Saints 2017

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Saints 2017

Post by long green »

Good God.

Folks' gardens are gonna be looking great next year from all the extra attention they'll get this fall.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
MattK
President's Circle

Re: Saints 2017

Post by MattK »

Devante Harris looks like Jason David. Brady will throw at him on every play.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

MattK wrote:Devante Harris looks like Jason David. Brady will throw at him on every play.
And with all the talk about the good, young DB talent, I barely remember his name being mentioned all summer, and yet he plays most snaps. Breaux and Crawley being out hurt I guess.
Bring home da Wave!
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

doncecco wrote:
MattK wrote:Devante Harris looks like Jason David. Brady will throw at him on every play.
And with all the talk about the good, young DB talent, I barely remember his name being mentioned all summer, and yet he plays most snaps. Breaux and Crawley being out hurt I guess.
Problem is that most of the 'good, young DB talent' we were hearing about are the same guys that got torched last season.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

MattK wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Problem is that most of the 'good, young DB talent' we were hearing about are the same guys that got torched last season.
Not really. Crawley and Moore are the only ones returning at Corner, and they were the better ones last year. PJ Williams played 5 quarters, Lattimore and Harris are new.

I don't know why Moore didn't play over Harris - he was unspectacular, but solid most of last year after Williams went down.
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doncecco wrote:
MattK wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Not really. Crawley and Moore are the only ones returning at Corner, and they were the better ones last year. PJ Williams played 5 quarters, Lattimore and Harris are new.

I don't know why Moore didn't play over Harris - he was unspectacular, but solid most of last year after Williams went down.
Was Moore inactive? No way should Harris been on the field before Moore
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

All I can say is that it looked worse in person. My goodness, Bradford would be MVP if he played the Saints every week.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Saints, who are looking like a passable football team these days and not a flaming Port O Let, trade Adrian Peterson for a conditional draft pick. Thank God that's over with.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

long green wrote:Saints, who are looking like a passable football team these days and not a flaming Port O Let, trade Adrian Peterson for a conditional draft pick. Thank God that's over with.
Basically, they paid cash for a draft pick, so that works out well. Peterson looked pretty terrible and was utterly not needed here.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GretnaGrn wrote:
long green wrote:Saints, who are looking like a passable football team these days and not a flaming Port O Let, trade Adrian Peterson for a conditional draft pick. Thank God that's over with.
Basically, they paid cash for a draft pick, so that works out well. Peterson looked pretty terrible and was utterly not needed here.
when they signed him, they didn't know that... and Kamara basically violently shoved Peterson out the door with his ability... throw in the fact Tim Hightower is on the scrap heap and the Saints can move on from the AP experiment

I will say Loomis is a shiatty dealer, though... the price tag on AP is really low... $525,000 salary left to pay him and no way can he reach the incentives built into that contract unless he goes completely insane in the desert... throw in the desperation of the Cardinals until Johnson is back and that should have been no worse than a 4th rounder
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

no worse than a fourth rounder? Do you know how I know you haven't seen Peterson play this year? He brought the offense to a grinding halt every time he was in there. So they dumped him, and possibly the giant fork sticking out of his back.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:no worse than a fourth rounder? Do you know how I know you haven't seen Peterson play this year? He brought the offense to a grinding halt every time he was in there. So they dumped him, and possibly the giant fork sticking out of his back.
Nobody but the Saints wanted him over the offseason so the draft pick is really the price for Arizona's desperation.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

long green wrote:no worse than a fourth rounder? Do you know how I know you haven't seen Peterson play this year? He brought the offense to a grinding halt every time he was in there. So they dumped him, and possibly the giant fork sticking out of his back.
have you seen Arizona's offense this year since Johnson went down? Adrian Peterson of last December would be a Godsend to them

I've seen Peterson's every carry this year
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... 6729007338

Nice article on Saints defensive turnaround from Wash Post.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Shout out for Brees from ESPN. At least to me, the (relative) stats are eye-opening.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2107 ... l-2017-nfl
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... ceb23e041b

Wash post article on Kamara. Bandwagon is filling up.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Baywave1 wrote:Shout out for Brees from ESPN. At least to me, the (relative) stats are eye-opening.

It had to kill Bill Barnwell to write this. The way the Saints go about their business bothers him and he has held them up as a how not-to manual more times than I can count (he's had a point, too). But "Brees has never been the best QB in football"? If he wasn't in 2011 no one was.

The problem with the Saints is the thin-ness of their receiver corps. Compared to their best teams they're a good to very good pass catcher short. Injuries could easily de-rail the offense.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

MNAlum wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... ceb23e041b

Wash post article on Kamara. Bandwagon is filling up.
That's what happens when Rodgers goes down and they need a QB to talk about.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

long green wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:Shout out for Brees from ESPN. At least to me, the (relative) stats are eye-opening.

It had to kill Bill Barnwell to write this. The way the Saints go about their business bothers him and he has held them up as a how not-to manual more times than I can count (he's had a point, too). But "Brees has never been the best QB in football"? If he wasn't in 2011 no one was.

The problem with the Saints is the thin-ness of their receiver corps. Compared to their best teams they're a good to very good pass catcher short. Injuries could easily de-rail the offense.
Receivers have become RBs. Plug and play. Cooks gone - no real impact. Thomas is a beast, Snead is Lance Moore 2.0, Coleman is good enough for an occasional big catch. And you know have possibly the 2 best receiving RBs in football (or in Kamara's case, will be).

If Fleener could ever be consistent and not play hide and seek, these weapons are as strong as any year except maybe 2011 (Colston, Sproles, Thomas, Moore and Graham may be the most talented offensive group outside of maybe the Steelers or Niners SB teams).
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doncecco wrote:If Fleener could ever be consistent and not play hide and seek, these weapons are as strong as any year except maybe 2011 (Colston, Sproles, Thomas, Moore and Graham may be the most talented offensive group outside of maybe the Steelers or Niners SB teams).
that was an explosive unit.. remember the last quarter of the playoff loss to the 49ers? Saints would have won the Super Bowl that year if Roman Harper had just played his position on that final SF drive.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Johnny Mac wrote:
doncecco wrote:If Fleener could ever be consistent and not play hide and seek, these weapons are as strong as any year except maybe 2011 (Colston, Sproles, Thomas, Moore and Graham may be the most talented offensive group outside of maybe the Steelers or Niners SB teams).
that was an explosive unit.. remember the last quarter of the playoff loss to the 49ers? Saints would have won the Super Bowl that year if Roman Harper had just played his position on that final SF drive.
Or Scott Shanle.
Bring home da Wave!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doncecco wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Or Scott Shanle.
Just needed not to blitz on that drive. 9ers couldn't get out of their own way and clock was going to run out unless we gave them a big play...
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

doncecco wrote:
long green wrote:

Receivers have become RBs. Plug and play. Cooks gone - no real impact. Thomas is a beast, Snead is Lance Moore 2.0, Coleman is good enough for an occasional big catch. And you know have possibly the 2 best receiving RBs in football (or in Kamara's case, will be).

If Fleener could ever be consistent and not play hide and seek, these weapons are as strong as any year except maybe 2011 (Colston, Sproles, Thomas, Moore and Graham may be the most talented offensive group outside of maybe the Steelers or Niners SB teams).
Receivers are mere plug and pay BUT Thomas in a beast and Snead is Lance Moore. Okay....

You missed my point anyway. I implied that the Saints can get by with what they have right now. But you and I and everyone knows that if Thomas goes down this offense will be severely limited.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:
doncecco wrote:
long green wrote:

Receivers are mere plug and pay BUT Thomas in a beast and Snead is Lance Moore. Okay....

You missed my point anyway. I implied that the Saints can get by with what they have right now. But you and I and everyone knows that if Thomas goes down this offense will be severely limited.
Offense has been limited vs. Vikings, Dolphins, and Pats to a degree even with Thomas. That's 3/5 of the season...I think it's safe to say it's not 2011 anymore. Maybe even not 2006-16...but we can win with B+ offense if defense improves from F to C+ish.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:
doncecco wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
Or Scott Shanle.
Just needed not to blitz on that drive. 9ers couldn't get out of their own way and clock was going to run out unless we gave them a big play...
I believe that was Gregg Williams' final game as a Saints coach.. correct?