In OT: Tulane 31 ECU 24

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Re: In OT: Tulane 31 ECU 24

Post by Fan Since '54 »

GSx wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
austxwave wrote:If and but's were...

should have beaten FIU and Cincy...we'd be bowl eligible at 6-4 with 2 games left.
Let's give it a rest. Tulane is at best an average team. It won two close games late (Army and ECU)
lost/failed to win two close games (Cincy and Navy.) It can still do something in the next two weeks. Let's see what happens.
No need for that.
Average below average teams make bowls every year
Question": And why is that?
Answer: Because there are too many bowl games, and when that happens, many of them turn into "participation" or "wgas" bowls.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Baywave1 wrote:Prof, Before any specific game I'm probably the most optimistic Tulane fan around. Afterwards especially if it's a loss, it is what it is. I've never been much on teeth gnashing about Tulane athletics other than saving some bile for Rufus Harris, dropping out of the SEC, not hiring Rockne, firing Ellender, not hiring Infante, not hiring Rich Rod, moving to a Robin Hood tuition plan and abandoning Louisiana students, losing to LSU for like forever..... :green wink:
I'm with you there, except for one thing...In retrospect, Rockne turned into a big name, and it's a feather in our cap that he was one we were able to "reject" (he was not hired because he did not show up for his interview), but we actually got, for the time, a better coach, who dug us out of a mess (we didn't have a real football field and had only one team on the next year's schedule). Shaughnessy got our act together, and we rode high in national prominence for a long time afterwards, so I can't consider not hiring Rockne as cause for angst.
I still generate a lot of bile for that other stuff, but since I had my gall bladder taken out, I have no place to store it.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Question": And why is that?
Answer: Because there are too many bowl games, and when that happens, many of them turn into "participation" or "wgas" bowls.
Are you complaining about a system that offers a chance for additional practice time? At one time, the bowls were completely free to select whoever they thought would bring in a bigger gate--even if it was a winless team.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Getting back to the game, I absolutely loved Fritz's decision to go for it on 4th down in overtime. And I would still be saying that if it had failed. Play to win.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

our lack of a dependable FG game (though Merek Glover has done his best) made that decision no decision at all. I would have been shocked had we not made it.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Good point, though Glover has done pretty well it seems to me.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Private Joker wrote:Good point, though Glover has done pretty well it seems to me.
I mean he totally blew a very similar game winning kick just 7 days prior so I can't imagine there was even a thought of kicking the FG.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Private Joker wrote:Good point, though Glover has done pretty well it seems to me.
He's 5/6 but the one miss is the one everyone will remember. Not bad for a walk-on, but the fact that he's only attempted 6 FGs tells us there isn't a whole lot of confidence in him, or the kicking game in general.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

ml wave wrote:
I mean he totally blew a very similar game winning kick just 7 days prior so I can't imagine there was even a thought of kicking the FG.
That blown kick was Willie's fault.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Private Joker wrote:That blown kick was Willie's fault.
That's a bit of overstatement, but he certainly didn't put his kicker in a position to succeed.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

WaveProf wrote:
Private Joker wrote:That blown kick was Willie's fault.
That's a bit of overstatement, but he certainly didn't put his kicker in a position to succeed.
Regardless of Fritz's decisions, that was a kick many high school kids make.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

It’s also a kick many high school and college kickers miss
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16