2018 Commit List Radar Status

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

2018 Commit List Radar Status

Post by Poseidon »

-There has been a lot of talk about commits being under the radar. I seek to roughly define and lay out the facts. I propose 2 classifications for this purpose. Simply put if they have a P5, or two AAC or MWC/BYU/Army offer they are "on the radar." I include the MWC because their recruiting class grades compare with AAC's.

GREEN: On
RED: OFF
Strike through = de-commit
Bold = Sign
Name-POS-top 3 Offers

Sorrell Brown WR USAFA, Purdue, UTEP
Macon Clark LB ULL, Troy
Simi Bakare RB Mizzou, Central Ark, Stephen F Austin
Cameron Carroll RB South Al, Southern Miss, Central Ark
Nik Hogan OL Miss St, Kentucky, ECU
Tyrick James TE K-STate, SMU, New Mexico
Jamal Anderson DB Louisville only other offer
Patrick Shegog ATH Army, Navy Central Ark.
Carlos Hatcher DE USM only other offer
Michael Remondet OL UL, Marshall
Jason Swann OL NC State, Syraccuse, Miss St.
Jamiran James DT Houston, Memphis, Navy
Amare Jones ATH Tulsa, SFA, UNT
Stephen Lewerenz OL MTSU, Liberty, Murray
Davon Wright DT Navy, SMU, COl state
Juan Monjarres DE Wash St, Colorado, ECU
Christian Daniels QB Purdue, USAFA, Navy
Jorien Vallien WR Ms St, TTU, Vandy
Jeffery Johnson DT Alabama, Florida, LSU
Dorian Camel S Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas
Ryan Wright P None*
Larry Brooks S ULM, Ark St., Texas State,
Damien Tate DB UTSA, UNT IDAHO
Chris Joyce ATH Tenneessee ?, FAU, UMASS
Last edited by Poseidon on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: 2018 Commit List Radar Status

Post by PeteRasche »

Thanks for the summary Poseidon. I'd appreciate it if you could keep that updated, as some guys have decommitted and we'll probably be adding guys as well.

It seems we've had more "off radar" guys lately and amidst a losing streak it's easy to forget the impressive guys we'd gotten earlier.

Of course, it's all just internet chatter until signing day, so let's hope the good ones stick.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Good job taking a stab at it.

I'd dispute Amare Jones due to his solid 247 rating but your standards are your standards. Hatcher carries good ratings as well and the staff certainly didn't treat him as if they thought him a under the radar/backburner type.

I think of Lewerenz, Clark, and Bakare as the most truly under the radar commitments. Lewerenz committed very early at a time when most programs take on guys that their fans aren't familiar with (LSU did this with a DE from Ferriday named Dantrieze Scott). Clark and Bakare are guys whose names came to us very late. Clark has an offer from Troy as well.
Last edited by long green on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

4 OL commits. I'd like to get all 4 plus another 1 or 2 transfers that can play immediately.

Btw, thanks for the breakout. Looks like we are about 50/50 with radar/under radar guys.
Last edited by waverider on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Poseidon wrote:-There has been a lot of talk about commits being under the radar. I seek to roughly define and lay out the facts. I propose 2 classifications for this purpose. Simply put if they have a P5, or two AAC or MWC/BYU/Army offer they are "on the radar." I include the MWC because their recruiting class grades compare with AAC's.

GREEN: On
RED: OFF
Name-POS-top 3 Offers

Sorrell Brown WR USAFA, Purdue, UTEP
Macon Clark LB ULL
Simi Bakare RB Central Ark, Stephen F Austin
Cameron Carroll RB South Al, Southern Miss, Central Ark
Nik Hogan OL Miss St, Kentucky, ECU
Tyrick James TE K-STate, SMU, New Mexico
Jamal Anderson DB Louisville only other offer
Patrick Shegog ATH Army, Navy Central Ark.
Carlos Hatcher DE USM only other offer
Michael Remondet OL UL, Marshall
Jason Swann OL NC State, Syraccuse, Miss St.
Jamiran James DT Houston, Memphis, Navy
Amare Jones ATH Tulsa, SFA, UNT
Stephen Lewerenz OL MTSU, Liberty, Murray
Davon Wright DT Navy, SMU, COl state
Juan Monjarres DE Wash St, Colorado, ECU
This is the first year football has an early signing date
It will be interesting to see how many of these commits sign in December and how many wait for a better offer
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Poseidon, great job. I really enjoyed it and like Pete said, please keep it updated. I think your standards are fair.

As we can see, almost half the class is under the radar. This type of recruiting will keep you in the bottom 3rd of the AAC. If we sign 25, there should be no more than five recruits that are considered under the radar kids. WF better pick it up. The only way I see this being done is to hire assistants from across the country and recruit nationally. They must figure this out one way or the other.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yes, great job, Poseidon. I am always amazed by guys like you, long green, TU23 and others that get into the nitty gritty.

As for under the radar vs. on, I am reminded of business development metrics that parse available market vs. addressable market. Simply put, addressable markets are those where one has a reasonable chance of converting an opportunity to sales. In fact, if you sell management on available market as being entirely addressable, you won’t last long in your job. You don’t have the resources and the barriers to entry are impossible to overcome.

P5 has become a de facto barrier to entry. Not insurmountable but close. Our addressable market should continue to be like the joke about not having to outrun the bear—just outrun your companion. The problem of where Tulane is is that the barriers to entry are high which means that we not only have to work harder to outdo our AAC peers but we have hit more than miss on those Poseidon has in red.

I feel for WF and his staff. Screaming at them to recruit better doesn’t make it happen. They know what’s at stake.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I've given up long ago beating LSU for recruits. All I'm focused on now is how we do against the top third of our conference.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

It's not going to make a huge difference at the margins, but I don't think we should lump Army (or Navy, for that matter) in with our conference foes...their recruiting is well below that standard.
ThePig
Riptide Level

Post by ThePig »

ml wave wrote:It's not going to make a huge difference at the margins, but I don't think we should lump Army (or Navy, for that matter) in with our conference foes...their recruiting is well below that standard.
Navy or Army alone should not be lumped in but a Navy or Army offer along with one of the others should be a plus because of what it says about a young man's character and grades.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

ThePig wrote:
ml wave wrote:It's not going to make a huge difference at the margins, but I don't think we should lump Army (or Navy, for that matter) in with our conference foes...their recruiting is well below that standard.
Navy or Army alone should not be lumped in but a Navy or Army offer along with one of the others should be a plus because of what it says about a young man's character and grades.
They're also going to be completing for athletes with similar skill sets in many cases.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I wouldn't discount their athletes if its a position that relates to what we do and want to do better (RB for instance) not so much at other positions (DL for instance). But I do see an Army or Navy offer useful to determine if a kid is solid academically and of good character that, when added to my "Star" and who also offered, gives me a better picture of how we did.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GretnaGrn wrote:
ThePig wrote:
They're also going to be completing for athletes with similar skill sets in many cases.
All good points. The academies are just wrench's in the system. It might depend on position as well considering our similar schemes. I was just trying to keep it as simple as possible.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I would actually give more credit to us getting a recruit for specific positions (QB!) if we beat Army, Navy, or a handful of other schools which run an offense similar to what we do. Not everyone is going to go after players with specific skill sets that we might need. Therefore, some players will necessarily be "off the radar" to most schools but acceptable to us.

But that's NOT valid across the board.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

ThePig wrote:
At this point I take character and grades as a given and I don't really see a need to give extra credit, recruiting-wise, for it. If anything, we've recruited character and grades for far too long.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:I would actually give more credit to us getting a recruit for specific positions (QB!) if we beat Army, Navy, or a handful of other schools which run an offense similar to what we do. Not everyone is going to go after players with specific skill sets that we might need. Therefore, some players will necessarily be "off the radar" to most schools but acceptable to us.

I think it's probably valid for most offensive positions, but absolutely NOT valid for any defensive ones (or kickers/punters).
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I think I might have a problem with a WR recruit whose only Div.1A offer was Army. Other than that if the skill level is there and they have legit offers in addition to Army/Navy I would be fine (on the Offensive side)
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

The WR we just picked up out of Texas looks like a solid pick-up.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:I would actually give more credit to us getting a recruit for specific positions (QB!) if we beat Army, Navy, or a handful of other schools which run an offense similar to what we do. Not everyone is going to go after players with specific skill sets that we might need. Therefore, some players will necessarily be "off the radar" to most schools but acceptable to us.

I think it's probably valid for most offensive positions, but absolutely NOT valid for any defensive ones (or kickers/punters).
I think you can make an argument for QB and OL, but we're not looking for anything different at RB or WR.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I know that now I'm going to argue against myself but an Army WR has to know how to block, so there might be one out there that has sufficient size and speed to be worth taking a chance on. And personally I've like the FB's that I've seen from Army and Navy who seem capable of hitting the middle of the line for some yardage which tends to open the outside the Tackle runs. Seeing Badie get sent up some inside dive play makes me, well sad.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I can see some of the positives others see when a player has offers from Navy or Army. I would disagree though about us going after the same type of QB's. They are not the least bit concerned with him being able to pass the ball. I know many are frustrated by us not giving the passing game more opportunities but Fritz stated goal is to have a dual threat QB that is able to throw the ball . A lot of schools looking for RPO QB's are going after the type of QB we want. I felt we were fortunate to land Banks. It's going to be tough to recruit this position since so many look for a similar type. We're going to need some more luck.
We deserve so much better
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

ml wave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

I think you can make an argument for QB and OL, but we're not looking for anything different at RB or WR.
Disagree on WR; we need ones who can block far more than most schools. RB you may have a point.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GreenieBacker wrote:I know that now I'm going to argue against myself but an Army WR has to know how to block, so there might be one out there that has sufficient size and speed to be worth taking a chance on. And personally I've like the FB's that I've seen from Army and Navy who seem capable of hitting the middle of the line for some yardage which tends to open the outside the Tackle runs. Seeing Badie get sent up some inside dive play makes me, well sad.
WR blocking is more of a willingness than a skill imo. Something to be taught, not recruited.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
ml wave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Disagree on WR; we need ones who can block far more than most schools. RB you may have a point.
If we are emphasizing blocking skills when targeting WRs (which I doubt we are) then I would humbly suggest that we might be better served looking for speed, the ability to get off the line of scrimmage, run decent routes, get open, etc...the things we lack that are really hampering our offense.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

While I don't understand under the radar skill players, this class is shaping up as the best we've had in a long, long time.