Checklist and thoughts

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Coach Level

Checklist and thoughts

Unread post by 1401973 »

All the below boxes checked
1. Storm came thru w no major damage to local area
2. We came out hyped, prepared and fast. punched them in the tooth (thanks Michael Scott) and they wilted
3. We got the TE involved and he made an impact. Another weapon teams will have to scheme for.
4. No major injuries
5. OL dominant. Continuing progress.
6. Enough errors to allow the coaches to keep on their arse. WF said so in post game press conference.
7. Played a lot of players - helps at building depth.
8. Saw about 20 or so players from the '70 team. Wish i would seen some film from the year on the scoreboard - probably getting a Green Wave celebratory beer at the time.

My son came to the game with me. First game for him this year. He was impressed with Banks, the team speed and how physical we have become (Like the outstanding downfield blocking by our WRs).

We actually could have scored 100 points on them. For just a split second it was eerily similar to the feeling i had at the USL game in 1998.

Total buy-in by this team to the WF system. Did you hear Hilliard and Wilson's comments post game? They could have played the game in the eye of Nate at 3 am in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. We were going to slap the s h I t out of somebody yesterday.

Buy-in combined with competency are a powerful and dangerous combination. Watch out.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Re: Checklist and thoughts

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

1401973 wrote:All the below boxes checked
2. We came out hyped, prepared and fast. punched them in the tooth (thanks Michael Scott) and they wilted
3. We got the TE involved and he made an impact. Another weapon teams will have to scheme for.
4. No major injuries
6. Enough errors to allow the coaches to keep on their arse. WF said so in post game press conference.
8. Saw about 20 or so players from the '70 team. Wish i would seen some film from the year on the scoreboard - probably getting a Green Wave celebratory beer at the time.

My son came to the game with me. First game for him this year. He was impressed with Banks, the team speed and how physical we have become (Like the outstanding downfield blocking by our WRs).

We actually could have scored 100 points on them. For just a split second it was eerily similar to the feeling i had at the USL game in 1998.

Total buy-in by this team to the WF system. Did you hear Hilliard and Wilson's comments post game? They could have played the game in the eye of Nate at 3 am in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. We were going to slap the s h I t out of somebody yesterday.

Buy-in combined with competency are a powerful and dangerous combination. Watch out.
+1

I only worry about our pass defense. We got picked apart and we weren't fast enough.
abbeville greenie
Crest Level

Unread post by abbeville greenie »

What a way to help commemorate the 1970 team - great win. Maybe the secondary could channel some Bullard's Bandits from that team. And besides Joe Bullard, does anyone know the names of the other ones?
Louisiana born and Tulane proud
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

1401973 wrote:
I was thinking of 1997 Louisville. A once formidable team that wasn't very good this year. They scored a few points but they had no answer for our offense.
Victory is never permanent
maddog
President's Circle

Unread post by maddog »

David Hebert and Paul Ellis joined Joe Bullard to form Bullard's Bandits.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

What we were looking at was a Willie Fritz offense totally in sync. Playmaker at QB; a stable of quality of RBs; an OL that played to scheme and dominated the LOS; WRs who could block downfield; and a decent deep threat to keep the secondary honest. We always won't dominate the LOS like we did Saturday, and lack another strong WR, but all of the other things are in place. Feels like 1997 all over again.

Now let's see if the team can keep their intensity. We need to dominate FIU like we did Tulsa. After we focus on that game, then comes our true test--USF. That game will tell us how close we are to becoming the program we want to be. We had an off week to prepare for Tulsa; we won't have that luxury for USF, or Memphis after that.

Keep Banks healthy and let him make plays in space. That's our recipe for success right now. That and the DC and DB coach need to get to work and fast.
Plan your work, work your plan.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Rotorooter wrote: We had an off week to prepare for Tulsa; we won't have that luxury for USF, or Memphis after that.
We will have a short week for Memphis. Whereas Memphis will have 8 days to prep for us.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

DrHullabaloo wrote:
4. No major injuries

+1

I only worry about our pass defense. We got picked apart and we weren't fast enough.
While we definitely need more speed in the secondary, after rewatching the game today, I noticed most of those big plays yesterday were mental lapses, some of which were by the true freshman. That's good because that part is correctable.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Speed was not a problem in our secondary yesterday. I'm not saying it won't ever be. But it wasn't yesterday.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

My feeling watching the game yesterday, particularly the first half was the same feeling I had watching our opening game at Cincy in 1998. I felt like we were going to score on every possession, and we did. This team is getting better and better. Remember that the defense wasn't all that great in 98, we just outscored everyone.
djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

WaveProf wrote:Speed was not a problem in our secondary yesterday. I'm not saying it won't ever be. But it wasn't yesterday.
You are right. It was us getting caught looking in the backfield and letting their WR run past us. :cry:
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
waverider
Cornerstone

djh wrote:
WaveProf wrote:Speed was not a problem in our secondary yesterday. I'm not saying it won't ever be. But it wasn't yesterday.
You are right. It was us getting caught looking in the backfield and letting their WR run past us. :cry:
Or not covering their receiver at all. On the TD that Nickerson missed the tackle on, the RB/WR went in motion and Parry was motioning for someone to come over to cover him. He tried his best to cover two receivers on that play.
Tulane Greenbackers

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

What amazed me was the just terrific downfield blocking by our WR’s. I haven’t seen blocking that good since the Bowden era.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

I also love our running backs. I was a running back in hs and was taught to "hit the hole" rather than look for a place to run...old school. These guys look for daylight and are strong and quick enough to make the cut in the hole to daylight. Sometimes they even have to wait a beat for the hole to open up or see another one. That is not very easy to do, but Hilliard and Bradwell do it very well. Bade and Huddleston are not quite there yet, but they are getting close. Also, our offense shows you what a good qb can do with Fritz's scheme. Banks is looking more and more like Shaun King and Terrance Jones every game. We may not lose another one.
waverider
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:What amazed me was the just terrific downfield blocking by our WR’s. I haven’t seen blocking that good since the Bowden era.
It's been commented on before, but that has been a big key in a lot if the long TD runs we've had this year.
Tulane Greenbackers

QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

Very proud of these players and the staff.

The Tulsa victory was a great measuring stick for the program.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

4. No major injuries
You called for the use of Charles Jones and you got it.

A real highlight for me came when I was edging toward the exit on the last drive. During that drive we got Miles Strickland in the game and he carried the ball three times and got us a couple of first downs before yielding to human victory cigar Andrew Zuckerman. Watching the starters led by Dontrell Hilliard cheer Strickland on was really heartwarming. And no, there is nothing sweeter to a college football fan than watching that clock-eating drive led by the subs.

The actual victory cigar smoked during the LSU game was pretty good, too.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

as you know my boy and I were hauling booty at the time trying to beat that rain band so I missed the Strickland moment in person. I also heard background sideline noise (sounded like they were cheering) as they were putting the 5th and 6th string backs in. Drat!
The ESPN3 replay had a little of it though and it warmed my heart too. Would have been worth it to get a little wet to see that in person. Double Drat!

Good team chemistry. Good sideline and field leadership. I still don't think we will win more than 2 games this year (not picking on you Prof).
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I got drenched by the one bit of Nate's fury felt in New Orleans. Totally worth it.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Cheerleader wrote:... We may not lose another one.
That's the plan.