Dolphins sign Cutler

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Dolphins sign Cutler

Post by long green »

Good move, Dolphins. That man will be unemployable at year's end, if he's not so now. The only thing I can say in his defense is that the Saints' secondary is sneaky good with Crawley and Lattimore.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

FW wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:The Dolphins will probably still light up the Saints with Cutler. Even he can get the ball to Landry, Parker, Stills, Thomas, Ajayi against the Saints defense. I say 8-8, but that's just because they get the Jets and Bills 4 times total.
Cutler played the Saints 3 times as a Bear...and didn't crack 20 points in any of those games.
well, it's settled
My bad for facts
And that's relevant to 2017..........?
Because it's the same QB? Who doesn't exactly have a history of "light(ing) up the Saints"?
Same QB, not the same team. A 13-3 Saints team beat an 8-8 Bears team with Cutler. An 11-5 Saints team beat an 8-8 Bears team with Cutler, and a 7-9 Saints team beat a 5-11 Bears team with Cutler. None of those were good Bears team (2 were good Saints teams) and none of the Bears' teams had Adam Gase.
I didn't mention who won the games because, as you might say, it's not relevant. But if you're going to say that "even he can get the ball to (insert not exactly murderer's row of playmakers here) against the Saints"...maybe he can't. He sure didn't when he was with Chicago. Seems relevant to me.
I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I argue he has better talent in Miami around him, especially since everyone was hurt in Chicago.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:
ml wave wrote:
FW wrote:The Dolphins will probably still light up the Saints with Cutler. Even he can get the ball to Landry, Parker, Stills, Thomas, Ajayi against the Saints defense. I say 8-8, but that's just because they get the Jets and Bills 4 times total.
Cutler played the Saints 3 times as a Bear...and didn't crack 20 points in any of those games.
well, it's settled
My bad for facts
And that's relevant to 2017..........?
Because it's the same QB? Who doesn't exactly have a history of "light(ing) up the Saints"?
Same QB, not the same team. A 13-3 Saints team beat an 8-8 Bears team with Cutler. An 11-5 Saints team beat an 8-8 Bears team with Cutler, and a 7-9 Saints team beat a 5-11 Bears team with Cutler. None of those were good Bears team (2 were good Saints teams) and none of the Bears' teams had Adam Gase.
I didn't mention who won the games because, as you might say, it's not relevant. But if you're going to say that "even he can get the ball to (insert not exactly murderer's row of playmakers here) against the Saints"...maybe he can't. He sure didn't when he was with Chicago. Seems relevant to me.
I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I argue he has better talent in Miami around him, especially since everyone was hurt in Chicago.
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
:?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

what absolutely put me in hysterics yesterday was hearing Charles Davis and Kevin Burkhardt rambling on and on about the Dolphins' inability to create offense this season despite their "numerous" weapons.. completely ignoring the large elephant on the field wearing number 6.

They were supposed to have Cutler in the booth with them this season and probably hung out with him for a bit to get ready for the season, so maybe they are partial to not piling on the guy out of camaraderie... but if you're going to belittle the team for their offensive ineptitude, at least point out the obvious reason why they stink.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Johnny Mac wrote:what absolutely put me in hysterics yesterday was hearing Charles Davis and Kevin Burkhardt rambling on and on about the Dolphins' inability to create offense this season despite their "numerous" weapons.. completely ignoring the large elephant on the field wearing number 6.

They were supposed to have Cutler in the booth with them this season and probably hung out with him for a bit to get ready for the season, so maybe they are partial to not piling on the guy out of camaraderie... but if you're going to belittle the team for their offensive ineptitude, at least point out the obvious reason why they stink.
The OL is pretty s hitt y
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

FW wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:what absolutely put me in hysterics yesterday was hearing Charles Davis and Kevin Burkhardt rambling on and on about the Dolphins' inability to create offense this season despite their "numerous" weapons.. completely ignoring the large elephant on the field wearing number 6.

No your wrong FW as JM stated Cutler is clearly the reason the dolphins can't run block. :roll: Seriously, did you even watch the game JM? It was t like cutler was making mistakes. The play selection was so bland. It was clear that they thought they wod be able to run on the saints and when they couldn't they didn't open it up at all. They passed more, but the pass plays were slow developing short plays everyone could tell were designed to be complimented by an effective running game.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Spin it any way you like, but Cutler flat out stinks as a QB. Always has, always will. No energy. No leadership. Maybe they should give him a 5 Hour energy shot before the game to wake him up.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
FW wrote:

No your wrong FW as JM stated Cutler is clearly the reason the dolphins can't run block. :roll: Seriously, did you even watch the game JM? It was t like cutler was making mistakes. The play selection was so bland. It was clear that they thought they wod be able to run on the saints and when they couldn't they didn't open it up at all. They passed more, but the pass plays were slow developing short plays everyone could tell were designed to be complimented by an effective running game.
Lol, he sure didn't run block on that wildcat play...
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
FW wrote:

The only thing missing on that play was a cigarette. Cutler is not great, I won'd defend him, but the OL is garbage. The playcalling had been bad. I mean, you have an excellent RB and you don't use him. Cutler is 3rd on that list of problems though.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I'm not a Dolphins fan, but their lack of energy and focus can also be attributed to a schedule that's been an evacuation, then a flight to Los Angeles, then a flight to NY followed by a flight to London. Doesn't mean Cutler is better without jet lag, just pointing out that they've been traveling a lot.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Cutler may not be the entire problem but he was a disastrous choice. A mediocre active pro backup (best available McCown) would be doing better. That said, another problem is Gase. It's amazing how little you have to do to get a head coaching job in the NFL, which is another way of saying that the fraternity of offensive thought in the NFL is insanely narrow in breadth. No one dares do anything different yet this is passed off as the pinnacle of offensive thinking "in football."
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Amen to the coaching piece LG. I get furious watching the Titans every week. They are supposed to have plenty of weapons on offense and yet they run the same old bland thing everyone else does. The college game is infinitely more interesting to me because of the variety of styles.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
FW wrote:

To be fair to Cutler, he was supposed to do nothing in that situation. If he carries out a block or fake he can get hit.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
FW wrote:

To be fair to Cutler, he was supposed to do nothing in that situation. If he carries out a block or fake he can get hit.
This is a clear case of people making it a big deal because he is an easy target. You think Tom Brady would have fired off of the line and engaged the defender. No. He would have stayed put also and no one would have said jack.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
FW wrote:

Oh, I agree...doesn't make it any less funny though.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

waverider wrote:I'm not a Dolphins fan, but their lack of energy and focus can also be attributed to a schedule that's been an evacuation, then a flight to Los Angeles, then a flight to NY followed by a flight to London. Doesn't mean Cutler is better without jet lag, just pointing out that they've been traveling a lot.
There is some truth to that, and we'll probably never know, because the season is shot now. They're done, and won't recover.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

long green wrote:Cutler may not be the entire problem but he was a disastrous choice. A mediocre active pro backup (best available McCown) would be doing better. That said, another problem is Gase. It's amazing how little you have to do to get a head coaching job in the NFL, which is another way of saying that the fraternity of offensive thought in the NFL is insanely narrow in breadth. No one dares do anything different yet this is passed off as the pinnacle of offensive thinking "in football."
Look, I was never thrilled with Cutler, but I'm not giving up on Gase. It totally changed the culture of the team from Philbin. I will say, bringing in Cutler might have undone that though. A lot of the players loved Moore, and when Cutler was brought in, there's a chance he lost the locker room. The team looks like they've quit. There's also the fact that they lost a starting LB in the first preseason game, another starting LB went AWOL before the first game, Lawrence Timmons, and missed the first 2 games. Starting CB Tony Lipett got hurt in training camp and is out for the year. I'm not saying they'd be good now, but this doesn't help either.