MBB opens against LIU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Re: MBB opens against LIU

Post by gerryb323 »

I don't really think there's a question as to the advantage of the "new" NBA approach of running and raining threes. As you said, assuming you can make a fair percentage of them. I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about how the Suns from 2006 (I think), who led the league in pace then by a fair margin would be LAST in the league in pace. That's just 10 years of evolution. Forget your father's basketball, this isn't even your older brother's basketball.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:You may want to pay attention to this going forward since we have a NBA coach.
I have two kids under 10, I have to make an effort just to see our games (last night I was able to catch 3 minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the game). I certainly won't be paying attention to the trend elsewhere because I won't be seeing any other basketball at all. So, ya know... Analytics, yay, good for us, woohoo and all that. I hope it works.

P.S. It's easy to win raining threes like GS and Houston when Curry, Thompson, Harden, et al, are the guys shooting... Just sayin'.
Last edited by PeteRasche on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenHeart
Riptide Level

Post by GreenHeart »

PeteRasche wrote: I just know that all the shooters in the world won't win games when the other team is making layups because you can't defend them.
But isn't that what happened last night? We were sliced up but somehow managed to win with outside shooting.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:You may want to pay attention to this going forward since we have a NBA coach.
I have two kids under 10, I have to make an effort just to see our games (last night I was able to catch 3 minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the game). I certainly won't be paying attention to the trend elsewhere because I won't be seeing any other basketball at all. So, ya know... Analytics, yay, good for us, woohoo and all that. I hope it works.

P.S. It's easy to win raining threes like GS and Houston when Curry, Thompson, Harden, et al, are the guys shooting... Just sayin'.
Based on how much you write on the board about the various sports, I thought you followed each team closely. And being a former basketball player and writing about basketball in general, I thought this would be right up your alley. I raised four kids who were involved in everything so I know what you are going through. I am sure you are currently busy so I won't waste anymore of your time with this woohoo stuff. It is just interesting to me how much more sports are leaning on statistical analysis and the change is obvious in every sport.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

People say statistical analysis like it's magic. It's just facts. But then you can find a statistic to support almost anything so
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Based on how much you write on the board about the various sports, I thought you followed each team closely. And being a former basketball player and writing about basketball in general, I thought this would be right up your alley. I raised four kids who were involved in everything so I know what you are going through. I am sure you are currently busy so I won't waste anymore of your time with this woohoo stuff. It is just interesting to me how much more sports are leaning on statistical analysis and the change is obvious in every sport.
I follow our teams closely. I rarely have time to watch any others.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Hate to interject facts but we didn't win the game at the three point line. BOTH teams made 9 three pointers. They made two more shots from the floor. We won it at the foul line making 21 to their 11. We got the benefit of a lot of calls last night which is rare for us in any sport. Hopefully it starts a trend.
We deserve so much better
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Sehic also played in the paint very well on the offensive end.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

randymc wrote:Sehic also played in the paint very well on the offensive end.
He missed at least three gimme shots (put two back, but still)
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count