FBI arrests college hoops assistants

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: FBI arrests college hoops assistants

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
long green wrote:I think UL's impending killer probation (I feel the NCAA will be too squeamish to give the DP)

I still maintain since the probation from the stripper scandal is so fresh that they get a 2 year program "death penalty"... they allow players to transfer (if they desire) with no sitting out a year... they will allow a new coaching staff to begin recruiting players, including transfers, after the first year of the penalty so guys can be "redshirt freshmen" or immediately eligible when the program resumes.
Do we still have a spot open?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:Big winner in all this .... Big Baller brand
Lol, as always!
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

It's tough when you lose your parking spot at the sorority house ... well maybe.

https://twitter.com/OnionSports/status/ ... 5824094208
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Anyone else besides me watching this unfolding, and thinking about Dunleavy's somewhat brash interview last summer (2016, not this past) where he basically said all the other top coaches are cheating to get the top recruits, but we don't have to because he's got such great connections around the world? And also thinking about how we are, in fact, mainly focusing on foreign players (who presumably aren't as tied-down to shoe company/AAU dealings)?

If Dunleavy's smart (cheap though this move might be), he talks to every sports-talk-radio show he can in the next few days and basically says "see, I told you so... and there's more of them if you keep digging." Not only would that boldly state "go ahead and investigate us, we're clean", but it sends a subconscious message to those top players we're after (who are also being recruited by the big schools) that maybe, just maybe, Tulane is a safe choice to pick because those other schools might end up on probation while they're there.
I like it, Pete. If he were to do something like this, would he be blackballed by the coaching equivalent of the Blue Line, or is he in such a place in his career where he could give a cr@p if they do?
He's rich and a veteran already and his personality seems to have a je ne sais qui of frick you. I don't think he would care and more important may take them on just because he can.
That's exactly what I'm hoping happens here. Surely one of the local radio talking heads has to be wanting to get him on the phone to get his thoughts on this whole thing, right? Let 'em have it, Mike!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:I guess no one read my post? :-D

it was not really a surprise to the gaggle of sports reporters camped out at Loserville today. More heads, many more heads will roll before this is over. Oh, and the buyout mud fight about to ensue should be popcorn worthy.

edit- Oh, and the Loserville Prez is an interim Prez. Not even the permanent guy.
Saw a fair amount of speculation yesterday that Petrino would also get caught up in this house cleaning...
A co-worker's young brother was texting him the best posts from some reddit page about the scandal and one guy said, "wait, this means Petrino is unsupervised! Somebody get eyes on him, stat!"
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

sr wrote:It's tough when you lose your parking spot at the sorority house ... well maybe.

https://twitter.com/OnionSports/status/ ... 5824094208
I don't get the joke
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

WSJ quotes Gabe Feldman of Tulane Law School that what was done may be violation of NCAA regs but not necessarily federal law. Interesting. So some involved may do no legal hangout and fight the criminal accusations.

Warning may be behind a pay wall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/probe-into ... 1506553296
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Johnny Mac wrote:
long green wrote:I think UL's impending killer probation (I feel the NCAA will be too squeamish to give the DP)

I still maintain since the probation from the stripper scandal is so fresh that they get a 2 year program "death penalty"... they allow players to transfer (if they desire) with no sitting out a year... they will allow a new coaching staff to begin recruiting players, including transfers, after the first year of the penalty so guys can be "redshirt freshmen" or immediately eligible when the program resumes.
Pretty much sounds too logical !! :green wink:
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

Well at least we can say that LSU is not involved in this....b/c if they were they obviously found a way to still suck at basketball. :-)
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

BACONWAVE wrote:Well at least we can say that LSU is not involved in this....b/c if they were they obviously found a way to still suck at basketball. :-)
I'd say their recent recruiting success despite sucking might indicate otherwise...
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Key in Pitino case is whether he is the unnamed Louisville coach who was directly involved with Adidas exec in arranging payments to Bowen's family to have him come to Louisville. Those conversations were wiretapped by FBI. Some news reports say yes. Others say not determined. If yes then of course Pitino has no plausible deniability he can claim. (I guess strippers case was "implausible deniability?? :mrgreen: )

I think it's pretty clear that it's yes because he got canned so fast and he dragged Jurich down with him. Not even UL could stomach this.

I assume the aggravating factor in all this was the presser Pitino held after the Bowen commitment where he said he was the luckiest man alive and UL literally had to spend "0 dollars" to land a top recruit which had never occurred in his forty years of coaching. I guess he left out the point that it was Adidas that was the bag man here.

Again if yes, it's amazing the size of the brass cujones on these egos. Pitino couldn't just grease the sleazy skids to get Bowen, he had to brag about being the luckiest man alive about how fortune just fell in his lap. Homer had it right 3000 years ago. Nemesis always stalks and eventually captures hubris.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Down goes Nike
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Rick Pitino

"These allegations come as a complete shock to me," Pitino said. "If true, I agree with the U.S. Attorney's Office that these third-party schemes, initiated by a few bad actors, operated to commit a fraud on the impacted universities and their basketball programs, including the University of Louisville. Our fans and supporters deserve better, and I am committed to taking whatever steps are needed to ensure those responsible are held accountable."

I'm Shocked I tell Ya' SHOCKED!

Like I said, brass balls and completely mercenary, he doesn't care who he throws overboard to save his @ss.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:WSJ quotes Gabe Feldman of Tulane Law School that what was done may be violation of NCAA regs but not necessarily federal law. Interesting. So some involved may do no legal hangout and fight the criminal accusations.

Warning may be behind a pay wall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/probe-into ... 1506553296
That's what I was thinking...what law is broken if Adidas pays a kid to go to a school? Wonder if they are claiming the income?
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

A poster on the AAC Board said "It all started when UL put teeth on a bird....."

Why do I crack up every time I think about that?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!
Lucky for this Bowen kid he got his $ this year...still plenty of time to report it!
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

ml wave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:as ml wrote, in the end the criminal(?) charges may "only" involve unreported income to the IRS. Still, what fun reading its been!
Lucky for this Bowen kid he got his $ this year...still plenty of time to report it!
As the recipient, I think a good lawyer for make the argument that is a gift and therefore not taxable income.

Coaches getting bribed should be reporting it as income as I don't think you can make the same argument.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

one of my friends in Atlanta who follows this kinda crap a little too religiously quoted a chart he saw recently that showed that out of the top 50 ranked guys over the past 5 recruiting classes, 235 out of 250 signed with a college sponsored by the same shoe company as their AAU team.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
As the recipient, I think a good lawyer for make the argument that is a gift and therefore not taxable income.

Coaches getting bribed should be reporting it as income as I don't think you can make the same argument.
14K limit and arguing that there was no quid pro quo is specious
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

14K is for person making the gift. Anything above is greater then annual exclusion and the person making the gift uses up some of their lifetime exclusion. Recipient of a gift does not pay taxes.

I agree on your second point. Is it a gift or compensation for doing something (playing basketball at Louisville)?
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Or is it payment for doing business with a particular financial adviser; and/or entering into a marketing arrangement with a particular shoe company to the exclusion of all other financial advisers and sports apparel companies. No kid has been indicted. The criminal act is an asst. coach taking money (and passing some of it on) and the shoe company or other third parties giving a bribe to ensure it gets business. Then, the shoe company and others cook the books to hide the real purpose of the payments, i.e., fraud.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Washington Post now says Pitino under criminal investigation as well. Guess it was obvious that shoe was gonna drop.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/r ... becf32257d
Godfather
President's Circle

Unread post by Godfather »

windywave wrote:Down goes Nike
To my fallen homie Oregon...

windywave
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
ml wave wrote:

14K is for person making the gift. Anything above is greater then annual exclusion and the person making the gift uses up some of their lifetime exclusion. Recipient of a gift does not pay taxes.

I agree on your second point. Is it a gift or compensation for doing something (playing basketball at Louisville)?
So if a company gifted me 100K to take my talents there, I could argue it wasn't a payment?
#cousins don't count