LSU frat hazing death

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
TUPF
Emerald Circle

LSU frat hazing death

Post by TUPF »

First I had heard of it. Aired just now on NBC Nightly News.

Joins Penn State this year in an ignominious club.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Re: LSU frat hazing death

Post by AO Sig »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/health/ls ... index.html

Here is a link to one article about the topic.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Wasn't there an earlier frat death at lsu this fall ?? This ain't good.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

AO Sig wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/health/ls ... index.html

Holy cr@p, a blood alcohol level of 0.495% at time of death. :shock: That beats what I thought at the time to be almost inconceivable: 0.44% BAL. I was unfortunately the New London Submarine Base Duty Officer one payday Friday when young sailors were known to drink themselves stupid. True to form, the base police picked up an inebriated kid passed out near the barracks and per procedure was taken to the hospital where I ordered blood drawn. When the ER doctor gave me the results he told me the kid would have had to have polished off at least a full fifth of something in a very short period to register that level, and that he was lucky he had not died from it. LSU kid proves that doctor correct.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

sr wrote:Wasn't there an earlier frat death at lsu this fall ?? This ain't good.
This is the same one.

There's also a kid from Mandeville who committed suicide and the one with the alcohol poisoning now allegedly was "targeted" by others who are being charged.
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

they actually had a story on the Charlotte news last night as one of the defendants is from here
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

TUPF wrote:
AO Sig wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/health/ls ... index.html

Holy cr@p, a blood alcohol level of 0.495% at time of death. :shock: That beats what I thought at the time to be almost inconceivable: 0.44% BAL. I was unfortunately the New London Submarine Base Duty Officer one payday Friday when young sailors were known to drink themselves stupid. True to form, the base police picked up an inebriated kid passed out near the barracks and per procedure was taken to the hospital where I ordered blood drawn. When the ER doctor gave me the results he told me the kid would have had to have polished off at least a full fifth of something in a very short period to register that level, and that he was lucky he had not died from it. LSU kid proves that doctor correct.
the key is "a very short period." If you employ any deliberation at all in your drinking you'll pass out way, way before .4%. .495% is insane.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Depressing story. These are accountable adults albeit barely legal immature ones. At least the local authorities are seeking timely justice in the matter. "Just say no," may be a cliché but it still works.

Meanwhile lots of us in misspent youth have partaken in diluted 190 proof beverages. However I've never known anyone of any age in any circumstances that drank it straight. So, no, I don't get it even though I'm a very long way from the current generation.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

When I was a resident, I remember being called down to see a chronic alcoholic who was awake and reasonably alert in the ER; the staff there were shocked because his ETOH level was over 0.45. If someone is a heavy drinker for many years, they might actually be able to tolerate such levels; however, in someone who is not a seasoned slcoholic 0.3 is usually enough to knock someone out. This level is almost not able to be reached without a significant concerted effort, since quite often someone will pass out before they can drink that much. This is really deplorable.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

I feel for the kid and especially his family.

Craziest story I ever heard was from a T-P story years ago -- a young man on his 18th birthday went into Nick's bar and proceeded to drink 18 shots of 151 rum. He did not live to see the second day of his 18th year.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

BC Wave wrote:I feel for the kid and especially his family.

Craziest story I ever heard was from a T-P story years ago -- a young man on his 18th birthday went into Nick's bar and proceeded to drink 18 shots of 151 rum. He did not live to see the second day of his 18th year.
But for the grace of God go I. Greeniebacker and others from the mid-70s may remember free tequila night in the Rat. Someone famously put a personal ad in the Hullabaloo wanting Jose Cuervo for assault and battery.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TUPF wrote:

But for the grace of God go I. Greeniebacker and others from the mid-70s may remember free tequila nights in the Rat. Someone famously put a personal ad in the Hullabaloo wanting Jose Cuervo for assault and battery.
Yes and walking through the UC the morning after (before an 8AM class) - bodies were everywhere sleeping it off unable to get back to their dorms.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I remember plenty of wild nights at the Rat and then staggering back to our Dorms...........Heck, we took the Freret Bus down to the Quarter and partied there as well. Going to school at TU back in the everything goes 70's when the drinking age was 18 and bartenders would serve you if you were tall enough to look over the bar was definitely a moment in time.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Craziest story I ever heard was from a T-P story years ago -- a young man on his 18th birthday went into Nick's bar and proceeded to drink 18 shots of 151 rum. He did not live to see the second day of his 18th 19th year.
#nerd
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone