Time for Basketball Hype? - Dunleavy looking to pack Devlin

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Time for Basketball Hype? - Dunleavy looking to pack Devlin

Post by noladave »

Through almost 2 exhibition games, the basketball team looks dramatically improved. While I can’t say that we will definitely make post-season, we should see a marked improvement in the win category. How much? hard to say come conference, but we should see a lot of pre-conference wins..
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Re: Time for Basketball Hype?

Post by 1309th WAVE »

We've seen those Conroy teams sprint out to 12-3 or whatever OOC only to fall flat in conference before. With that said, the secondhand reports of how we look (in 2 scrimmages) have grabbed my attention.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

No. Wait until we are undefeated going into the tournament.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

1309th WAVE wrote:We've seen those Conroy teams sprint out to 12-3 or whatever OOC only to fall flat in conference before
operative words
Last edited by GSx on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

GSx wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:We've seen those Conroy teams sprint out to 12-3 or whatever OOC only to fall flat in conference before
I can't remember any 12 & 3 starts in recent years.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

GSx wrote:
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Ray wrote:
GSx wrote:
I guess you didn't pay attention to the Conroy era.

Started
10-4 year 1
12-3 year 2
14-5 year 3
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Shooting for this team is exponentially better than prior years. I'd still be concerned about rim protection on defense. LSU Coach Wade was right. All I would do is take the ball to basket all night long if I were an opposing coach. To the extent Loyola scored, it was mainly inside. (And Loyola was a small slow team.) If Tulane has a winning record this year, it will be because it wins games offensively, if the two exhibitions are leading indicators.

Team has the depth and skill to play up tempo effectively for 40 minutes. They definitely do not play Conroy ball of pass it around the perimeter for 29 seconds and then chunk a three. The UNC game on the road might be an interesting early sign as to how much improvement there really is over past.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Baywave1 wrote:Shooting for this team is exponentially better than prior years. I'd still be concerned about rim protection on defense. LSU Coach Wade was right. All I would do is take the ball to basket all night long if I were an opposing coach. To the extent Loyola scored, it was mainly inside. (And Loyola was a small slow team.) .
Good perimeter defense can prevent a lot of inside scoring. We should be able to turn-over teams that may have good insider players, but slower guards.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I really like this team. We have lots of depth, several guys that can score, are more athletic, can shoot and just seem more cohesive offensively. It’s only two exhibition games but we have put up over 80 on back to back nights with a good shooting percentage. We haven’t done that in years.

We will need to rebound better. College basketball isn’t exactly loaded with dominant big men so I think we can survive without a terrific inside game. We have guards that can get penetrate now which will get us some easy baskets.

Bottom line is there are lots of reasons to be optimistic.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Is Koka hurt a bit at the moment, any word on his condition or when he will see the court?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Apparently Koka is injured but with no official confirmation since we have little formal media reporting on team to date (although Guerry Smith is including some stuff on his site that paper is not deeming "fit to print."**) Koka has been on the bench in street clothes at both exhibitions.

** That dig is totally at Advocate and TP who don't seem to think local college MBB teams are worthy to report on. Smith does what he can.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Baywave1 wrote: The UNC game on the road might be an interesting early sign as to how much improvement there really is over past.
CSU is closer to AAC teams. We probably won't beat UNC playing good or bad. If we beat CSU then we should know we can finish in the upper half of conference.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Short (short) write up of both games at the Advocate:

Tulane basketball sweeps Loyola
Victory is never permanent
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Poseidon wrote:
Baywave1 wrote: The UNC game on the road might be an interesting early sign as to how much improvement there really is over past.
CSU is closer to AAC teams. We probably won't beat UNC playing good or bad. If we beat CSU then we should know we can finish in the upper half of conference.
Agree but I'm always aspirational! I encourage Tulane fans to come out and catch this team if you like basketball. AAC is arguably now a better conference than SEC as WSU may even be better than the annual one-and-done festival at UK. Tickets are easily available and well priced. We may not see much defense but you will see alot of non-stop action from good well-coached teams.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Baywave1 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Agree but I'm always aspirational! I encourage Tulane fans to come out and catch this team if you like basketball. AAC is arguably now a better conference than SEC as WSU may even be better than the annual one-and-done festival at UK. Tickets are easily available and well priced. We may not see much defense but you will see alot of non-stop action from good well-coached teams.
I don't think it's even arguable; the AAC is definitely better than the SEC overall. The SEC just isn't a good basketball conference overall.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I'm optimistic about this year but then I'm always optimistic at the start of every year. But I think I have reason to be this year. Caleb looks like a real find, Sehic seems capable of scoring and Cornish will be an upgrade at the second Guard spot.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

While nobody was looking or paying attention* we've built a basketball roster with quite a healthy representation of local talent. Half of our top 8 guys, the guys who will get almost all the minutes, are products of metro area high schools. That's Jordan Cornish, Melvin Frazier, Blake Paul, and Caleb Daniels in case you didn't know already. Colin Slater of course was born here and has come back home.

Caleb Daniels reminds me of the good all-around local guards that UNO kills us with. Remember Bo McCaleb and Charles Carmouche? After the loss people would be on the boards interrobanging away at our scouting and recruiting deficiencies.

*I'm talking to you Ed Daniels who made such a fuss over it when Dunleavy was hired
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Caleb Daniels seemed to come out of nowhere. I really wasn't expecting much out of him this year. And if the exhibitions are any guide Slater has improved his game big time.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Daniels was a very good player for St Aug for more than a couple of years. If he came out of nowhere it was because of two things. First, he got banged up and missed the camp/AAU circuit the summer before his senior year. He might have picked some very solid offers if he could have showed his game off. Second, covering recruiting in this area these days means covering LSU recruiting and nothing else. If they don't go hard after you, you don't exist to the TP or the Advocate.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

randymc wrote:Is Koka hurt a bit at the moment, any word on his condition or when he will see the court?
Koka has a leg injury. He started running/conditioning four or five days ago. I think he'll be ready to play in spurts in a week or so until he builds up his game conditioning.
This one belongs to the Wave.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:Daniels was a very good player for St Aug for more than a couple of years. If he came out of nowhere it was because of two things. First, he got banged up and missed the camp/AAU circuit the summer before his senior year. He might have picked some very solid offers if he could have showed his game off. Second, covering recruiting in this area these days means covering LSU recruiting and nothing else. If they don't go hard after you, you don't exist to the TP or the Advocate.
It's obviously bad reporting which frustrates on its face. But upon reflection in a building situation, that's good. LSU can't sign them all and again Dunleavy seems to like recruiting out of the limelight. For those who don't think Tulane "beat" LSU Tuesday night after a full out effort from all involved just read what Wade has to say. He and LSU were not going through the motions during a meaningless practice outing.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/ ... a3d05.html
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

visualmagic wrote:
Ray wrote:
GSx wrote:
I guess you didn't pay attention to the Conroy era.

Started
10-4 year 1
12-3 year 2
14-5 year 3
In which case, good move!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I respectfully disagree with the limelight observation. I think MD would LOVE to recruit squarely in the limelight but it is what it is. My point is that it's an artificial limelight and it's gotten worse recently. A few years ago the commitment of Lou Dabney to Tulane got a nice reaction from the Ed Daniels and such on the local scene. Daniels looks like that sort of player, maybe better, and he played for the traditional HS hoops power in this city.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

long green wrote:I respectfully disagree with the limelight observation. I think MD would LOVE to recruit squarely in the limelight but it is what it is. My point is that it's an artificial limelight and it's gotten worse recently. A few years ago the commitment of Lou Dabney to Tulane got a nice reaction from the Ed Daniels and such on the local scene. Daniels looks like that sort of player, maybe better, and he played for the traditional HS hoops power in this city.
Maybe we're both right. Until he can sign the one-and-outers, he has to get his players where he can (including overseas.) There was some skepticism when I noted last year but I stand by it that on "three star with lots of upside" recruits (or whatever you want to call the non-high school-superstars like Daniels who project well to him), he thinks he has a better chance of signing them with less competition. FWIW he believes that others who may have earlier passed on a kid might reconsider if and when they know MD is seriously interested.

I don't know why that view invited controversy because it's fairly standard business recruiting in any HR environment. It's not the theory of relativity. Talent matters and if I know that a competitor whose judgment I respect has given a job offer to someone who I had already rejected as a potential employee, I always ask why?