The best Football Team in the State?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

The best Football Team in the State?

Post by RI WAVE »

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index

maybe we will get the final rematch scheduled?

then a home and home after we actually make the leap!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: The best Football Team in the State?

Post by PeteRasche »

With dates against Auburn, Ole Miss, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Texas A&M remaining, an 8-4 finish feels like the ceiling for these Tigers.
8-4 Ceiling?? They're 4-2 right now, and with that upcoming schedule, they'll be lucky to finish 6-6.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:
With dates against Auburn, Ole Miss, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Texas A&M remaining, an 8-4 finish feels like the ceiling for these Tigers.
8-4 Ceiling?? They're 4-2 right now, and with that upcoming schedule, they'll be lucky to finish 6-6.
Auburn and Bama are losses but they could win all the others.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
They could, but I've seen no signs that they will. Other than Ole Miss (who is putrid), there isn't another gimme on that schedule.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Arkansas has been bad as has Tennessee so those are in play along with Ole Miss. I see 7-5.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I said 6-6 because I figure they'll choke in one of the "easier" three, either Tennessee (who will put things together at least one random weekend, so why not LSU), or Arkansas (who plays up against LSU due to the "rivalry").
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

The demise of LSU is always of interest in this state but I am particularly interested in Tulane getting better, we have seen a quantum leap so far this year from what we have seen in the recent past. Fritz obviously can assess talent given the freshmen that are playing (who were unknowns) and they will improve dramatically.

We have talent coming back and we need a another improved recruiting year or two and then, we really will be in the conversation. Right now - it seems like Fritz is energizing our Tulane Squad and Ed is not having the same effect on the LSU squad. Give us a couple of years! and we will really be in the conversation!

otherwise - they (LS WHO)could lose all the games for all that I care.
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

RI WAVE wrote:http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index

maybe we will get the final rematch scheduled?

then a home and home after we actually make the leap!
Jeff Duncan better watch his back writing an article like that. :lol:
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Following what RI said, I feel it could be a "perfect storm" for Tulane if we are visibly showing improvement and success at the same time that LSU is looking like a mess. If we continue to look good this year and make a bowl, and LSU does indeed stumble further, this upcoming recruiting season could get interesting, especially with respect to skill players who can really shine in our offense vs. the offensive disaster upriver.

Remember of course that they were a mess in the mid 90s when we went undefeated; had Bowden stuck around and kept winning, I suspect we'd have been able to pull better and better recruits then, possibly beating them out for at least a few per year. But Bowden left. However, unlike then, I think Fritz is sticking around if things really get good.
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Post by tumbuuh »

PeteRasche wrote:Following what RI said, I feel it could be a "perfect storm" for Tulane if we are visibly showing improvement and success at the same time that LSU is looking like a mess. If we continue to look good this year and make a bowl, and LSU does indeed stumble further, this upcoming recruiting season could get interesting, especially with respect to skill players who can really shine in our offense vs. the offensive disaster upriver.

Remember of course that they were a mess in the mid 90s when we went undefeated; had Bowden stuck around and kept winning, I suspect we'd have been able to pull better and better recruits then, possibly beating them out for at least a few per year. But Bowden left. However, unlike then, I think Fritz is sticking around if things really get good.
It continues to annoy me that many of the years in which we haven't played LSU in football are when they fielded sub-par teams :xmad:
We praise thee for thy future, Alma Mater;
The vista of its glory gleameth far.
We shall ever be part of thee, great Mother;
Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

To steal from the best college football coach in history: this article is poison to TU players...rat poison.

Cheap provocation by Duncan.

Focus men.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Duncan’s audience isn’t (and shouldn’t be) the players. Neither is that our audience
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

go ask Saban or WF if this rat poison doesn't get to the players no matter the audience.

This idiotic article prompts my first take on the FIU game: Coaches have a challenge on their hands this week to keep the focus, intensity, chipiness, etc and to avoid any of the meaningless noise that's out there. This is where player leadership is also critical.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

true but the players kept their focus last week even though they were facing an approaching Hurricane, a start time that changed 3(?) times and a "Big Game" the likes of which Tulane teams have been known to fold like cheap chairs (in the past). Given that some article is small potatoes, IMO.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

1401973 wrote:go ask Saban or WF if this rat poison doesn't get to the players no matter the audience.
I'm sure it does. But that shouldn't change Duncan's (or our) behavior one way or the other.

1401973 wrote:This idiotic article prompts my first take on the FIU game: Coaches have a challenge on their hands this week to keep the focus, intensity, chipiness, etc and to avoid any of the meaningless noise that's out there. This is where player leadership is also critical.
this i agree with
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

don't take it from me go watch Nicky's post game tirade. The poison helped distract a team loaded with 50 5 star studs...but no biggie for us?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

PeteRasche wrote:Following what RI said, I feel it could be a "perfect storm" for Tulane if we are visibly showing improvement and success at the same time that LSU is looking like a mess. If we continue to look good this year and make a bowl, and LSU does indeed stumble further, this upcoming recruiting season could get interesting, especially with respect to skill players who can really shine in our offense vs. the offensive disaster upriver.
We currently recruit 2 and 3 levels below LSU. If LSU falters, we won't be the biggest direct beneficiary.
If we can recruit 1-2 levels below where they are now, we'd be set.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

GSx wrote:
We currently recruit 2 and 3 levels below LSU. If LSU falters, we won't be the biggest direct beneficiary.
Doesn't have to be that way and (for periods of time) used to not be that way. Things can change in recruiting in a season or two. The key is to get that breakthrough recruit or two, then build on it, and then build on that. I think partially because the local media has been so quick to dismiss Tulane's chances of building a winner, it has been easier for us to get higher rated players from other areas, but that needs to change and appears to be changing. An obstacle now is this whole P-whatever and G-whatever rubbish. But our conference has shown the ability to get its teams in the big bowls when they win.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I agree. The 4 others are (not sure the order) TX A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Tennessee. It would not surprise me to see them win this week either. But I do hope they talk trash to Alabama while putting new twists on the jet sweep during the bye week.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Wavefan wrote:
GSx wrote:
Doesn't have to be that way and (for periods of time) used to not be that way. Things can change in recruiting in a season or two. The key is to get that breakthrough recruit or two, then build on it, and then build on that. I think partially because the local media has been so quick to dismiss Tulane's chances of building a winner, it has been easier for us to get higher rated players from other areas, but that needs to change and appears to be changing. An obstacle now is this whole P-whatever and G-whatever rubbish. But our conference has shown the ability to get its teams in the big bowls when they win.
Right, and its not about getting 4 and 5 stars but rat her getting the three stars like duke riley, and lindsey scott who are one the fence.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon wrote:
Wavefan wrote:
GSx wrote:
Right, and its not about getting 4 and 5 stars but rat her getting the three stars like duke riley, and lindsey scott who are one the fence.
That's the point... Where we've always been befuddled (yet, as they are teenagers, we can only shrug), when kids choose to sit on the bench at LSU rather than likely starting and possibly being a star at Tulane, if LSU stays down and we continue to rise, sitting on their bench won't look as desirable any more.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Truth is most of those guys have ended up as starters there. It has taken them a while but they reach their goal. However I agree that as we build we'll look more attractive and hopefully they would rather come here and start for 3 or 4 years rather than one at LSU.
We deserve so much better
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

We've gotten 1 recruit that LSU wanted in 20 years; you have to go back to the 80s when we would get a few a year from them. There are many reasons - the P#, the media, our own tolerance for (if not affirmative embracing of) mediocrity after Bowden left, etc.
We need to get them from the Ole Miss', Arizona State, even Kansas, and hold our own against ACC privates in Ga and Fla.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I agree. The 4 others are (not sure the order) TX A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Tennessee. It would not surprise me to see them win this week either. But I do hope they talk trash to Alabama while putting new twists on the jet sweep during the bye week.
In the land of Bama and the 13 dwarves, any of these increasingly mediocre teams could beat any of the others.