Tulane Opens As 3 point favorite against the other TU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane Opens As 3 point favorite against the other TU

Unread post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:
waverider wrote:
Man in Green wrote:I have been waiting 15 years for lsu to start having to eat these big contacts. If they have to pay Coach O $12 mill to be done with him, they still have to buy out another coach and pay him big bucks. I'm guessing they will have to cough up $20 mill when it's all said and done. Lovely.
They also pay Les Miles $135k per MONTH as part of his buyout. Obviously they have the donors to pony up $12 million, but at that point will they be able to get a high profile coach on a cash strapped State's payroll?
I don't believe any of their athletic salaries come from state funds. Their TAF takes care of that and of paying buyouts. Having said that their TAF donors are going to be stretched mighty thin if they follow what they are paying Miles with having to pay even more to O. So the point holds that they are stuck for at least one more year and more likely at least two if not three.
I was kind of thinking that because they have the money to do it, but their HC salaries are usually listed with the State salaries making me think some came from the State. When they mishandled the firing/keeping of Miles the State's funding cuts were used as a reason (excuse).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Wr--- budget cuts came up during that WR because of optics. It would've been horrible at that moment politically to cut his salary and then complain about state budget cuts. But the reality is it was all optics. All that money came from donations just like yulman (when faculty complain about money spent on football)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

sr wrote:Looking at the Tropics ...

https://twitter.com/NWSHouston/status/9 ... 8804590593
Weather Channel currently showing a 90% chance of thunderstorms on Saturday. I imagine that will change a few times before Saturday.
waverider
Cornerstone

TU77CAL82 wrote:
sr wrote:Looking at the Tropics ...

https://twitter.com/NWSHouston/status/9 ... 8804590593
Weather Channel currently showing a 90% chance of thunderstorms on Saturday. I imagine that will change a few times before Saturday.
It's all dependent on what that tropical system does. Still very unorganized according to that tweet.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Line now up to 4.5.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:Wr--- budget cuts came up during that WR because of optics. It would've been horrible at that moment politically to cut his salary and then complain about state budget cuts. But the reality is it was all optics. All that money came from donations just like yulman (when faculty complain about money spent on football)
Prof is correct. None of their athletic money at this point in time comes from the state. The salaries get listed b/c they are employees of LSU.
We deserve so much better
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

wavedom wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Wr--- budget cuts came up during that WR because of optics. It would've been horrible at that moment politically to cut his salary and then complain about state budget cuts. But the reality is it was all optics. All that money came from donations just like yulman (when faculty complain about money spent on football)
Prof is correct. None of their athletic money at this point in time comes from the state. The salaries get listed b/c they are employees of LSU.
So I guess lsu handles its own audit ... the only way to run an (sec) athletic dept.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Now forecasting a tropical storm or low end hurricane likely to make landfall on the northern Gulf Coast on Sunday. Time to think about moving the game time up?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Now forecasting a tropical storm or low end hurricane likely to make landfall on the northern Gulf Coast on Sunday. Time to think about moving the game time up?
For purely selfish reasons I hope so. I've got tickets to an Eddie Money concert at 7:30 so I'd have to miss the second half. That said, I hope this thing dissipates...we've had enough for one year.
waverider
Cornerstone

This is looking promising. Most of these models have it going east of us.

Tulane Greenbackers

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

I'm not worried about the storm as much as I'm worried about the potential overreaction here in the city due to recent S&WB woes.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Haven't those pumps been refurbished and are now in service ??

waverider
Cornerstone

sr wrote:Haven't those pumps been refurbished and are now in service ??

I think they are back to about 60% capacity but it's hard to know because of differing stories. The issue is that they figured out a large majority of storm drains were full of mud and debris (resulting in lawsuits against the company contracted to keep the drains clean). There's no water getting to the pumps in some areas so it just backs up.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

If the storm goes east it's not a problem but that's not necessarily where it's going. The good news for flooding issues as of now is that when this system becomes an organized tropical storm it's expected to be a pretty fast mover.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

waverider wrote: I think they are back to about 60% capacity but it's hard to know because of differing stories. The issue is that they figured out a large majority of storm drains were full of mud and debris (resulting in lawsuits against the company contracted to keep the drains clean). There's no water getting to the pumps in some areas so it just backs up.
but, hey, they've been down my street twice since they figured that out to make sure the basins are clean.

so they're on top of that now.

maybe not very efficiently.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I live in the Lakeview-Lakefront area of town and here they're as scarce as hen's teeth. But we sure do have a wonderful Waterfall/Fountain at the overpass on Canal Blvd. And a budding small lake near my corner. Where water gently seeps as the layers of asphalt slowly sink into our new sinkhole. All we need are goldfish and water lilies.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I'd say even if it bends more west, it still won't be close enough to affect our game much. But hopefully y'all don't have to worry about it at all, even Sunday.

And selfishly, I hope it comes up here eventually, we need the rain.
waverider
Cornerstone

I just listened to FTW's podcast with a Tulsa beat writer. She basically said they can't pass well and their secondary is the weak spot on D. They are also 120th in run defense but they have played run heavy teams in New Mexico and Navy back to back.
Tulane Greenbackers

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

N.O. practically in the center of the cone now, but we need to get this game in. As I said before, I'm worried about overreaction.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

Move the game up to 11. Everyone gets home in time to watch the wind blow and a little rain. The Golden Hurricanes get out in time.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

What’s the local word on the storm without the Weather Channel hysteria?

Before all else, hoping you guys stay safe.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

I don't understand the point of the cone when the storms continually track outside of the cone. Just draw a line of the days guess and let it skew from there.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

This isn't a very large storm in terms of size. It looks like it will be a fast mover. If all holds as is currently predicted, the storm will still be off the coast at 2am on Sunday. Is that enough to move the game up on Saturday afternoon?
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

This is not something to be afraid of right now. It looks like an Isaac situation but it's expected to move much faster.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes