Yikes(UCF Stadium)!

For Discussion of Conference & Conference Teams other than Tulane
long green
Cornerstone

Yikes(UCF Stadium)!

Post by long green »

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classifi ... y,amp.html

Bad publicity for UCF in the middle of a good season. Not every structure will have these issues but let it be a warning to never stop evaluating your physical plant.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Yikes(UCF Stadium)!

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classifi ... y,amp.html

Bad publicity for UCF in the middle of a good season. Not every structure will have these issues but let it be a warning to never stop evaluating your physical plant.
This is my all-time favorite story about rusting stadiums requiring renovation. I simply have to ask if UCF had a similar issue???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... urine.html
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

IIRC, Tulane Stadium wasn't far removed from that.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wow, lightly-treated steel for light duty use in a massive stadium in Florida humidity. Good money-saving choice there! :shock:

I remember when they built it, hearing how they "went cheap" by making it mostly steel (way less concrete) and my first thought was, "in Florida humidity and (salty) marine air?" You could kinda see this coming.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: I remember when they built it, hearing how they "went cheap" by making it mostly steel (way less concrete) and my first thought was, "in Florida humidity and (salty) marine air?" You could kinda see this coming.
I remember reading a similar article about FAU. And I believe FIU did similar.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Do the fans still jump up and down all the time?
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:Wow, lightly-treated steel for light duty use in a massive stadium in Florida humidity. Good money-saving choice there! :shock:

I remember when they built it, hearing how they "went cheap" by making it mostly steel (way less concrete) and my first thought was, "in Florida humidity and (salty) marine air?" You could kinda see this coming.
Wasn't that built just 10 years ago?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

So, is Yulmann built to withstand NO humidity?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Cheerleader wrote:So, is Yulmann built to withstand NO humidity?
No, it's built to withstand LOTS OF humidity.

:lol: (j/k. I knew what you meant)
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

lack of maintenance of the steel doomed old Tulane Stadium. The steel superstructure was built on the original concrete stadium. Naturally Tulane, who had no money back then and was tapping into its endowment to help pay its yearly operating costs............did absolutely no maintenance leading to its being deemed unsafe.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

UCF is my daughter's first choice for college; we toured the campus last summer and I admit I was impressed. What used to be a small engineering college now has over 60K students. Tons of construction going on; the student showing us around joked that the students all said that UCF stands for "under construction forever." I saw the stadium at the far end of the campus. One would think that a stadium built in an area that had three different hurricanes come through in a few months (several years ago three had paths that criss-crossed over Orlando) would be built with the realization that a lot of rain will occur, it will be hot and humid (which increase the rate of oxidation- see, I did learn something in chemistry class).

I agree, the original Tulane stadium was certainly showing a ton of rust before it finally became a memory. Just surprised that UCF did not do as well as they should.

An interesting aspect of the tour- we were in an atrium that enclosed an area between three engineering buildings; on the wall was one of the original cars from Space Mountain. We were told that when WDW was getting ready to open, they did test runs on space mountain with crash dummies, and the cars came back empty. They came to UCF engineers to figure a restraint. The result was the t-bar between the legs that was the basis for restraints for thrill rides around the world.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

UCF? First choice? And you're okay with this?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

She had considered Tulane, but then she looked at the price (she is very fiscally conservative, will not qualify for need-based scholarships (thanks to my Tulane education), Tulane has no "Legacy programs" to her knowledge, and is just below the ACT levels to get meaningful academic scholarships). She wants do do math, music and drama, and there are websites that list UCF programs as fairly high. She also has looked at several California programs, U. of South Carolina, and Middle Tennessee State. She has NO desire to become a Tennessee Vol (to her credit).

Finally, she did not realize, when she started to look at the school that it was in Orlando; she actually sees herself considering "working for the mouse."
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

AO Sig wrote:She had considered Tulane, but then she looked at the price (she is very fiscally conservative, will not qualify for need-based scholarships (thanks to my Tulane education), Tulane has no "Legacy programs" to her knowledge, and is just below the ACT levels to get meaningful academic scholarships). She wants do do math, music and drama, and there are websites that list UCF programs as fairly high. She also has looked at several California programs, U. of South Carolina, and Middle Tennessee State. She has NO desire to become a Tennessee Vol (to her credit).

Finally, she did not realize, when she started to look at the school that it was in Orlando; she actually sees herself considering "working for the mouse."
With the math, music and drama combo interest, I’d have her take at look at Oberlin. I have no skin in the game but I know several alumni who wanted what they thought were mutually exclusive music vs. sciences educations and were very happy there. One of my daughter’s closest friends couldn’t choose between the cello at a high level and the sciences, loved Oberlin undergrad and went on to earn her Ph.D. afterwards at MIT (Woods Hole) in marine biology.

Can’t help you on the House of Mouse.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Thanks, will pass that suggestion on to her.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Turchin looks like it'll rust up and fall over in a year or two :coolshades:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

WaveProf wrote:Turchin looks like it'll rust up and fall over in a year or two :coolshades:
Just about everything in New Orleans looks that way. If it didn't look that way, it wouldn't be at home in New Orleans

I remember when my folks were in for graduation "a few" years ago. My dad, who was at Tulane in the late 40's, used to regale me with stories about his time visitng Nick's on Tulane Avenue. We went back there that weekend; his first visit back there in at least two decades. He looked around at the corrugated cardboard-covered walls, the corner of the building propped up by a few bricks stuck under to keep the roof from falling in, and the dust-covered bottles on the shelves and smiled. As we began sipping our drinks, I asked about what he thought; his only comment was "well, they've remodeled the place!" :mrgreen: