Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Coaching Carousel 2017-18

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
doncecco wrote:
long green wrote: Does Franklin bolt Happy Valley for a return to the SEC assuming they continue to be a contender?

Why, for God's sake?
Because Northern teams (other than maybe OSU with Meyer) will always be limited compared to SEC/ACC/Big12/USC. Is Penn St really still a marquee program, with or without Sandusky stains? And you've got to believe there are parents who still might tell their kid "Penn St - no way, can't have you go there."

Came from Vandy, Knoxville might be calling....
pink?
No, demographics
Cash money. He has a better chance to be in the playoffs every year at PSU than anywhere in the SEC and the Big 10 fans aren't delusional calling for the coach to be fired weekly
Ok, but that doesn't really address his point of Northern teams being limited talent-wise.
Nice try troll
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
doncecco wrote:
long green wrote: Does Franklin bolt Happy Valley for a return to the SEC assuming they continue to be a contender?

Why, for God's sake?
Because Northern teams (other than maybe OSU with Meyer) will always be limited compared to SEC/ACC/Big12/USC. Is Penn St really still a marquee program, with or without Sandusky stains? And you've got to believe there are parents who still might tell their kid "Penn St - no way, can't have you go there."

Came from Vandy, Knoxville might be calling....
pink?
No, demographics
Cash money. He has a better chance to be in the playoffs every year at PSU than anywhere in the SEC and the Big 10 fans aren't delusional calling for the coach to be fired weekly
Ok, but that doesn't really address his point of Northern teams being limited talent-wise.
Nice try troll
We are the 7th most Southern team in the country. We are wasting our talent or maybe there is something more to it.

Seriously though geography is not an issue if you have the recruiting resources. IE can fly kids up for visits, pay scouting firms etc. Oregon smashed the glass ceiling on the argument of you can't win simply because of your local recruiting grounds and by the way Pennsylvania is a good state for football talent and all they have to compete with in state is Pitt and Temple.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

correct. They're the clear #1 in PA and are probably #2 in Ohio. Plus Franklin is a terrific recruiter who no doubt opens doors for PSU elsewhere. There is an advantage to being where most of the players are but the gap is being overrated in this thread.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

long green wrote:correct. They're the clear #1 in PA and are probably #2 in Ohio. Plus Franklin is a terrific recruiter who no doubt opens doors for PSU elsewhere. There is an advantage to being where most of the players are but the gap is being overrated in this thread.
:!: :!: :!:
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Georgia Southern fired their coach after a season and a half. The drop off between WF and him was stark.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -0-6-start
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:They're the clear #1 in PA and are probably #2 in Ohio.
I have no stats but I would guess that the #2 school in Ohio is Notre Dame. I don't know how actual recruiting shakes out but the Irish certainly are if you go by clothing worn, house decorations, what's on TV in restaurants, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I wouldn't dispute that assessment but undoubtedly PSU gets a good reception in that state. OSU is recruiting at such a high level that for PSU and ND the very good OH players OSU doesn't want have to be easy pickings for them. As I type this I recall the high number of good OH players that do the full heel turn and sign with Michigan.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:I wouldn't dispute that assessment but undoubtedly PSU gets a good reception in that state. OSU is recruiting at such a high level that for PSU and ND the very good OH players OSU doesn't want have to be easy pickings for them. As I type this I recall the high number of good OH players that do the full heel turn and sign with Michigan.
Yes, very true. Those 3 Big 10 schools and Notre Dame are almost certainly the top recruiting schools in the state, at least among the elite players. Cincinnati's Fickell thinks he can cut into that; I'm not holding my breath.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:I wouldn't dispute that assessment but undoubtedly PSU gets a good reception in that state. OSU is recruiting at such a high level that for PSU and ND the very good OH players OSU doesn't want have to be easy pickings for them. As I type this I recall the high number of good OH players that do the full heel turn and sign with Michigan.
Yes, very true. Those 3 Big 10 schools and Notre Dame are almost certainly the top recruiting schools in the state, at least among the elite players. Cincinnati's Fickell thinks he can cut into that; I'm not holding my breath.
I think he will cut into that, even if slightly.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Coach Sharkhumper is fired at Florida.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

It will be interesting to see who they target. What salary level, etc.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:It will be interesting to see who they target. What salary level, etc.
Charlie Strong
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:It will be interesting to see who they target. What salary level, etc.
Charlie Strong
I dunno, he hasn't had to recruit at USF yet, lost his first game against (what the rest of the country considers) a halfway-decent opponent, and he failed at his last big school gig despite having all the resources available that any coach could. I don't think there's enough proof that he's worth the buyout and such.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

I saw Facebook banner about Fleck. I don't think he leaves Minnesota after one year.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
Charlie Strong
I dunno, he hasn't had to recruit at USF yet, lost his first game against (what the rest of the country considers) a halfway-decent opponent, and he failed at his last big school gig despite having all the resources available that any coach could. .
So perfect for them
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

UF's administration is a bunch of scumbags. Trying to weasel put of paying his buyout. That'll help you get a coach. :roll:
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:UF's administration is a bunch of scumbags. Trying to weasel put of paying his buyout. That'll help you get a coach. :roll:
Well, in the sense that it's more money in the athletic department coffers, I'd guess it would. Someone will take their $5MM+/yr.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

They have no chance to get McElwain fired for cause but they got sloppy and lost control of the story. After the search for cause story leaked they had to move. Now they have to hope Oregon State or maybe BYU will take him to lessen their exposure.

As for their search they should go after Dan Mullen and no one else.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Butch Jones out, according to Bruce Feldman, et al. After last night they couldn't put him back on the sideline again, not unlike Bob Toledo after the UTEP game in 2011.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Of all the foregone conclusions, this was the forgoniest.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Going to miss Butch, he was exactly what UT deserved.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I have to admit that I rolled my eyes when I saw a bunch of UT fans walking around with the word "BUTCH" with the Tennessee "T" in the center in East Tennessee. All I could think about was how that t-shirt would go over in San Francisco...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

There were so many good "Butchisms" (Brick-by-Brick, Vol For Life, Champions of Life, ...) a void has been created that will be hard to fill.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

SlidellWave wrote:There were so many good "Butchisms" (Brick-by-Brick, Vol For Life, Champions of Life, ...) a void has been created that will be hard to fill.
Vol For Life has been around longer than Butch. Tennessee players have referred to that since I was a kid. Champions of Life, though...
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Mora done at UCLA
Victory is never permanent