New asst. baseball coach..Eddie Smith. He starts work Monday

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
randymc
President's Circle

New asst. baseball coach..Eddie Smith. He starts work Monday

Post by randymc »

Smith was a player at Notre Dame, asst. coach at University of Virginia and also at Notre Dame; now a junior college head coach in state of Washington. Kendall Rogers of D1 Baseball first reported that Smith will take over from the departing Billy Jones. Now, Coach Eddie Smith has confirmed it...see bottom link.
bio: http://lccreddevils.com/staff.aspx?staff=21

http://tdn.com/sports/lcc-baseball-cham ... ebf25.html
Last edited by randymc on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Meet our likely new asst. baseball coach...Eddie Smith

Post by waverider »

Pretty good resume if so.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Thanks for the scoop. Sounds promising.
We deserve so much better
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

http://tdn.com/sports/lcc-baseball-cham ... ebf25.html

Coach Smith will also act as the Wave's recruiting coordinator/head recruiter on staff.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: New asst. baseball coach..Eddie Smith. He starts work Mo

Post by Baywave1 »

Well until local recruiting relationships and scouting are developed, Jewett is now all in for a national recruiting strategy. May it succeed. Welcome Mr. Smith.

P.S., Pull a Fritz and bring the next Tim Lincecum's with you from Washington state.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:Well until local recruiting relationships and scouting are developed, Jewett is now all in for a national recruiting strategy. May it succeed. Welcome Mr. Smith.

P.S., Pull a Fritz and bring the next Tim Lincecum's with you from Washington state.
Curious as to how this is pulling a Fritz? Have we signed the FB equivalent of Lincecum from GA (that's the best sense I can make of it)?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Well until local recruiting relationships and scouting are developed, Jewett is now all in for a national recruiting strategy. May it succeed. Welcome Mr. Smith.

Curious as to how this is pulling a Fritz? Have we signed the FB equivalent of Lincecum from GA (that's the best sense I can make of it)?
Hey, Eeyore, dwelling in the pit of perpetual Tulane fan misery can't be much fun. Why not take a break from it?

Fritz's first class basically migrated from Georgia Southern with his staff and him. We'll see how they turn out. BTW Lincecum was a 48th round draft choice out of high school. By the time he finished at UDub, he was the 10th player selected. It was all about college development. But then since Tulane beat him in the NCAAs, I don't know what the Giants saw in him to give him a $2 million bonus.

He was decent but no big deal in high school. I don't think you would be excited much if Jewett signed a 48th round baseball pick today.

So I aspire high for Fritz's recruits even if you don't. Being a fan is supposed to be fun. We'll see how well some of this year's sophomore players do. Maybe they'll surprise you too. However I'm quite confident that in April 2020 you will resurrect this message to remind us all about it, if none of them are drafted. Don't worry. If I'm right, I won't because I'll be at Greer watching a Tulane game.

Meanwhile I'm going to root for Jewett that his national signing strategy works and Smith helps the program with or without the next Tim Lincecum from UDub. Finally did you know that Jewett was on the UDub staff when they recruited Lincecum out of high school?
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Hey, Eeyore, dwelling in the pit of perpetual Tulane fan misery can't be much fun. Why not take a break from it?

Fritz's first class basically migrated from Georgia Southern with his staff and him. We'll see how they turn out. BTW Lincecum was a 48th round draft choice out of high school. By the time he finished at UDub, he was the 10th player selected. It was all about college development. But then since Tulane beat him in the NCAAs, I don't know what the Giants saw in him to give him a $2 million bonus.

He was decent but no big deal in high school. I don't think you would be excited much if Jewett signed a 48th round baseball pick today.

So I aspire high for Fritz's recruits even if you don't. Being a fan is supposed to be fun. We'll see how well some of this year's sophomore players do. Maybe they'll surprise you too. However I'm quite confident that in April 2020 you will resurrect this message to remind us all about it, if none of them are drafted. Don't worry. If I'm right, I won't because I'll be at Greer watching a Tulane game.

Meanwhile I'm going to root for Jewett that his national signing strategy works and Smith helps the program with or without the next Tim Lincecum from UDub. Finally did you know that Jewett was on the UDub staff when they recruited Lincecum out of high school?
Geez, not sure why you took such offense to that. Weird. I thought it was a legitimate question.
Fritz has done a great job but thus far I haven't seen any Lincecum equivalent.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Geez, not sure why you took such offense to that. Weird. I thought it was a legitimate question.
I think ML was legitimately asking for clarification. What Baywave was trying to do (in a round about way) was say that Fritz grabbed some of the players committed at his prior school and wants Smith to do the same. He used Lincecum as an example, but then notes that even Lincecum wasn't that highly rated (based on his draft selection) before being coached by Smith (and Jewett).

As for Fritz I would hope he is recruiting players higher rated than Lincecum (assuming he was rated as low as his draft selection indicates).
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

OK, guys. Point noted. I wlll turn off the MLWAVE-dar and stand down.

I'm glad you all noticed that Lincecum's value exploded while he was at Washington not while he was in HS. He basically has the same rough profile of several of the folks WF recruited: solid three star. Let's see what happens with Fritz carryover recruits from GS if any ever match Lincecum's explosive improvement in college. But to steal the overworked phrase, "Some say why. I say why not."

As a local, I wish we still recruited locally. However we're not hiring local/regional coaches so until they are established here they will have to mine their established contacts in this case Lincecum territory in Washington state. Again in effect the same thing that Fritz did.

Yes I happily gave a very successful example of where it worked for a school that coincidentally employed Jewett at the time. Yes, I will confess that I was wistfully and happily putting the best possible spin on how this might work using a specific (admittedly extreme) example from Jewett's own world. (I'm just noting he was at UDub when Lincecum was there. Nothing more.)

Enough of this. I'm sure the detail is boring to most. I'm focused on cheering the Wave tomorrow for $6.95 with TG voiceover with or without synch.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:

I think ML was legitimately asking for clarification. What Baywave was trying to do (in a round about way) was say that Fritz grabbed some of the players committed at his prior school and wants Smith to do the same. He used Lincecum as an example, but then notes that even Lincecum wasn't that highly rated (based on his draft selection) before being coached by Smith (and Jewett).

As for Fritz I would hope he is recruiting players higher rated than Lincecum (assuming he was rated as low as his draft selection indicates).
48th round may not sound like much(especially since they don't even have 48 rounds any more), but take a look at our roster. Off the top of my head, we have only one player that was drafted out of HS. So maybe a late round draft pick is still pretty damn good.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:

48th round may not sound like much(especially since they don't even have 48 rounds any more), but take a look at our roster. Off the top of my head, we have only one player that was drafted out of HS. So maybe a late round draft pick is still pretty damn good.
Yup...I welcome the return of recruiting players good enough to get drafted.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Look no further than members of this current team. Expect some to get drafted... I’m not promising how high (not yet). As long as they stay healthy, should be some drafted this year (2018 draft).

My 2 cents
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

noladave wrote:Look no further than members of this current team. Expect some to get drafted... I’m not promising how high (not yet). As long as they stay healthy, should be some drafted this year (2018 draft).

My 2 cents
Meant drafted out of HS, but that's good as well.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Got ya.

I’m not sure what kind of guys Jewett went after at Vandy - were they highly ranked pro prospects, with the possibility of being drafted, or were they really good players that wanted to develop in college, and get a degree, before going pro.

Will have to look at that, when I have some time.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

noladave wrote:Got ya.

I’m not sure what kind of guys Jewett went after at Vandy - were they highly ranked pro prospects, with the possibility of being drafted, or were they really good players that wanted to develop in college, and get a degree, before going pro.

Will have to look at that, when I have some time.
No research necessary. Starting in 2011 Vandy hasn't had a recruiting class ranked lower than 13th by Perfect game. They routinely have guys turning down large dollars from the MLB to play at Vandy instead.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:

I agree. We haven't been sweating out signing day like we used to.
Tulane Greenbackers