2018 Football Recruiting

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: 2018 Football Recruiting

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

well the Tulsa game should convince any number of high school RB's and dual threat QB's that Tulane can be a pretty nice place to showcase your talents.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Unread post by Donny Z »

djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

Donny Z wrote:Josh Quiett decommits - https://twitter.com/joshquiett1/status/ ... 0532673537
Had a feeling after FIU game that someone was going to do this. SH@T !!!!!!
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Not my reaction. The one area of the commitment list that didn't make much sense was the two tight ends committed. Our top four on the roster are coming back next year. Signing one to build for the future made sense; signing two made less sense. The higher rated of the two is still on the res as of now. I do wish we'd pick up some Louisiana talent but that's a secondary consideration.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ThePig
Riptide Level

Unread post by ThePig »

Assuming that we now have 6 scholarships left, what should we be looking for besides the best football player available? If we need a QB who can step in and play (e.g., Lindsey Scott) and a placekicker, that would leave us with only 4. I'm thinking at least 1 LB (especially if one of our DEs - a la Luke Jackson this year - or a DB can move to LB) or possibly 2 because we are losing two of our top 4 LBS and a third will be a SR next year. We need another CB. I wasn't bothered by getting two tight ends because we have three who are juniors. It seems like the staff wants at least one WR because they seem to be offering a new one every time I turn around, at least according to 247. Depending upon how good our 2017 OLs are besides Dublin, we might want another OL if he can really play. We might want another DT because we lose two to graduation and have one junior (unless we have someone in addition to Williams who'll be playing there next year).
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

djh wrote:
Donny Z wrote:Josh Quiett decommits - https://twitter.com/joshquiett1/status/ ... 0532673537
Had a feeling after FIU game that someone was going to do this. SH@T !!!!!!
Doubt his decision had anything to do with FIU game. Kids generally aren't making their decisions like that...did we suddenly get a rash of commits because we beat Tulsa?
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

ThePig wrote:Assuming that we now have 6 scholarships left, what should we be looking for besides the best football player available? If we need a QB who can step in and play (e.g., Lindsey Scott) and a placekicker, that would leave us with only 4. I'm thinking at least 1 LB (especially if one of our DEs - a la Luke Jackson this year - or a DB can move to LB) or possibly 2 because we are losing two of our top 4 LBS and a third will be a SR next year. We need another CB. I wasn't bothered by getting two tight ends because we have three who are juniors. It seems like the staff wants at least one WR because they seem to be offering a new one every time I turn around, at least according to 247. Depending upon how good our 2017 OLs are besides Dublin, we might want another OL if he can really play. We might want another DT because we lose two to graduation and have one junior (unless we have someone in addition to Williams who'll be playing there next year).
I have trouble imagining a situation in which we would ever pass up a big, LOS-disrupter DT (and I hope we can find another one this cycle).

QB, but picky on the skill set. McClain-level or better, else maybe pass on that this year. We don't need more guys who aren't improving the overall ability at that position.

A big CB who can jam in man coverage.

Two LB's at least. I'd like three, really: two big-body guys to play inside and on special teams and a rangy guy who can play outside.

An OL with quick feet and good balance.

(Yes, it's quite a wish list.)
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

more big body guys at WR who have decent speed but better yet know how to use their body to catch a ball in traffic.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Wandering Quaker wrote:
ThePig wrote:Assuming that we now have 6 scholarships left, what should we be looking for besides the best football player available? If we need a QB who can step in and play (e.g., Lindsey Scott) and a placekicker, that would leave us with only 4. I'm thinking at least 1 LB (especially if one of our DEs - a la Luke Jackson this year - or a DB can move to LB) or possibly 2 because we are losing two of our top 4 LBS and a third will be a SR next year. We need another CB. I wasn't bothered by getting two tight ends because we have three who are juniors. It seems like the staff wants at least one WR because they seem to be offering a new one every time I turn around, at least according to 247. Depending upon how good our 2017 OLs are besides Dublin, we might want another OL if he can really play. We might want another DT because we lose two to graduation and have one junior (unless we have someone in addition to Williams who'll be playing there next year).
I have trouble imagining a situation in which we would ever pass up a big, LOS-disrupter DT (and I hope we can find another one this cycle).

QB, but picky on the skill set. McClain-level or better, else maybe pass on that this year. We don't need more guys who aren't improving the overall ability at that position.

A big CB who can jam in man coverage.

Two LB's at least. I'd like three, really: two big-body guys to play inside and on special teams and a rangy guy who can play outside.

An OL with quick feet and good balance.

(Yes, it's quite a wish list.)
We already have a pretty good QB committed so no need to take two, unless Scott is in the mix.
I'd like 2-3 grad transfers on the OL plus 2-3 more freshmen (if the space is available).
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:more big body guys at WR who have decent speed but better yet know how to use their body to catch a ball in traffic.
Just get me 2 or 3 that can catch the ball consistently.
Tulane Greenbackers

windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

DBs that don't make me stroke out
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

windywave wrote:
DBs that don't make me stroke out
I agree with Windy on this one. Bring in 8 DBs to get four good ones, and at least two stud safeties who can cover deep. The rest of the class can go to OL as far as I'm concerned, and we can go to the Midwest to get them (a sop to Windy). Or Timbuktu. Just get them.
Plan your work, work your plan.
waverider
Cornerstone

We know one (of our remaining spots)is a RB. Similar Bakare from Rd Rock, TX
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50120
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Alabama DE Charlie Ryan announced his decommitment today.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Rummel WR Jamar Chase has decommitted from Florida because of the coaching change. My guess is he ends up in BR.
Tulane Greenbackers

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

thought the same thing wr.
waverider
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:thought the same thing wr.
Didn't know this but he is out for the remainder of the playoffs after suffering a torn PCL and two bruised patella bones. That may change things recruiting-wise.
Tulane Greenbackers

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

well, if the injury scares off the "Big Programs" that may open a door for Tulane. Know you're thinking the sane thing wr.
long green
Cornerstone

The early signing date for football is exactly one month from today. It should be fun and nerve-wracking all at once.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Three weeks until the first signing period. Tonight WF visited De La Salle's Lance Robinson in his home.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

long green wrote:Three weeks until the first signing period. Tonight WF visited De La Salle's Lance Robinson in his home.
Yes he was - but his pic with CWF has been deleted from Twitter.
Last edited by sr on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

long green wrote:Three weeks until the first signing period. Tonight WF visited De La Salle's Lance Robinson in his home.
WF just keeps working !! Great to have him at Tulane.
long green
Cornerstone

In home visits continue, including one to GA DT Lichon Terrell, mentioned in another thread by TU23. Coach Atkins on the job here.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Was just looking at Twitter and noticed the Tulane football coaches are making home visits all over the countryside. Keep in going.