I remember Anthony Reed being listed at 6-8. Wayne Picou told me Reed was measured at 6-5 1/2 by the NBA.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Nope, never. Joe Passi was.
no offense, but I always got you two confused... however, I was also in Boston and saw maybe 2 games per year
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

doc wrote:The only time I think heights are accurate is when the NBA measures prospects before the draft. I remember Anthony Reed being listed at 6-8. Wayne Picou told me Reed was measured at 6-5 1/2 by the NBA.
True. Or something like that. Maybe 6'-5 3/4" or something.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Barber is also getting interest from Richmond Spiders of late, via Andrew Force recruiting analyst on Twitter