RIP Roy Halladay

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

RIP Roy Halladay

Post by PeteRasche »

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2133 ... ulf-mexico

Died in a plane crash. Age 40. :cry:

Man, he was good in his prime. I'll never forget the no-no in game 1 against my Reds in the 2010 playoffs.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: RIP Roy Halladay

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Really sad news. He was as dominant as anyone in his prime. Wasted many years on bad Jays teams before getting that ring with the Phils. He's up for the hall net year. I hope he gets in.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

he was flying a new amphibious airplane.. I've flown in a similar aircraft... he may have tried to land in water too rough or possibly had his landing gear down while trying to land on water.. it will be interesting to see if they can determine how it happened..

regardless, I was shocked when I saw the ESPN alert on my phone
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:Really sad news. He was as dominant as anyone in his prime. Wasted many years on bad Jays teams before getting that ring with the Phils. He's up for the hall net year. I hope he gets in.
Well, he never got the ring, but other than that I agree completely. As sad as it is, this probably locks his election next year.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Roy gave Philadelphia his all. Not quite a ring but he left it all out there.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote:he was flying a new amphibious airplane.. I've flown in a similar aircraft... he may have tried to land in water too rough or possibly had his landing gear down while trying to land on water.. it will be interesting to see if they can determine how it happened..
Yeah, story says the company lost their top test pilot in a crash as well. Sounds like this company might be in for some investigation...
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Johnny Mac wrote:he was flying a new amphibious airplane.. I've flown in a similar aircraft... he may have tried to land in water too rough or possibly had his landing gear down while trying to land on water.. it will be interesting to see if they can determine how it happened..

regardless, I was shocked when I saw the ESPN alert on my phone
I was thinking the same scenario - maybe trying some 'touch and goes' in the Gulf and didn't realize the waves or chop or angle was a bit off.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

gerryb323 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:Really sad news. He was as dominant as anyone in his prime. Wasted many years on bad Jays teams before getting that ring with the Phils. He's up for the hall net year. I hope he gets in.
Well, he never got the ring, but other than that I agree completely. As sad as it is, this probably locks his election next year.
You're right. That just speaks to how good he was. In my head I had him winning a ring but he missed that by a couple of years.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:Yeah, story says the company lost their top test pilot in a crash as well. Sounds like this company might be in for some investigation...
test pilot crash was a near Darwin award.. dude flew into a canyon and didn't realize it was the WRONG canyon that had a dead end
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

The aircraft company had a picture of him and his plane on their website, from when he took delivery last month. The picture can still be found (but not where it's supposed to be; sit's supposed to link to a video), but the video and article were gone last night.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

TMZ has a video from when he crashed.. eyewitnesses say he was flying erratically