More layoffs at ESPN leaked....

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

More layoffs at ESPN leaked....

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I know least surprising story of the day. But I'm bored waiting for the games tonight. (Go Wave and Stros.)

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sport ... g26kdwl7nd

Money quote:

"ESPN overpaid for NFL and NBA sports rights at the same time it was losing 12 million subscribers due to cord-cutting. Those millions in lost subscriber revenue, while still paying the fixed cost of TV rights deals, are driving the continuing layoffs, according to sources. "

How does this impact AAC in next media deal? All tbd.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: More layoffs at ESPN leaked....

Unread post by long green »

They can cut the AAC's money all they want but the real savings will have to come from deals with big conferences and pro leagues.

This should be moved to the non-Tulane sports board.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

We may have seen the high water mark for these types of payouts. Cord cutting, revolt from non-sports loving consumers that are finding different ways of getting their media without paying for ESPN, changing tastes in sports?...........
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

GreenieBacker wrote:We may have seen the high water mark for these types of payouts. Cord cutting, revolt from non-sports loving consumers that are finding different ways of getting their media without paying for ESPN, changing tastes in sports?...........
I think a plateau is more likely. Though ESPN is losing subscribers, I have seen nothing that suggest College football is losing its audience. Its the other programs on ESPN that should be worried.

Outside of ESPN there is also no sign that people are watching less football. It's anecdotal, but attendance is down because people are choosing to watch as opposed to go. Production cost to televise game shouldn't be getting more expensive as technology advances. I don't think college football is in trouble, just ESPN current model of their sports network.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:They can cut the AAC's money all they want but the real savings will have to come from deals with big conferences and pro leagues.

Since it seems to matter to you, I posted it originally to non-Tulane NEWS board where it still resides. But if you want it so bad on the non-Tulane SPORTS board, you have my permission to move it. You don't need to ask again. Your welcome. :mrgreen:
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Baywave1 wrote:
long green wrote:They can cut the AAC's money all they want but the real savings will have to come from deals with big conferences and pro leagues.

Since it seems to matter to you, I posted it originally to non-Tulane NEWS board where it still resides. But if you want it so bad on the non-Tulane SPORTS board, you have my permission to move it. You don't need to ask again. Your welcome. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: