#15 for 2018 is RB Simi Bakare

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: #15 for 2018 is RB Simi Bakare

Post by GreenieBacker »

I think his nap time had more to do with Toledo's failure to recruit good talent :-)

look recruiting at Tulane is not easy. It takes 24/7 dedication, energy and a great eye for undiscovered talent. We're not UCLA where a number of 4-5 Star athletes will fall in your lap every year.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

posse wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:Hey, remember how great it was when Toledo started camps so he could get first person evaluations?

:lol:

Yeah, it really improved ole Banquet Bob's talent evaluation!* I'm sure opposing coaches trembled when they saw that. When it actually meant that Toledo would never have to go very far from a free meal.

*I understand that the idea itself was good just that distance has little meaning if your talent evaluation skills are suspect.
Academic restrictions and recruiting budget had a lot to do with Toledo's failure to recruit good talent...I'm not defending him, but there were significant reasons for his failure which had nothing to do with coaching....More so, was Tulane's self imposed standards.
All you have to do is look at who is starting on Memphis' DL - Sean Wilson's brother. Here is a young man that is academically eligible to play for one of our conference foes and was not qualified to play for us. How stupid is that - either you are in or you are out?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

long green wrote:Looking at the guy it's tough to figure why he had just two small offers before we offered and added him to the commitmtent list this week. He has a solid frame, legitimate speed in the open field, plays against solid to good HS competition and is supposed to be a good student. Let me ask the skeptics this: would you trade him to get Garland LaFrance back? Just by the hudl eyeball test my answer would be "not on your life."

as far as offers go we've reached twice for running backs. Yet I think they both look good.
I'm not a scout - everyone looks good to me in their highlights in Hudl et al.
It's just hard for me believe that we're right, when so many others closer to the situation don't see it, particularly in a place like Texas, teeming with recruiters from everywhere. And I've this story way too many times before...
Toledo didn't have a top shelf staff.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GreenieBacker wrote:lg, no I do not want LaFrance back. He's proven to me to be a bit of a flake with too much "Look At Me! Its All About Me!" to be more trouble than he's worth. I would take unranked/no offer worth mentioning Bakare over him.

Baywave, the: " Obviously Fritz and staff have evaluated him and........" in other words "Trust me" or a variation thereof I've read here/heard from previous Coaches........well, if I had dime for every time I read those words I think I would be a fairly wealthy man by now. And the track record for most of those guys (after Bowden) was dismal.
GB, I don't disagree with anything you said. However once the boss has invited someone into the house then out of courtesy I welcome him because the boss wanted him there even if it's not obvious to humble us.

As I said in general and others pointed out using the Darkwa example, typical reaches are done at the last moment out of extreme need. I don't see either here so Fritz wanted him even if humble me doesn't get it. I'm for Tulane so I'm obviously hoping he's right even if I wouldn't go to Vegas on it.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Did someone say Darkwa was a reach? He was a 3 star player; probably the highest rated recruit we had that year.
We could see the folly on the field tonight. We need talent.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GSx wrote:Did someone say Darkwa was a reach? He was a 3 star player; probably the highest rated recruit we had that year.
WVU is making a living out of being a destination for 5th year players or transfers (much like Rick Jones did with baseball). Sills, Grier, they have another transfer QB who isn't eligible yet. We did that with Davenport, who was really good for us. We are doing it with Knighton, although there has not been much impact with him yet. Maybe we need to get some mature bodies in here until we can grow the freshmen. Make that a recruiting "strategy." We ought to bring in every 5th-year safety in the country until we get THAT fixed, for sure.
Plan your work, work your plan.
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

236 yards rushing in the first half last night...

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/fas ... rlKBvStGK/
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GSx wrote:Did someone say Darkwa was a reach? He was a 3 star player; probably the highest rated recruit we had that year.
Thanks for amplifying. I (perhaps mis-?) recalled that someone said Darkwa was a last second recruit. I meant "reach" in that manner but implication is that he was overlooked by others. Don't really know and it's all academic at this point regardless.

Back to the original point. Fritz wants Bakare more than the alternatives. He clearly has time to recruit others instead if he wished. He is not "reaching" for Bakare. Since I'm a homer here, I'm rooting for him to be right about Bakare and conventional wisdom to be wrong. I clearly acknowledge that's from the heart and not the head.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

Bob was a great guy. But he was LAZY when it came to recruiting. I know first hand.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

Bakare picked up another offer today. New Mexico State.

https://twitter.com/simirollin/status/9 ... 7791193088
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Donny Z wrote:Bakare picked up another offer today. New Mexico State.

Yay?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote:
Donny Z wrote:Bakare picked up another offer today. New Mexico State.

Yay?
That was EXACTLY my thought and I almost posted the same thing.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

He’s going to be tough to hold on to.

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/high- ... On41KiPiI/
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Good news: the coaches know what they're about.

Better news: the people who complained that Bakare was an under the radar recruit can bash the staff for not being closers if we lose him.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

well if he's after an agricultural degree :shock: he ain't going to find that at Tulane.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

GreenieBacker wrote:well if he's after an agricultural degree :shock: he ain't going to find that at Tulane.
Agri-business, which is a bit different. A BSM from Tulane would fill a very similar niche.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

He's a gone pecan. Next man up.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Man in Green wrote:He's a gone pecan. Next man up.
Forgive me, but is this a statement of fact or your glass 1/4 full outlook?
Victory is never permanent
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

OGSB wrote:
A prediction based on experience and he wants to major in farming. Plus, he is taking a visit to Mizzou.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Man in Green wrote:
OGSB wrote:
A prediction based on experience and he wants to major in farming. Plus, he is taking a visit to Mizzou.
Well alright.

Look, I'm not trying to call anyone out, I'm just trying to keep up. This is basically where I follow recruiting, so if you're posting your opinion at least say "I hope I'm wrong" or something.
Victory is never permanent
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

He needs to get offered first. It could be that he's one of many backs visiting before the first NSD.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

long green wrote:Good news: the coaches know what they're about.

Better news: the people who complained that Bakare was an under the radar recruit can bash the staff for not being closers if we lose him.
Why would it be better news? No one is going to bash Coach for losing a kid to an SEC school, especially a young man that wants to go into agriculture.

Bottom line is the people that post on this board and any other Tulane board want Tulane football to win in the worst way. To win you need recruits. The kids you recruit must be kids that are considering schools that measure up to the teams you play year in year out. Most of the people on this board have followed the type of recruits (under the radar kids) we have gotten the past 35 years and know we cannot win with that type of player. When a young man’s only offer is Texas A&M Commerce (here is the agricultural angle), then it is only natural to be questioned by a fan base that is exhausted of losing. Yes, we want on the radar kids, that’s all.
Last edited by tjtlja on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

OGSB wrote:
Man in Green wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Well alright.

Look, I'm not trying to call anyone out, I'm just trying to keep up. This is basically where I follow recruiting, so if you're posting your opinion at least say "I hope I'm wrong" or something.
Of course i hope he comes to Tulane to be our next great RB, but it doesn’t look promising from what I have read. If it doesn’t work out then next man up. Plenty of good backs out there.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

What "have you read" other than the linked story above?
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

long green wrote:What "have you read" other than the linked story above?
Comments on the other board.