FIU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TU23
President's Circle

Re: FIU

Unread post by TU23 »

I suffered through the entire FIU-Middle Tennessee game last night. Here are my uninformed observations:

1) FIU is small on the interior D-Line...like 260, 265 small. We'll have a chance to do some work in the power game.
2) FIU's LBs are fast, but they overplay a lot and are prone to being fooled by misdirection. Part of that is trying to compensate for lack of size, but I'd expect a lot of window dressing in the option game this week.
3) FIU likes to run tempo on offense. This could be a disaster for them if they can't sustain drives. We could see another 40 minute TOP game.
4) FIU's QB is sneaky fast. I don't expect him to run a lot, but when he pulls the ball down, he's certainly capable of making first downs.
5) Their best receiver is 6'1 240. His name is Owens. Big, physical kid who predictably doesn't run real well but is great at using his body. Their number 2 is a transfer who didn't play last year but has had a decent start to the year. Overall, they lack team speed on offense.
6) They have issues on their O-Line. They are undersized at a couple of spots and are too heavy at 2 others. We have to find a way to exploit that.

Overall, this is a team that we match up with very well. Our strengths can really exploit their weaknesses when we have the ball. When they have the ball, I'd assume that they'll take a page from Tulsa's playbook and try to threaten us deep. We should really back off and try to play mostly small nickel with 2 deep safeties and an underneath safety because they shouldn't be able to run on our front 6. If we do play 3 safeties, we need to make sure that our nickel safety never gets matched up with a receiver downfield. We should have 3 corners on the field at all times (and Franklin is not a corner).
This one belongs to the Wave.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

TU23 wrote:I suffered through the entire FIU-Middle Tennessee game last night. Here are my uninformed observations:

1) FIU is small on the interior D-Line...like 260, 265 small. We'll have a chance to do some work in the power game.
2) FIU's LBs are fast, but they overplay a lot and are prone to being fooled by misdirection. Part of that is trying to compensate for lack of size, but I'd expect a lot of window dressing in the option game this week.
3) FIU likes to run tempo on offense. This could be a disaster for them if they can't sustain drives. We could see another 40 minute TOP game.
4) FIU's QB is sneaky fast. I don't expect him to run a lot, but when he pulls the ball down, he's certainly capable of making first downs.
5) Their best receiver is 6'1 240. His name is Owens. Big, physical kid who predictably doesn't run real well but is great at using his body. Their number 2 is a transfer who didn't play last year but has had a decent start to the year. Overall, they lack team speed on offense.
6) They have issues on their O-Line. They are undersized at a couple of spots and are too heavy at 2 others. We have to find a way to exploit that.

Overall, this is a team that we match up with very well. Our strengths can really exploit their weaknesses when we have the ball. When they have the ball, I'd assume that they'll take a page from Tulsa's playbook and try to threaten us deep. We should really back off and try to play mostly small nickel with 2 deep safeties and an underneath safety because they shouldn't be able to run on our front 6. If we do play 3 safeties, we need to make sure that our nickel safety never gets matched up with a receiver downfield. We should have 3 corners on the field at all times (and Franklin is not a corner).
I'm assuming that you think they cannot run. You are advocating playing 3 safeties and 3 CBs on defense, which leaves us 4 DL and 1 LB or 3 DL and 2 LBs (the third safety being a de facto light LB). In other words, either a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5. Interesting.

Offensively, our OL might have another good game. Love to see Charles Jones get free for more passes, especially that short one where he lines up in the backfield and drifts behind the line into the opposite flat. The run flow goes one way, drawing the LBs, while throwing to the other side with an easy throw. A great mis-direction play, which, if you are right, we should fool their LBs with these types of plays.
Plan your work, work your plan.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

What I envision is a 3-2-6 with Franklin in the box as a pseudo 3rd LB. And yes, I don't think they can run on our Defense.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

Nickerson (our shutdown) on 81? Or Lewis who can closer match his size?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

WF has really recruited size, it only took him one year in the AAC for him to realize we lacked size in at least two key positions: DB and WR.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

During the post-game show Graff reported that the game would likely be on ESPN3. I don't see this on ESPN's website or app.

Anyone know anything?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Wavery wrote:During the post-game show Graff reported that the game would likely be on ESPN3. I don't see this on ESPN's website or app.

Anyone know anything?
He was basing that SOLELY on FIU's game this past saturday getting picked up on ESPN3, not that common given their conference's tv contract. I thought he was being hopeful than knowledgeable at the time. As it played out, he was.

That said, its available (online) on CUSA Tv for 6.95
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

Thanks. May have to come in to town and watch at Bruno's.

Definitely more reasonable than Oklahoma game!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Wavery wrote:Thanks. May have to come in to town and watch at Bruno's.

Definitely more reasonable than Oklahoma game!
I think Oklahoma was desperately trying to maximize profit on the one game a year they are allowed to put online, whereas conference USA is desperately trying to get anybody to watch their product that is only not online on rare occasions :mrgreen:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

FIU tailgate has 60+ registered... awesome turnout!

Besides SoFlaWave, who else am I going to run into there? BTW, warning, I am fully prepared to exceed my $45 worth of beer before the game! I will be Ubering to and from the affair and don't have to answer to a wife and child when I return to the house!!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Wavery
Navigator Level

Unread post by Wavery »

Take him seriously.
Big Daddy Like Whiskey.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

Johnny Mac wrote:FIU tailgate has 60+ registered... awesome turnout!

Besides SoFlaWave, who else am I going to run into there? BTW, warning, I am fully prepared to exceed my $45 worth of beer before the game! I will be Ubering to and from the affair and don't have to answer to a wife and child when I return to the house!!
We are traveling to the game. It feels like years since we were road warriors for away games.

We did not "register" for the tailgate, but plan to crash the party. $45 per person (so $90 for Coach Hullabaloo and I) is steep for what usually turns out to be burgers and beer. At least for the Oklahoma game the Dallas alums offered a child/designated driver rate of $20 for those of us who don't drink.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:

We are traveling to the game. It feels like years since we were road warriors for away games.

We did not "register" for the tailgate, but plan to crash the party. $45 per person (so $90 for Coach Hullabaloo and I) is steep for what usually turns out to be burgers and beer. At least for the Oklahoma game the Dallas alums offered a child/designated driver rate of $20 for those of us who don't drink.
Seriously? I'd be pissed if you "crashed" the party I paid to go to. Besides being tacky and forcing others to subsidize you, all you have to do is call and you can get a reduced price ticket for people not drinking.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:

on that note, I saw catering company and you are probably correct about "burgers and beer".. I was hoping they'd have hired a Cuban caterer and we could have had Cubans, black beans and rice, mojo, etc... but you can see my plan of shooting to exceed $45 in beer consumption.. I don't disagree that it's a steep price tag for a 3.5 hour party. But I'm going to make the most of it.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Wavery wrote:Take him seriously.
Big Daddy Like Whiskey.
says the man who vomited like Mt Vesuvius in a limo
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:

on that note, I saw catering company and you are probably correct about "burgers and beer".. I was hoping they'd have hired a Cuban caterer and we could have had Cubans, black beans and rice, mojo, etc... but you can see my plan of shooting to exceed $45 in beer consumption.. I don't disagree that it's a steep price tag for a 3.5 hour party. But I'm going to make the most of it.
*sigh* The price is not only to eat and drink - it's to support the Tulane Athletic Dept. They're trying to make money on these tailgates to basically raise money on installments instead of relying strictly on donations. I agree that they don't have to get chintzy about it, and probably ought to provide food that represents the locality of the game, but the intent is to not only bring together the Tulane community but also make money. If you don't want to support it, fine, but don't complain about the cost of it--it's not about that. The importance of football is to raise money for the school one way or the other and to keep the school at the forefront of people's thoughts.

And by the way, Bottoms Up!
Plan your work, work your plan.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:*sigh* The price is not only to eat and drink - it's to support the Tulane Athletic Dept. They're trying to make money on these tailgates to basically raise money on installments instead of relying strictly on donations. I agree that they don't have to get chintzy about it, and probably ought to provide food that represents the locality of the game, but the intent is to not only bring together the Tulane community but also make money. If you don't want to support it, fine, but don't complain about the cost of it--it's not about that. The importance of football is to raise money for the school one way or the other and to keep the school at the forefront of people's thoughts.

And by the way, Bottoms Up!
I disagree... I think they are just covering their costs... there will be no profit from this. I think they are feeling the goodwill generated will result in donations from the alums. Remember, they have to fly representatives from the school to coordinate and schmooze. Catering is probably $30+ per person (including beer... we ARE talking Miami here and things are a bit pricier there than most places), then you have the tent rental, the cost of flying those Tulane folks to town and putting them up in a hotel for two nights. They may even be losing money on this.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Whether it’s making money or losing money is not the point. It’s the price of supporting our team and one I’ve gladly paid admittedly high fees for a Tulane sponsored tailgate every time I could do so for away games. Heck, it’s fun just being around a bunch of green in a sea of away stadium colors. I usually arrive way early so I can soak up the Green Waveness that is usually in short supply where I live. Then I walk into the stadium and sit with my new Greenie friends.

Nickel and diming is what got us where we are.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

TUPF wrote:Whether it’s making money or losing money is not the point. It’s the price of supporting our team and one I’ve gladly paid admittedly high fees for a Tulane sponsored tailgate every time I could do so for away games. Heck, it’s fun just being around a bunch of green in a sea of away stadium colors. I usually arrive way early so I can soak up the Green Waveness that is usually in short supply where I live. Then I walk into the stadium and sit with my new Greenie friends.

This kid gets it.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:

Isn't $45 of Bud Light like a whole keg?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:Isn't $45 of Bud Light like a whole keg?
Roto or Roller will have to back me up on this, but I think they had better beer than Bud Light at the Wake Forest tailgate.. they served beer in the stadium and in the bar after the game, so I don't have a strong recollection of what beer was available.. I do remember we had really good BBQ though
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:... they had better beer than Bud Light at the Wake Forest tailgate.. they served beer in the stadium and in the bar after the game, so I don't have a strong any recollection of anything after that
FTFY.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

long green wrote:
TUPF wrote:Whether it’s making money or losing money is not the point. It’s the price of supporting our team and one I’ve gladly paid admittedly high fees for a Tulane sponsored tailgate every time I could do so for away games. Heck, it’s fun just being around a bunch of green in a sea of away stadium colors. I usually arrive way early so I can soak up the Green Waveness that is usually in short supply where I live. Then I walk into the stadium and sit with my new Greenie friends.

This kid gets it.
Whatever, I support the program in a whole lot of ways financially and also with my time which I'm not going to enumerate. I'm not paying $45 for food I can't eat or drinks I won't drink. I can still be there. I would rather donate $90 directly than to give it to a caterer.

If they offered a kid/designated driver rate like the Dallas alums did at OU I would pay. We have paid the exorbitant tailgating fees for years. We didn't miss an away game until 2 seasons ago. Most of the Football parents and even the coaches own families don't make the Tulane away tailgates and do their own gigs. The parents I've spoken to, the fee that Tulane charges for attending are a big deterrent for joining the tailgate, as every game adds up especially when you start adding up kids and additional family members and multiply that by # of away games. And that's a shame, Tulane should offer more reasonable packages.

The costs cover the event, they don't make money off of these. Usually it's a loss leader for the University.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

long green wrote:

This kid gets it.
Thanks for calling me a kid. Especially after officiating a HS football game, my body still wishes I were a kid. :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium