***Official Soccer Thread***

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: ***Official Soccer Thread***

Post by NJwave »

FW wrote:Besler hasn't been playing well. Zusi is not a great option for international matches. Lichaj should start. Gonzalez when Brooks can't go. Not sure why Arena didn't bring in Matt Miazga. Or even look at Cameron Carter-Vickers. Klinsmann hated MLS, Arena loves it too much. We're better than Honduras, but winning down there is tough, and they put it in the afternoon, and we wilted in the afternoon in 2013.
I think he went with guys that have been there knowing the importance of the game. I like Lichaj as well. I know Besler has not been in form, but he is better than Ream. Besides being slow, Ream was not able to link with the midfielders. I would take out Villafana and Ream and replace with Lichaj and Besler or Gonzalez.

We need to develop our next goalkeeper now. Tim Howard has been incredible but he isn't the same player. He is a step slow off his line.

Altidore is out for Honduras game with card accumulation. I'd start Dempsey. He can't go 90 in the heat but maybe he gets an early goal. Bring in Morris when Dempsey runs out of gas.

Fabian Johnson was awful against Costa Rica. There was so much space on that side of the field. I'm not a huge Bedoya fan but I would start him against Honduras.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I know the GC wasn't the same competition, and I'm not a Bedoya fan, but Bedoya was the best player when he was on the field in the GC. I'm upset he didn't call in Danny Williams.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

If the US finishes 4th (currently in 3rd on GD over Honduras) we'd have to play the winner of Australia-Syria in a home and away playoff. Australia was relegated to the Asian playoff after Saudi Arabia beat Japan. Saudi Arabia and Japan have directly qualified already, as has South Korea and Iran from Asia. Russia (host), Belgium, Brazil, and Mexico.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

FW wrote:If the US finishes 4th (currently in 3rd on GD over Honduras) we'd have to play the winner of Australia-Syria in a home and away playoff. Australia was relegated to the Asian playoff after Saudi Arabia beat Japan. Saudi Arabia and Japan have directly qualified already, as has South Korea and Iran from Asia. Russia (host), Belgium, Brazil, and Mexico.
We want no part of a playoff. We are better than Australia but they aren't bad. I assume Syria games are being played at a neutral site.

Bear Honduras and Panama and we will be 3rd. Even a tie isn't terrible tonight. Just do not lose.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

It's amazing, once Wood and Cameron came on, the game changed. Bruce loves MLS guys like Jurgen hated them. There has to be a middle ground. Zuis can play in traffic. He was and has been bad. Gonzalez, who I like whiffed on the goal, and Beasley, who I love and own a jersey, is just too old. His game is speed and pace, and he was clearly not fast enough.

Here is where we stand with 2 matches left

1. Mexico 5-0-3, 18 points, +8
2. Costa Rica, 4-1-3, 15 points, +7
3. Panama, 2-2-4, 10 points, +2
-------------------------------------------
4. USA, 2-3-3, 9 points, +1
-------------------------------------------
5. Honduras, 2-3-3, 9 points, -7
6. Trinidad, 1-0-7, 3 points, -11

Oct. 6
Panama at USA (Orlando)
Honduras at Costa Rica
Trinidad at Mexico

Oct. 10
USA at Trinidad
Costa Rica at Pamama
Mexico at Honduras

On paper we have the easiest road. We get Panama at home. Panama's other game is at home against Costa Rica, but the Ticos might be qualified by that point. Honduras has Costa Rica on the road and Mexico at home. Mexico is already qualified. We win both and we finish 3rd. We don't win both and we're scoreboard watching. The big advantage we have over Honduras is GD. They're at -7, largely due to us beating them 6-0. It'll be really tough, probably impossible for them to make that up. As it stands now, we have an 8 goal advantage over them.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

I'm almost to the point of saying we don't deserve to go. We still should and will most likely, but we look bad. If something doesn't change we may not win a game in group play
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Beasley has been great for US soccer but there is just nothing left in the tank. Dempsey is a 45 minute per game guy at this point.

I think we will qualify but we are not playing well at all.

We desperately need Brooks and Yedlin back. Besler was good last night.

Arena has become Klinnsman-esque with his substitution patterns.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

windywave wrote:I'm almost to the point of saying we don't deserve to go. We still should and will most likely, but we look bad. If something doesn't change we may not win a game in group play
It doesn't matter. In 2014 Mexico was G-d awful. They were 2-3-5, could't win at home, fired a coach, needed the US to rescue them with a "B" squad scoring 2 late goals in a meaningless game for us down in Panama to just put Mexico in the playoff with New Zealand to get to the WC. The US doubled Mexico's points in qualification in 2014. Mexico then went 2-0-1 in a group with hosts Brazil, Croatia and Cameron. Beating Cameron 1-0, Croatia 3-1 and tying the hosts 0-0. They then outplayed Holland in the Round of 16 but lost 2-1 on a late goal.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

FW wrote:
windywave wrote:I'm almost to the point of saying we don't deserve to go. We still should and will most likely, but we look bad. If something doesn't change we may not win a game in group play
It doesn't matter. In 2014 Mexico was G-d awful. They were 2-3-5, could't win at home, fired a coach, needed the US to rescue them with a "B" squad scoring 2 late goals in a meaningless game for us down in Panama to just put Mexico in the playoff with New Zealand to get to the WC. The US doubled Mexico's points in qualification in 2014. Mexico then went 2-0-1 in a group with hosts Brazil, Croatia and Cameron. Beating Cameron 1-0, Croatia 3-1 and tying the hosts 0-0. They then outplayed Holland in the Round of 16 but lost 2-1 on a late goal.

I still can't believe we didn't throw that match.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

MattK wrote:
FW wrote:

I still can't believe we didn't throw that match.
Zusi just wanted free Tecate for the rest of his life
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Liverpool
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:Liverpool
Damn girlfriend
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

US U 20 and Sporting Kansas City CB Erik Palmer-Brown was signed by Man City. He's 20 and has only played 16 first team games for KC since they signed him at 16. He was on loan to Porto in Portugal and started for their B side in 2016 and then on loan to a USL club last year. It's an interesting move because, while he's talented, and he will get paid, and will train with Pep, he likely won't see any first team action, and will be loaned away. He's a good defender, and made the all U-20 WC team, but still an interesting decision to go a club like City.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Jordan Morris is out the rest of the MLS season with a hamstring injury and will miss the US' final 2 qualifiers against Panama and Trinidad. If Wondo is called in as the 4th forward, I will murder Arena in his sleep.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Well, two good things about Wondo:

1. he won't do any harm if he doesn't get on the field (stay healthy, Bobby and Jozy);
2. okay, one positive thing was all I could think of.

I'm amazed this team is scoring any goals with the horrific lack of coordination in the midfield.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Morris started the second game because Jozy was suspended
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Panama has released its roster for the last WCQ, including one vs the US. Jamie Penedo is on there. He might be as old as Beasley. Same with Blas Perez. Gabriel Torres, Armando Cooper. They've got a full squad it seems. This is the most MLS representation from a Panama squad I can remember.

GOALKEEPERS (2): José Calderón (Marathón/HON), Jaime Penedo (Dynamo Bucharest/ROM)

DEFENDERS (8): Felipe Baloy (Municipal/GUA), Érick Davis (Dunajská Streda/SVK), Fidel Escobar (New York Red Bulls/USA), Adolfo Machado (Houston Dynamo/USA), Michael Murillo (New York Red Bulls/USA), Luis Ovalle (Deportes Tolima/COL), Román Torres (Seattle Sounders FC), Jan Carlos Vargas (Tauro)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Édgar Bárcenas (Tapachula/MEX), Ricardo Buitrago (Juan Aurich/PER), Armando Cooper (Toronto FC/CAN), Aníbal Godoy (San Jose Earthquakes/USA), Gabriel Gòmez (Atlético Bucaramanga/COL), José González (Árabe Unido), Alberto Quintero (Universitario/PER)

FORWARDS (5): Abdiel Arroyo (Danubio/URU), Roberto Nurse (Zacatecas), Blas Pérez (Municipal/GUA), Luis Tejada (Universitario/PER), Gabriel Torres (Lausanna-Sport/SUI)
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Roster for last two WCQ. Fabian Johnson not included due to his poor play. Still surprised he was omitted.

GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Michael Orozco (Club Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Paul Arriola (D.C. United), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (Hamburg)
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Conservative selections. Add that to arena's dull approach to the game and the lack of coordination on this team, and it looks like a long shot to get 6 points from this round. Ugh.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

We should be able to get 6 with those, but we really only need 4, especially if we beat Panama on Friday on Orlando.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

So, um, Argentina is in a little spot of trouble. Drawing with Peru in Buenos Aires last night. They're currently in 6th (4 qualify directly and the 5th goes to play New Zealand in the playoff). One match left. Peru is in 5th. Weird WC cycle.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:So, um, Argentina is in a little spot of trouble. Drawing with Peru in Buenos Aires last night. They're currently in 6th (4 qualify directly and the 5th goes to play New Zealand in the playoff). One match left. Peru is in 5th. Weird WC cycle.
That would make for some interesting happenings.
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Won again without Bale. Almost there.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We goin' to the World Cup y'all. The Pulisic kid is ok I guess.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:Image
Won again without Bale. Almost there.
I'll be rooting for the Republic
#cousins don't count