Ga Southern fired their Coach

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Ga Southern fired their Coach

Post by DrHullabaloo »

Should we be worried?

We're going to give Troy Dannen an ulcer.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Ga Southern fired their Coach

Post by WaveProf »

No. Why would we be worried?

Georgia Southern's collapse post WF has been a feather in his cap tbh. It shows what a large percentage of their success he was.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

Because their fans are furious about the salary negotiations and they have remorse, and this is a WAY harder turnaround job than I think CWF or TD expected.

Seriously, what hard info does anyone know like what's our buyout situation.

Private school, no foia doesn't help gossipy fans like myself.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

There is zero chance WF leaves for Ga Southern. Zilch times a thousand.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:There is zero chance WF leaves for Ga Southern. Zilch times a thousand.
+1, er, like a thousand.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Should we be worried?

Uh no, it's indicative that WF is the real deal.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Because their fans are furious about the salary negotiations and they have remorse, and this is a WAY harder turnaround job than I think CWF or TD expected.

Ga So is not buying out WF (they can't afford it) and he is not going back there anyway.

Your hysterical nonsense is making me agree with Prof, and he's usually the one spouting hysterical nonsense. That should tell you how hysterically nonsensical you're being.
#cousins don't count
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Come on.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Is this thread for real or do I seriously need to reduce my red wine consumption?
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

I'm thinking he might consider Kansas or Kansas State. Hopefully not !!!!!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Ray wrote:

Those are more likely than GSU. When the post Tulane hiring speech that leaked a couple of weeks ago, the biggest gripe was the instability. Either that speech or the story it was attached to said he got a 6 year deal to come here.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:
Ray wrote:

Those are more likely than GSU. When the post Tulane hiring speech that leaked a couple of weeks ago, the biggest gripe was the instability. Either that speech or the story it was attached to said he got a 6 year deal to come here.
I wouldn't touch KU with a 100 foot poll. They recorded 21 yards of offense last night. I'm pretty sure all-star HS teams could crush them.
#cousins don't count
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:
Ray wrote:

I wouldn't touch KU with a 100 foot poll. They recorded 21 yards of offense last night. I'm pretty sure all-star HS teams could crush them.
KU would be at least a decade long re-build (if ever)
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Post by olivengreen »

Kansas pays their coach less than what Tulane pays. Kansas is a horrible rebuild and a coach looking for stability (i.e. Fritz) wouldn't want that kind of job.
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

olivengreen wrote:Kansas pays their coach less than what Tulane pays.
That astounds me. I guess they are taking all the football TV money and using it to buy good basketball recruits? What else could they be doing with it?

Are they still paying any previous football coaches (Weis)?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I love Dr. H but if we didn't have this discussion about GSU and KU, it would still constantly come up. I think Fritz stays. However if he leaves, it's the next hire that's critical and that's where Tulane has booted it consistently from post-Smith, post-Brown, post-Bowden. It got it right post-O'Boyle and then fired Bennie in the dumbest football decision imaginable but then it was done by same guys that decided to quit SEC.

BSU and TCU have done well because they made spectacular hires in the followup coach. Tulane just has to do the same. Ideally about 15 years from now when WF retires!! :green wink:
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

About that Bennie Ellender firing, please explain more. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 but as a freshman in 1974 all I remember is everyone still gaga over the previous year’s upset of LSU but incredibly boring football to watch. The cheer from the stands was “up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, punt”! Of course the team suffered incredibly bad luck when QB Foley broke his ankle (?) on national TV as we took our 5-0 record to Ga Tech. We never had a winning season while I matriculated. Of course we got good again in 1979 after I graduated and pre-internet, had a hard time following while deployed on my submarine.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I think the general feeling at the time was that the Program was stagnating and not making the kind of progress that we needed to. Also that the Offense that we were running was stale and unimaginative. That's what I recall in any case :-D
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

DrHullabaloo wrote:Because their fans are furious about the salary negotiations and they have remorse, and this is a WAY harder turnaround job than I think CWF or TD expected.

wait, you really are worried that he could go back to Georgia Southern? My God, I going to defend you saying that it was obvious you meant should we be worried that GSU collapsed so quickly, implying that Fritz had built a poor foundation in Statesboro. Nope.

I doubt Fritz' buyout is very steep by normal standards but GSU would probably need to mortgage their entire campus to pay it.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

long green wrote:

wait, you really are worried that he could go back to Georgia Southern? My God, I going to defend you saying that it was obvious you meant should we be worried that GSU collapsed so quickly, implying that Fritz had built a poor foundation in Statesboro. Nope.

I doubt Fritz' buyout is very steep by normal standards but GSU would probably need to mortgage their entire campus to pay it.
BOTH trailers? Wow....
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

I'm going to go the other way on Kansas...if they're in the market for a new coach, we should look hard at hiring Tony Hull.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

ml wave wrote:I'm going to go the other way on Kansas...if they're in the market for a new coach, we should look hard at hiring Tony Hull.
If Beaty still has a job and Hull is still there, see how many of those committed LA players wind up signing there. I'm guessing very few of them will. But you're right; if Beaty is fired we should consider making a run at Hull.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
96Wave
Riptide Level

Post by 96Wave »

One thing I am pretty confident about is that nobody involved in Tulane Football right now thought this would be an easy rebuild. This program has been not good, to be charitable, for decades. Sure we had a good year with CJ and a great year with Bowden, but beyond that Tulane has not been consistently good or even decent for a long, long time. With that you have to include the fact that institutionally we are not set up for a quick turnaround: academics, facilities, etc. etc. And now we are in a conference that has legit good teams. So to expect Fritz to come in and turn this sinking, on fire, oil tanker around in a year and change is unreasonable. He knows what his job is and he needs time to do it. I don’t see him leaving anytime soon.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

96Wave wrote:One thing I am pretty confident about is that nobody involved in Tulane Football right now thought this would be an easy rebuild. This program has been not good, to be charitable, for decades. Sure we had a good year with CJ and a great year with Bowden, but beyond that Tulane has not been consistently good or even decent for a long, long time. With that you have to include the fact that institutionally we are not set up for a quick turnaround: academics, facilities, etc. etc. And now we are in a conference that has legit good teams. So to expect Fritz to come in and turn this sinking, on fire, oil tanker around in a year and change is unreasonable. He knows what his job is and he needs time to do it. I don’t see him leaving anytime soon.
Glad to see that someone else here gets it. Great post, 96.

WF has done nothing to warrant a new job anywhere. The thought of going back to GSU is a joke, why on earth would he leave for a Sun Belt Conference team that would pay him less? Hell, we gave Scelfo 8 years, Toledo 5 (he quit in the middle of the fifth), CJ, who isn't half the coach WF is, 4. Willie will get the time he needs. No one at TU admin is unhappy so far; he's in a great conference and thinks he can win here. He ain't going back to GSU and to think so is just folly. And he isn't going to a dumpster fire like Kansas, either, just to go to a P5 swamp-dweller. If anyone will remember, they fired the only successful coach they've had in 30 years because he was abusive to a player.

Willie Fritz and going anywhere very soon, especially with a 7-11 career record at Tulane. So let's stop with the silliness.
Plan your work, work your plan.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

96Wave wrote:One thing I am pretty confident about is that nobody involved in Tulane Football right now thought this would be an easy rebuild. This program has been not good, to be charitable, for decades. Sure we had a good year with CJ and a great year with Bowden, but beyond that Tulane has not been consistently good or even decent for a long, long time. With that you have to include the fact that institutionally we are not set up for a quick turnaround: academics, facilities, etc. etc. And now we are in a conference that has legit good teams. So to expect Fritz to come in and turn this sinking, on fire, oil tanker around in a year and change is unreasonable. He knows what his job is and he needs time to do it. I don’t see him leaving anytime soon.
+1

He'd leave for the right P5 job (he's moved twice, in part, to play at a higher level), but not if it isn't one he could suceed at. And right now he hasn't done enough to get a job he could succeed at. He isn't stupid enough to take Kansas, and he hasn't been successful enough to get offered Mississippi----and I don't think he'd be stupid enough to take that if offered. Would he jump for even better fish than that? Probably. But he'd have to be so succesful to be eligible for those jobs (esp at his age) that we'd be honored to have him leave.

He isn't going anywhere short term. And isnt going to Georgia Southern, ever.