Bowl Projections Thread (National Media)

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Bowl Projections Thread (National Media)

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

ESPN.com (10/8/17) - Bonagura: Boca Raton Bowl (Boca Raton, FL): Tulane vs FAU
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tions-2017

ESPN.com (10/8/17) - Hale: Cure Bowl (Orlando, FL): Tulane vs Arkansas St
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... tions-2017

CBSSports.com (10/8/17): Independence Bowl (Shreveport, LA): Tulane vs Duke
https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... redictions

SBNation.com (10/8/17): Cure Bowl (Orlando, FL): Tulane vs Ohio
https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ter-week-6
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Re: Bowl Projections Thread (National Media)

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

The Boca Bowl is supposed to be a MAC team vs either a CUSA team or an AAC team with CUSA/AAC rotating. Last year Memphis played, so technically the slot goes to CUSA but MAC didn't represent last year? It's scheduled for a Tuesday (19th) before Christmas. That would be a really low turnout event imo.

The Cure Bowl is a Saturday, on Dec 16th

Independence Bowl is Weds Dec 27th

Most ESPN projections have consistently slotted us in the Cure Bowl in Orlando, so be prepared to not be surprised.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Lots of football to be played but this sure is a breath of fresh air.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Now that lsu seems to have saved their bowl chances, I’m hoping for the bowl in Birmingham (aac vs bad sec)

Although wavetot’s never seen the mouse, and no plans in the horizon, so the bowl in Orlando might tempt us to make the trip

I’d drive to Shreveport too (cheap)

Not going to Boca or Miami
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Give me 7-5 or better and I'll go anywhere (to me, staying at Atlantis and going to the Bahamas Bowl in December sounds particularly nice).
Plan your work, work your plan.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

So, when we go 10-2, what is the best bowl we can go to?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

10-2, root for Navy to lose twice, San Diego State to lose once, and we will be playing in the conference championship game (likely at yulman) with the chance to go to the peach or fiesta bowl
Last edited by WaveProf on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

That has to be our new goal. Let's do it.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Cheerleader wrote:That has to be our new goal. Let's do it.
If you want a goal that doesn't require running the table AND other help....

The birmingham bowl takes one of the better AAC teams and pits them against one of the worst SEC teams.

We haven't been mentioned for it much yet, but win enough and we might be.

5 hours from home and maybe a certain purple and gold opponent?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

a Tulane-LSU match up has to be the dream of one of the better Minor Bowls out there. Especially one within reasonable driving distance of the Metro area. I've read a match up like that in the Independence Bowl. Of course this all assumes a better than ever expected Tulane season coupled with a disappointing one for LSU.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

That one's not getting mentioned much because no one wants to jinx it.

Way to go, prof. 8) :lol: :green wink:
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

GreenieBacker wrote:a Tulane-LSU match up has to be the dream of one of the better Minor Bowls out there. Especially one within reasonable driving distance of the Metro area. I've read a match up like that in the Independence Bowl. Of course this all assumes a better than ever expected Tulane season coupled with a disappointing one for LSU.
Every Tulane fan's wet dream. However, I really believe that if it came down to the real possibility that it might happen, LSU would throw their weight around and find a way to go to another bowl to avoid the matchup. Of that I have no doubt. But the thought of it is really fun. I'm not sure Wille Fritz and Dannen would be prepared for the spectacle (and animus).
Plan your work, work your plan.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

thee Bowl would get a bump up in attendance, first from all of the Tulane fans that would go and also from the number of LSU fans that might not normally get a chance to see their team play in person.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

I am unfortunately booked that weekend already
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

the Boca Bowl fits best in my schedule being on the 19th and I'll be in FL about an hour south.. Orlando game would be pretty darn tough... 7 to 8 hour drive from Charlotte and I couldn't leave until that morning.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

Any Tulane/LSU bowl game is highly doubtful IMO. Not that I wouldn't love the opportunity to play those guys, especially since that they are pretty much NEVER going to give us the game they owe us and therefore would do anything to avoid playing us, even on a neutral field, especially in a game that they might have even the slightest chance of losing which at this time is pretty much TBD. They do not want to give us anything that might allow us to even think that we are on equal footing. Plus, no matter what their fans tell you, they are afraid to play us because, heaven forbid, they might lose and they know we would have a huge psychological advantage in such a game.

In any case...Roll Wave, to the best record any one of us could have hardly ever imagined on game day 1 of this season!!!!

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

still lovingly remember the MBB game after Joe "The Shoe Salesman" Dean and that buffoon Dale Brown refused to play us again. Unfortunately for them we both made the NIT that year and were matched in Game 1 in B.R. Where we beat them like a drum. I loved watching that team..........
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

I keep telling you guys the Birmingham Bowl is in the real possibility for both. It's SEC vs AAC. It usually fields a 6-6 SEC team and a top 3 AAC team. If LSU loses 4 more the bowl would be an easy trip for LSU fans and I suspect they would want LSU over say Kentucky or South Carolina. Tulane would have to finish strong and win or come in second in the west.

Basically LSU will have to go 6-6 and end up #10 or #11 in conference. 10th they go to Birmingham 11th they go to the Independence Bowl. I would rather play in Birmingham because that would mean we finished in the top 3 in conference.

BTW if LSU finished 6-6 with a loss to Tulane in the bowl...man, the heads would roll.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ClearWaterWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by ClearWaterWave »

Tulane vs any sec team would be a bump for Birmingham Bowl.

My problem is I am on a California swing through the bowl season. But could jump to Hawaii Bowl.

Of course I live in St Pete and will be gone for the Bad Boy Mower Bowl-Worst Bowl name ever! :jerry: :jerry: :jerry:
Last edited by ClearWaterWave on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:I keep telling you guys the Birmingham Bowl is in the real possibility for both. It's SEC vs AAC. It usually fields a 6-6 SEC team and a top 3 AAC team. If LSU loses 4 more the bowl would be an easy trip for LSU fans and I suspect they would want LSU over say Kentucky or South Carolina. Tulane would have to finish strong and win or come in second in the west.

Basically LSU will have to go 6-6 and end up #10 or #11 in conference. 10th they go to Birmingham 11th they go to the Independence Bowl. I would rather play in Birmingham because that would mean we finished in the top 3 in conference.

BTW if LSU finished 6-6 with a loss to Tulane in the bowl...man, the heads would roll.
If LSU is 6-6 and looking like they would match up with us in a bowl, they will announce they aren't accepting a bowl bid.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:BTW if LSU finished 6-6 with a loss to Tulane in the bowl...man, the heads would roll.
If LSU is 6-6 and looking like they would match up with us in a bowl, they will announce they aren't accepting a bowl bid.
Yeah, they can't afford to roll any heads so gerry's solution would probably work for them instead.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:I keep telling you guys the Birmingham Bowl is in the real possibility for both. It's SEC vs AAC. It usually fields a 6-6 SEC team and a top 3 AAC team. If LSU loses 4 more the bowl would be an easy trip for LSU fans and I suspect they would want LSU over say Kentucky or South Carolina. Tulane would have to finish strong and win or come in second in the west.

I think they'd just quietly use backdoor channels to ensure that's not the matchup. Not going to a bowl isn't a great choice for a struggling first year head coach.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

ml wave wrote: I think they'd just quietly use backdoor channels to ensure that's not the matchup. Not going to a bowl isn't a great choice for a struggling first year head coach.
Yep
We'd have to win 9 or so games to get into Birmingham Bowl discussion
WaveProf
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote:10-2, root for Navy to lose twice, San Diego State to lose once, and we will be playing in the conference championship game (likely at yulman) with the chance to go to the peach or fiesta bowl

For our always look on the bright side (no matter how bloody unlikely) moment:

~San Diego State lost (though now they'd need to lose at least twice)
~Navy lost
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

WaveProf wrote:10-2, root for Navy to lose twice, San Diego State to lose once, and we will be playing in the conference championship game (likely at yulman) with the chance to go to the peach or fiesta bowl

If one has to resort to rooting for particular teams to lose in order to boost Tulane's chances for whatever, it only means that we have not taken care of our own business. I don't do that. It doesn't mean I'm not pulling for Tulane. I may pull against a team from time to time, it is only because I have a particular dislike for that team for whatever reason, or a particular like for their opponent that week (which is really simply pulling for one opponent over the other because of preference), not because I want to boost Tulane's chances.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"