#15 for 2018 is RB Simi Bakare

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
waverider
Cornerstone

#15 for 2018 is RB Simi Bakare

Post by waverider »

Fritz Roll Waved out of Round Rock, TX.

Here's his hudl profile. http://www.hudl.com/profile/5275584/simi-bakare
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Re: #15 for 2018 is RB Simi Bakare

Post by long green »

No ratings yet, only a couple of small offers so far. Listed at 6-0 184 or 195 with reported 4.4 speed. Scored 6 Td's in one recent game. Definitely a sleeper at this stage of the game. First name is Simiolu, actually. Hope his game matches his smile.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

He does appear to play in a read option offense so that has to be a plus for Fritz. Perhaps Fritz watched him in person during the bye week.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

This kid plays in my hometown, Round Rock.

I don't know him personally, but there's been a buzz around here about him lately.

He's not ours until he signs, but when he does...we stole one!
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

austxwave wrote:This kid plays in my hometown, Round Rock.

I don't know him personally, but there's been a buzz around here about him lately.

He's not ours until he signs, but when he does...we stole one!
Well, he sure looks good !!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He's also supposed to be a very good student.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

He runs a lot like Dontrell--he reminds me of his style of running. Not the same size, but that may change once he gets on the college "diet."

Now let's get some OL!
Plan your work, work your plan.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Supposedly a good student, plays for a 6A school that made the playoffs last year, he's a willing runner between the tackles, has quick feet, and beats the angles in the open field. I'm trying to figure out why he is not highly recruited. He did well last year but not super great. Enough to be highlighted in season previews this past August but not enough to get offered. Maybe he didn't go to any camps. At the very least we should be fighting off all the SW G5's for him. He reminds me of the very good North Texas RB that I saw in person earlier this year. That guy, Jeffrey Wilson, will be playing on Sundays next year.
Last edited by long green on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Rotorooter wrote:Now let's get some OL!
We've got four committed and no seniors. As for that, I expect one guy to walk on senior day, perhaps one guy to move and function as DL insurance, and maybe something else. Even with that, our top seven or so guys are expected back next year and that doesn't count Claybrook and Jackel. I think we're recruiting a fifth OL and the better he is the better for us but he'll be a HS guy. Fritz and Atkins are recruiting OL's for 2019, not 2018.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:Supposedly a good student, plays for a 6A school that made the playoffs last year, he's a willing runner between the tackles, has quick feet, and beats the angles in the open field. I'm trying to figure out why he is not highly recruited. He did well last year but not super great. Enough to be highlighted in season previews this past August but not enough to get offered. Maybe he didn't go to any camps. At the very least we should be fighting off all the SW G5's for him. He reminds me of the very good North Texas RB that I saw in person earlier this year. That guy, Andrew Wilson, will be playing on Sundays next year.
I do know that WF is laser focused on not recruiting those with off the field issues of any type, be it academic or whatever. (Frankly I don't think he gets enough credit for that.) Otherwise different folks develop at different times. Maybe this is a guy who wasn't very good at 15 and so no one noticed? He simply has improved in the meantime and "caught up" so to speak. We will see. I look forward to welcoming Mr. Bakare to Tulane.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Frankly, Tulane has a great story to tell prospective RBs. That is, we have 3 RBs starting in the NFL today and have had at least two RBs in the NFL since 2003. Not to mention that we run an offense that allows for big yardage to be had in the running game. I would approach any highly-regarded prospect to run the ball for Tulane, anyone, without reservation. Same story for a PK.

Which is why I am vexed as to why we cannot recruit, and land, the nation's top placekicker.
Plan your work, work your plan.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Good pickup. Can never have enough good backs. As LG said, he's a willing runner between the tackles and has some speed, and he will be even better once he gets stronger. He's gotten much bigger and faster over the last 12 months, which could account for the delay in recruiting. The only negative that I see is that he's not adept yet at running through tackles and can go down easy at times, but he should get better at that spending time with Kyle Speer and co. We'll be losing Badie and Hilliard this year and won't know how Amare Jones' ankle will respond to surgery, so he may have to be redshirted. Miles Strickland hasn't been healthy and we'll need at least 4 or 5 RBs throughout the year pending injuries, which means that it will be Dauphine, Bradwell, Huderson, Strickland, Carroll, Bakare and Jones competing for time. That's a real good group.
This one belongs to the Wave.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote:He does appear to play in a read option offense so that has to be a plus for Fritz. Perhaps Fritz watched him in person during the bye week.
I think this would be less important for a RB than any other position on offense?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Rotorooter wrote:
Which is why I am vexed as to why we cannot recruit, and land, the nation's top placekicker.
USF and OU kickers could literally bang kickoffs into the stands and we have a coach that (for understandable reasons) won't attempt a 40 yard FG.

The benched kicker does have a very strong leg. He just doesn't know where it's going. As Harvey Penick said, "The woods are full of long hitters."
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

I just wonder why, with all the teams in Texas, none has seen his talent.
I get it with local players once in a while when our eyes are on them more than any others....
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I've said before that, given that I'm on the outside looking in, I look at the "Stars" and who else offered or showed interest. Both of which this recruit lacks (at this point). And the thing is given the number of RB's that we have playing in the NFL right now and the kind of Offense we run which is RB-centric, that position shouldn't be a reach for us.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Looking at the guy it's tough to figure why he had just two small offers before we offered and added him to the commitmtent list this week. He has a solid frame, legitimate speed in the open field, plays against solid to good HS competition and is supposed to be a good student. Let me ask the skeptics this: would you trade him to get Garland LaFrance back? Just by the hudl eyeball test my answer would be "not on your life."

as far as offers go we've reached twice for running backs. Yet I think they both look good.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GreenieBacker wrote:I've said before that, given that I'm on the outside looking in, I look at the "Stars" and who else offered or showed interest. Both of which this recruit lacks (at this point). And the thing is given the number of RB's that we have playing in the NFL right now and the kind of Offense we run which is RB-centric, that position shouldn't be a reach for us.
So maybe Fritz is not reaching? If it were, they could scoop him up in February as a last second maneuver. Obviously Fritz and staff have evaluated him and as LG intimates think he is better than alternatives. He does look good on tape to this uneducated eye against top classification competition. (This is not like signing a guy out of a West Texas 8 man football league. But hey Rashaan Salaam worked out from California 8 man football.)

I understand the questioning here. Offering Bakare is clearly against the tide of consensus. May Fritz be right.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

lg, no I do not want LaFrance back. He's proven to me to be a bit of a flake with too much "Look At Me! Its All About Me!" to be more trouble than he's worth. I would take unranked/no offer worth mentioning Bakare over him.

Baywave, the: " Obviously Fritz and staff have evaluated him and........" in other words "Trust me" or a variation thereof I've read here/heard from previous Coaches........well, if I had dime for every time I read those words I think I would be a fairly wealthy man by now. And the track record for most of those guys (after Bowden) was dismal.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I think you overdo your critique of LaFrance's character and it really isn't relevant to what I was talking about which was ability as assessed by us amateurs and outsiders.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I have not seen any of our commitments play and a "highlight" tape would tell me nothing. Offers from SFA and Texas A&M Commerce (didn't know they existed) for a RB out of Round Rock will get questioned, as it should. Have to rely on WF's talent evaluation. The good thing about most RB's is they can play other skill positions similar to SS's in baseball.

Regarding talent evaluation to date, how would you grade Coach Fritz so far based on his recruits currently on the roster?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:lg, no I do not want LaFrance back. He's proven to me to be a bit of a flake with too much "Look At Me! Its All About Me!" to be more trouble than he's worth. I would take unranked/no offer worth mentioning Bakare over him.

Baywave, the: " Obviously Fritz and staff have evaluated him and........" in other words "Trust me" or a variation thereof I've read here/heard from previous Coaches........well, if I had dime for every time I read those words I think I would be a fairly wealthy man by now. And the track record for most of those guys (after Bowden) was dismal.
Hey, remember how great it was when Toledo started camps so he could get first person evaluations?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

that was a good thing. Toledo brought in a few things that we needed to do but weren't doing.

Not all processes are equal. This staff started recruiting Juan Monjarres a long while back but Toledo and staff had to find Orleans Darkwa on the fly after our top RB's turned us down.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Hey, remember how great it was when Toledo started camps so he could get first person evaluations?

:lol:

Yeah, it really improved ole Banquet Bob's talent evaluation!* I'm sure opposing coaches trembled when they saw that. When it actually meant that Toledo would never have to go very far from a free meal.

*I understand that the idea itself was good just that distance has little meaning if your talent evaluation skills are suspect.
posse
Head Trainer

Post by posse »

GreenieBacker wrote:Hey, remember how great it was when Toledo started camps so he could get first person evaluations?

:lol:

Yeah, it really improved ole Banquet Bob's talent evaluation!* I'm sure opposing coaches trembled when they saw that. When it actually meant that Toledo would never have to go very far from a free meal.

*I understand that the idea itself was good just that distance has little meaning if your talent evaluation skills are suspect.
Academic restrictions and recruiting budget had a lot to do with Toledo's failure to recruit good talent...I'm not defending him, but there were significant reasons for his failure which had nothing to do with coaching....More so, was Tulane's self imposed standards.