Tulane student newspaper calls for university to divest from

Discuss today what is happening on campus non-athletically; departments, non-athletic facilities, professors, recognitions and issues. No athletics allowed.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Tulane student newspaper calls for university to divest from

Post by GreenieBacker »

.............fossil fuels

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.s ... river_home

Ah, to be young and naive again...........

calling for more alternate fuels to be used on campus I would agree with. This is just dumb.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane student newspaper calls for university to divest

Post by WaveProf »

I believe a relatively large (not massive) group of students led a sit in at Gibson for a few weeks (or something like that) a year or two ago about this issue. Was the talk of the campus. Took turns "taking over" the office. I don't remember the details. I believe, at the time, Fitts released a statement saying Tulane would continue to broaden its attempts to use alternative resources. It was all big talk on campus, but not widely covered, and not discussed here because it seemed political, so I'm having to base this off my memory.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

This could be a great project for our students. Figure out how we can power the 25 million cars on the road, plus all the trucks, buses and airplanes without using fossil fuels. Then tell us how much electricity it takes to light, heat and cool all our buildings and how many solar plants, windmills and algae farms it will take to generate this much electricity...and where we could place all of those facilities, and how much they would cost and who would pay for them. This is a great project. Get to work, students!
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

that's actually a really good idea. I know you posted in somewhat in jest but it would actually put real world numbers on a pipedream.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

No, I was serious. Until young people start using facts and knowledge to make decisions instead of bumper sticker slogans, we will have this kind of drivel to deal with. The president should challenge them to give him these numbers and facts before he makes any decisions about how we should invest our endowment. The Board does that anyway and I expect they have a fudiciary responsibility to the University to make the best decisions based on facts, not fancies.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

They should take an economics class.
[Redacted]
And they should be spending their time doing something useful to society, like consuming alcohol, practicing procreation, and going to the game tonight.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Nuclear.

I think college is actually the time to go stupid ideologue. You are a faux adult, with no worry of where your next meal is coming from, a roof over your head, minimal responsibility other than to drag your lazy @ss out of bed to class for a few times a week, a target rich environment for romps in the sack. You have plenty of time to suck on lemons later in life.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

There are tons of attributions of the following quote; one book of Quotations attributes the following to Benjamin Disraeli:

"A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head"

I have seen it with varying ages for the conservative; one listed the cross-over at age 25.

I wonder how many of the second year students know what the term "sophomore" means?
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

AO Sig wrote:There are tons of attributions of the following quote; one book of Quotations attributes the following to Benjamin Disraeli:

"A man who is not a Liberal at sixteen has no heart; a man who is not a Conservative at sixty has no head"

I have seen it with varying ages for the conservative; one listed the cross-over at age 25.

I wonder how many of the second year students know what the term "sophomore" means?
I’ve always found that quote incredibly condescending to both conservatives and liberals.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

WaveProf wrote:
AO Sig wrote:There are tons of attributions of the following quote; one book of Quotations attributes the following to Benjamin Disraeli:

I’ve always found that quote incredibly condescending to both conservatives and liberals.
Equal opportunity insult! :mrgreen:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:Nuclear.

I think college is actually the time to go stupid ideologue. You are a faux adult, with no worry of where your next meal is coming from, a roof over your head, minimal responsibility other than to drag your lazy @ss out of bed to class for a few times a week, a target rich environment for romps in the sack. You have plenty of time to suck on lemons later in life.
Says the Rickover acolyte.

These idiots hate nuclear. They hate wind. They hate solar. They hate bio. They hate geothermal. They are too stupid to realize we in fact nees electricity in the modern world.
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:

You would.
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

The last thing any person who survived the Rickover baptism by fire wants to be called is an acolyte. More like an abused altar boy. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

windywave wrote:

These idiots hate nuclear. They hate wind. They hate solar. They hate bio. They hate geothermal. They are too stupid to realize we in fact nees electricity in the modern world.
But god help them if they had to give up their phone! You know, because the phone is made from milk and honey and powered by clean air. You know, like that couple that claimed to live off of air and an occasional piece of fruit.
Bring home da Wave!
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

Sometimes the term sophomore refers to all four years of a student's college career, and then on into adulthood.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

doncecco wrote:
windywave wrote:

But god help them if they had to give up their phone! You know, because the phone is made from milk and honey and powered by clean air. You know, like that couple that claimed to live off of air and an occasional piece of fruit.
Adam and Eve?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

http://nypost.com/2017/06/15/breatharia ... d-of-food/

I believe they have since been debunked.
Bring home da Wave!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Cheerleader wrote:This could be a great project for our students. Figure out how we can power the 25 million cars on the road, plus all the trucks, buses and airplanes without using fossil fuels. Then tell us how much electricity it takes to light, heat and cool all our buildings and how many solar plants, windmills and algae farms it will take to generate this much electricity...and where we could place all of those facilities, and how much they would cost and who would pay for them. This is a great project. Get to work, students!
Don't forget to include the energy to replace all of the plastic garbage bags, cups, inkjet printers and anything else plastic (including iPhones). Not to mention the fact that the main reason cars today get so high in gas mileage is due to the fact that plastic has largely replaced metal in cars to reduce weight, and reduced weight = less energy consumed = higher mileage per gallon of fuel. How does one get plastic? Why, fossil fuels, of course!

Morons.

https://youtu.be/mCbq46sb0sI
Plan your work, work your plan.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

GreenieBacker wrote:.............fossil fuels

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.s ... river_home

Ah, to be young and naive again...........

calling for more alternate fuels to be used on campus I would agree with. This is just dumb.
Divestment campaigns never work. Which I guess is your point.