Gratuitous uniform thread 2017...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Gratuitous uniform thread 2017...

Unread post by WaveProf »

Agree with LG about written content

Agree it isnt a true "throwback" because of color, but who cares about that? I always look to the Basque saying that what is best about their culture (in their minds) is that it is "always old and always new". In other words, deeply rooted in tradition and yet always changing. I feel these uniforms exemplify that.

And they look a lot better than if they were a true "throwback"
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

its a nice combination, no doubt. But I'm starting to worry that we might be overdoing the blue a bit too much.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

We are overdoing the blue, as Backer just said. It looks nice, sure. But we are the GREEN WAVE. And it's homecoming. We should "come home."
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:its a nice combination, no doubt. But I'm starting to worry that we might be overdoing the blue a bit too much.
Twice a year is overdoing?

It is half our school colors after all.

We are overdoing the grey for sure
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

WaveProf wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:its a nice combination, no doubt. But I'm starting to worry that we might be overdoing the blue a bit too much.
Twice a year is overdoing?

It is half our school colors after all.

We are overdoing the grey for sure
We've worn blue three times now, green twice. Blue should be for special occasions or limited use, the green as our standard home uni. And WHITE helmets ONLY!!! The mullet T, the interlocking TU, the Angry Wave--all are acceptable. But the base color should be white. Again, the "standard" should be set--green jerseys, white pants and helmet, Angry Wave; all other variations follow that.

Personally, I can't stand all these variations. One or two are OK, but my gosh, a different uni EVERY GAME? Too much if you ask me. Throwbacks are great, but only if they are exact replicas of the throwback era. And don't even get me started on non-standard colors like gray or black. The only caveat there is for truly special occasions, like black pants in a bowl game when you're about to go undefeated--then it's acceptable.
Plan your work, work your plan.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

I've never thought of blue as "our school color". Green is our school color, we're the Green Wave after all. To me blue is a secondary complementary color.

other than that, I second everything Roto wrote.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

The helmet looks okay, although the colors look a little light. Maybe it's a metallic finish.

This isn't a throwback look, and with so many good throwback looks, Tulane could have done better. The late-70's/early-80's look brings back memories. But it might also be fun to see the 40's look: unadorned white helmets, unstriped dark green jerseys, white pants, black shoes. I doubt there's a constituency for that option, though. That says power football to me and would look fine with Fritz's backs running all over someone.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

WaveProf wrote:...It is half our school colors after all...
Nope. Our colors are PREDOMNATELY green, with a blue accent.

The name "Green Wave" comes from the fact that, on the field, we gave the appearance of a wave of green sweeping over our opposition. To deny that is to deny our very identification. We might as well change our mascot to some animal.

The blue jerseys are just a means of "changing tradition" by discarding tradition. Tell you fellow basques that when a tradition is changed, it becomes, by definition, no longer a tradition.

And ONCE a year is overdoing it!
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Unread post by olivengreen »

Y'all will b!tc# and moan about anything.

Just hope that all the ones complaining about the uniforms will be at the game to voice their displeasure.
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

I like the blue jerseys for what they are, but agree about the green being the predominant color we should wear most often, but especially this weekend being a "throwback". Like I pondered above, could the heat for a 3:00 game be a factor or was this planned either way?
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

This entire thread (going back to page 1) is the best embodiment in human history of:

GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

wr, I like the blue jerseys as well but if overdone its loses its "special" nature and begins to confuse our one of our trademarks, i.e., that we're the Green Wave.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

It's a fun look. We could wear the swimsuits from Borat for all I care, as long as we win. Next year I hope they bring back the bacon wave.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

waverider wrote:I like the blue jerseys for what they are, but agree about the green being the predominant color we should wear most often, but especially this weekend being a "throwback". Like I pondered above, could the heat for a 3:00 game be a factor or was this planned either way?
I think heat is a factor. if there's no cloud cover tomorrow it is going to be very hot and humid.

As for the blue I agree it's being overdone. It should be saved for a big game where we are looking for that little extra motivation to put us over the top. Hopefully we'll be playing in a game like that soon.
We deserve so much better
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

Wandering Quaker wrote: The late-70's/early-80's look brings back memories.

Would be very cool. A very powerful winning period for TU with great vibes.
Wandering Quaker wrote:But it might also be fun to see the 40's look: unadorned white helmets, unstriped dark green jerseys, white pants, black shoes. I doubt there's a constituency for that option, though. That says power football to me and would look fine with Fritz's backs running all over someone.
Would be super cool. Arguably TU's glory years?
BTW, Penn State and Alabama have used the "unadorned" "power football" look for the last 70 years - nearly untouched. There seems to be no problem with a "constituency" for their uniforms.
olivengreen
Navigator Level

1401973 wrote:

Wandering Quaker wrote:But it might also be fun to see the 40's look: unadorned white helmets, unstriped dark green jerseys, white pants, black shoes. I doubt there's a constituency for that option, though. That says power football to me and would look fine with Fritz's backs running all over someone.
BTW, Penn State and Alabama have used the "unadorned" "power football" look for the last 70 years - nearly untouched. There seems to be no problem with a "constituency" for their uniforms.

Really trying to compare Tulane football to Penn State and Alabama football?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

olivengreen wrote:
1401973 wrote:

No, what he's trying to say is that you can stick to your TRADITION (i.e. school colors) and still play good football without recrimination in recruiting. In other words, the quality of your football program has ZERO to do with having "cool" uniforms." Nike, UnderArmor, etc. be damned. (Apologies to 1401973 if I am misreading your intent.)
Plan your work, work your plan.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

olivengreen wrote:
1401973 wrote:Would be super cool. Arguably TU's glory years?
Actually, Tulane's glory years of the 30's and 40's had us in much the same position as Alabama and Penn State are in today.
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Roller wrote:
olivengreen wrote:
1401973 wrote:Would be super cool. Arguably TU's glory years?
Actually, Tulane's glory years of the 30's and 40's had us in much the same position as Alabama and Penn State are in today.
You aren't actually helping your case..... You think if I show a 5* dual threat qb my rose bowl tickets that Tulane played in will steer him to Tulane over the multiple championships bama has?

You guys are so far removed from reality it's damn near comical.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

what RR said.

But I confess, I like the light blue.
I like the idea that some of the colors and combos may excite some recruits.
I like the interlocking T and U. Now if they can get Roch to do the coin flip....
Of course I can't get enough of the Angry Wave.

But I would LOVE us to do throwbacks next year commemorating the 20 year anniversary of our last conference championship (I don't care if the jerseys aren't that different). Can you imagine if we are actually battling it out for our division and for the last home game we come storming out in those? Or better yet, if we make it to the conference championship game? Baby steps numbers, baby steps.

And even better in 2019 do a throwback to commemorate the 70 year anniversary of our last SEC championship. Especially when we play an SEC team in a bowl game Baby steps numbers, baby steps.

Anything to add excitement for the fans, community, recruits is good.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

olivengreen wrote:You think if I show a 5* dual threat qb my rose bowl tickets that Tulane played in will steer him to Tulane over the multiple championships bama has?
No one is suggesting that so why don't you stop trying to make something out of nothing.
The new jerseys are good.
The throwback idea is good.
Anything that can get folks to notice us is good.
The best way to get folks to notice us is win.
olivengreen
Navigator Level

1401973 wrote:
olivengreen wrote:You think if I show a 5* dual threat qb my rose bowl tickets that Tulane played in will steer him to Tulane over the multiple championships bama has?
No one is suggesting that so why don't you stop trying to make something out of nothing.
Suuuuure you aren't suggesting......
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

wavedom wrote:
waverider wrote:I like the blue jerseys for what they are, but agree about the green being the predominant color we should wear most often, but especially this weekend being a "throwback". Like I pondered above, could the heat for a 3:00 game be a factor or was this planned either way?
I think heat is a factor. if there's no cloud cover tomorrow it is going to be very hot and humid.

As for the blue I agree it's being overdone. It should be saved for a big game where we are looking for that little extra motivation to put us over the top. Hopefully we'll be playing in a game like that soon.
Another good look would have been the white jerseys to go with throwback helmets. Problem is, that would have had to be agreed upon before the season and at that time the green jersey may have been in consideration for this game. Dannen likely didn't take into account it could still be hot and humid in November.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
olivengreen
Navigator Level

waverider wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Another good look would have been the white jerseys to go with throwback helmets. Problem is, that would have had to be agreed upon before the season and at that time the green jersey may have been in consideration for this game. Dannen likely didn't take into account it could still be hot and humid in November.
If we really are worried that a darker jersey will kill our conditioning against a team from cincy then you know..... we have no reason to take the field.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

1401973 wrote:
This.

ong, your post is non sequitor to the discussion. If we have a way to awaken awareness to our "glory years," AND we start winning, people will not see us as johnnie-come-lately. If we didn't have that history (or--same thing--nobody is aware of it), that's all we'll be for many years.