Post by WaveProf »

Friday October 27
Tulane 26 at #24 Memphis 56
Tulsa 34 at SMU 38

Saturday October 28
Houston 28 at #17 South Florida 24
Austin Peay 33 at #18 Central Florida 73
Missouri 52 at UConn 12
Last edited by WaveProf on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Week IX (Schedule, Discussion, Scores)

Post by windywave »

UCONN better frick win.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Lines added
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:Lines added
My score app has Memphis - 11. Did the line move immediately or is this just a case of where you get your lines?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

It could be either. THere is often some variance between lines, especially early in the week. More likely, it moved between when I looked at ESPN and when you looked at (wherever you look)

Rider saw it at 9.5
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Root For SMU. A win makes them bowl eligible. I don’t think they get another win till they play us, and I don’t want them playing us in a make or break game
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

windywave wrote:UCONN better frick win.
I doubt it !! :wink: :wink:
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Tulane line now 10.5
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:Root For SMU. A win makes them bowl eligible. I don’t think they get another win till they play us, and I don’t want them playing us in a make or break game
Does it really matter, if we're also playing a make or break game?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Roller wrote:Does it really matter, if we're also playing a make or break game?
Yes. That would make me want them to already be at 6 wins all the more.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

It matters if you're afraid of the opponent.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

long green wrote:It matters if you're afraid of the opponent.
Agreed
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I’m not afraid of SMU. I’d pick us to beat them either way (unless we spin out in the meantime). But I’d always rather the other team have less to play for rather than more, Be it a team we are an underdog against or heavily favored against.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

WaveProf wrote:I’m not afraid of SMU. I’d pick us to beat them either way (unless we spin out in the meantime). But I’d always rather the other team have less to play for rather than more, Be it a team we are an underdog against or heavily favored against.
I think you're getting better at not flatly saying that you're afraid but you still let things slip.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Think what you want. I think it’s stupid to prefer smu at 5-6 to smu at 6-5
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I would rather SMU be 6-5 as well. Football is a zero sum game. The worse your opponent plays the better chance you have of winning. LG, roller, will you go into Friday's game thinking, "well golly, I sure hope Memphis has been focused all week and is ready to play their best football." Because that is essentially what you are suggesting. Prof appears to simply prefer that SMU not be motivated to play their best game of the year against us.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Poseidon wrote:I would rather SMU be 6-5 as well. Football is a zero sum game. The worse your opponent plays the better chance you have of winning. LG, roller, will you go into Friday's game thinking, "well golly, I sure hope Memphis has been focused all week and is ready to play their best football." Because that is essentially what you are suggesting. Prof appears to simply prefer that SMU not be motivated to play their best game of the year against us.
Quite the opposite. If you go in thinking "I hope my opponent is handicapped," then you're "running scared," and that ain't good.

OTOH, a winning attitude says "whatever the opponent brings, I'm better, and I can handle it. If the opponent makes it easier on me, that's great, but I'm up for victory, regardless."
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

SMU won, and looked bad doing it. I'm feeling even better about that game than I was originally. If I were picking right now I'd take us over Cincy, ECU, and SMU, and I think we have a legit shot (at least 40%) against H-Town. I spent most of this season thinking the Memphis game would be even uglier than it was. Brush it off and let's play the way we are capable the rest of the way......
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Let's hope you had no money on that game unless Midwest over EastCoast.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

sr wrote:
Let's hope you had no money on that game unless Midwest over EastCoast.
No money just don't like Mizzou
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Houston takes down USF
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

I have Memphis at Tulsa on in the background. Did our game with Memphis ever get so bad that the sideline reporter was eating a sandwich telling us how good it is?
Victory is never permanent