Time for Basketball Hype? - Dunleavy looking to pack Devlin

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: Time for Basketball Hype?

Post by GreenieBacker »

I've written before that I think Tulane, with a big time NBA coach at the helm and a whole slew of local players with interesting back stories............that we present a compelling local sports story. But with media all scrambling in this new world its pretty much LSU and nothing else. And that equates to a real loss to the local sports fan.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

to answer the question... yes, it's time for basketball hype...

in reference to the LSU game, anyone who thinks LSU was just "practicing" needs to just look at the box score... two guys played 30+ minutes.. 3 more played 27+... not exactly emptying out the bench to give guys some PT... Yes, we played our main guys big minutes too... but then again, we're not making excuses for not winning the game
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Baywave1 wrote: Until he can sign the one-and-outers . . .
I hope that there is a change in the rules before that happens.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

visualmagic wrote:
Ray wrote:
GSx wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:We've seen those Conroy teams sprint out to 12-3 or whatever OOC only to fall flat in conference before
I can't remember any 12 & 3 starts in recent years.
I guess you didn't pay attention to the Conroy era.

Started
10-4 year 1
12-3 year 2
14-5 year 3
Sorry ...... you're right !!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Baywave1 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Baywave1 wrote: The UNC game on the road might be an interesting early sign as to how much improvement there really is over past.
CSU is closer to AAC teams. We probably won't beat UNC playing good or bad. If we beat CSU then we should know we can finish in the upper half of conference.
Agree but I'm always aspirational! I encourage Tulane fans to come out and catch this team if you like basketball. AAC is arguably now a better conference than SEC as WSU may even be better than the annual one-and-done festival at UK. Tickets are easily available and well priced. We may not see much defense but you will see alot of non-stop action from good well-coached teams.
The SEC is arguably no better than 5th as a league. ACC, Big 12, Big 10, A10 and PAC 12 are all better basketball leagues, top to bottom; the AAC with Wichita St. is at least on par with the SEC, and maybe add the Big East in this category. Only Kentucky is a consistent power, especially since Donovan went to the NBA. South Carolina had a great season, but until they show consistency, they'll have to show me that their program is better than one great run in the tourney.
Plan your work, work your plan.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I believe the SEC is a still a better conference than the AAC. I think the AAC could be better than the PAC 12 this year.

Daniels and Sehic can really shoot the 3. Sehic’s open outside shot is effortless. Tulane was switching all pics on the perimeter last night. Koka is thin but looks to be 7 ft tall. It looks like HC Dunleavey wants to really speed the game up to make up partially for our low post offense and defense issues. Barrett has quick hands, good length, but is raw. Ajang is raw, but moved his feet a little better than I expected. He made one nice basketball move in the low post and scored.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Doc, I hear the staff really like the two big men (Ajang & Koka). What were your impressions of Barrett? Also, how many will we sign next week? Thanks, Doc and take care.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I don’t have much to add. Barrett is a PG with good size. He looked like he was trying to learn his responsibilities. He took one outside shot that I remember and missed badly. He has good quickness and looks to be athletic. I don’t have much else to add. I did not attend the LSU exhibition.

Tulane is expected to sign SF Moses Wood during the early period. Apparently staff likes his “versatility.” I have not been following recruiting closely lately.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

Very excited about this year's team.

The American will probably be the strongest it's ever been this season. Will be interesting.

Pretty decent OOC schedule for Tulane, too.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

I like 'em :!: :!:
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Ray wrote:
I like 'em :!: :!:
As do I... Just the proper amount of blue.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

The practice gear - which I admittedly have not seen in years - is entirely green and blue now, like these uniforms. No white on it. The practice tops, just like in my day, are reversible for scrimmaging, but it is green against blue now, rather than green against white. They clearly are "all in" on incorporating our second color and not just our first. So it will be interesting to see if the home uniforms are white or blue.

I believe I was told we'll have at least three uniforms this year (home, away, special occasion), with a potential fourth for a single, special time of the year. My guess is home will still be white, and the "special" will be blue. I'd think blue would require approval from our opponent (and depend on the primary color of the opponent's road uniforms).
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Here are the home whites. https://twitter.com/uniwatch/status/927604374335049729

As for alternates I don't know what we will have this year but I think we had a black and a blue alternate last year.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

visualmagic wrote:Here are the home whites. https://twitter.com/uniwatch/status/927604374335049729

As for alternates I don't know what we will have this year but I think we had a black and a blue alternate last year.
Good Again :!: :!:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I wish they'd show the backs in the pictures so you could see the tonal graphics. A little wave design shows on the shorts but I'd like to see the back. Curious whether they still have the streetcar thing incorporated.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

The black alts with the script Green Wave were one of the few non school color fits I liked. Not nearly as sinful as our gray wave football look.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Pete, not sure if this is what you were asking for, but the uniforms worn for the LSU game, had the streetcar graphic on the back. I didn't get many back pictures, this is the one of the few:

Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

noladave wrote:Pete, not sure if this is what you were asking for, but the uniforms worn for the LSU game, had the streetcar graphic on the back. I didn't get many back pictures, this is the one of the few:

Nice Dave !!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

That's it, Dave. Same graphic we used last year. With the effort which supposedly went into creating that look, I would have been surprised if we didn't still have it.

So I believe I "misremembered" the conversation I described above, we clearly will have more than 3 or 4 uniforms. We've seen black and blue in the exhibitions, and white and green tweeted already. If those specials I heard about come to fruition, that would be 5, but I feel like there will be even more.

Hey, we've officially turned this into a uniform thread! :lol:
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I’m so excited for the start of the season. I don’t think this one is going to disappoint.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

NJwave wrote:I’m so excited for the start of the season. I don’t think this one is going to disappoint.
Is there anything as optimistic as a Tulane fan, despite decades of experience telling us not to be? :lol:

43 years a fool for me. :mrgreen:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

For the first time in years, I’m really excited for a men’s basketball season. as TUPF, could this be another version of fools gold?? Assuming I don’t run into any issues getting back from Baton Rouge, I should make the game tonight.

Wonder what uniform they will wear?
PCWave
Crest Level

Post by PCWave »

TUPF, it is 70 years for me (I became a fan at an early age). It is very difficult to be a Tulane fan, but what the heck, we keep on hoping for that ONE DAY.
Harahan Wave
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PCWave wrote:TUPF, it is 70 years for me (I became a fan at an early age). It is very difficult to be a Tulane fan, but what the heck, we keep on hoping for that ONE DAY.
Well done, Lad. Well done!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium