I was wrong

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
windywave
Emerald Circle

I was wrong

Post by windywave »

To be Mary frick Poppins in the off season. I expected us to be better. The stench of CJ has not been remediated. Our O line still has issues in pass pro and makes dumb doody mental mistakes seemingly trying to outdo each other. Our DBs still can't wrap up and have issues covering. I write this before OT so I don't know the outcome, but if we go bowling I'll be surprised based off tonight's performance. I have faith in WF and think he will right the ship, just maybe not this year. Next year we better be bowl eligible.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: I was wrong

Post by Baywave1 »

windywave wrote:To be Mary frick Poppins in the off season. I expected us to be better. The stench of CJ has not been remediated. Our O line still has issues in pass pro and makes dumb doody mental mistakes seemingly trying to outdo each other. Our DBs still can't wrap up and have issues covering. I write this before OT so I don't know the outcome, but if we go bowling I'll be surprised based off tonight's performance. I have faith in WF and think he will right the ship, just maybe not this year. Next year we better be bowl eligible.
Did you notice Fritz firing up the troops after regulation when Tulane had basically given the game away in the 4th q? I've never seen that and it shows leadership matters.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

windywave wrote:To be Mary frick Poppins in the off season. I expected us to be better. The stench of CJ has not been remediated. Our O line still has issues in pass pro and makes dumb doody mental mistakes seemingly trying to outdo each other. Our DBs still can't wrap up and have issues covering. I write this before OT so I don't know the outcome, but if we go bowling I'll be surprised based off tonight's performance. I have faith in WF and think he will right the ship, just maybe not this year. Next year we better be bowl eligible.
We're still on track for this year. Let's beat Houston and SMU, then show the bowl folks a preview of next year.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
We're still on track for this year. Let's beat Houston and SMU, then show the bowl folks a preview of next year.
I'm with you, but that unsportsmanlike penalty when we were running out the clock made something snap in me.
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Roller wrote:
I wouldn't say 4-6 is on track for a bowl, but we havd a 25% chance.

I'm not bowl or bust, at this point 5-7 in year 2 is better than 4-8 in year 1 and the program FEELS like it is headed in the right direction.

Aside from that, we need more points from our offense.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Tulane has a 25% chance to win both games assuming Vegas rates the games as a tossup. I doubt that. True parley odds are probably about 1 to 5 or even 1 to 6. It's an uphill climb but possible. We'll see.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

This team never quits. So yes it is possible if we can score 24-28 pts a game the next 2. I’m not counting this team out.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Oh, and I think the light may have come on for Donnie Lewis. He played the best game of his Tulane career tonight.
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Donnie played terrific. Best game by far. Real credit card to the young man’s character.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Man in Green wrote:This team never quits. So yes it is possible if we can score 24-28 pts a game the next 2. I’m not counting this team out.
That's Right !! The team doesn't quit & us fans shouldn't either.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Man in Green wrote:Oh, and I think the light may have come on for Donnie Lewis. He played the best game of his Tulane career tonight.
I agree. That was the Donnie Lewis we thought he would be.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Poseidon wrote:I wouldn't say 4-6 is on track for a bowl, ...
As long as we have not yet derailed completely, we're still on the track. As long as the possibility, however slight, remains, we are not derailed.

In a fight to the death, never stop fighting unless you're dead.
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Post by tumbuuh »

windywave wrote:
Roller wrote:
I'm with you, but that unsportsmanlike penalty when we were running out the clock made something snap in me.
I'm with you on that. It felt like the team was so disciplined early in the season, and they're starting to get frustrated and making stupid mistakes. It could really unravel good play, so I hope they're able to button it up for the last two games.
We praise thee for thy future, Alma Mater;
The vista of its glory gleameth far.
We shall ever be part of thee, great Mother;
Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

tjtlja wrote:Donnie played terrific. Best game by far. Real credit card to the young man’s character.
The kid who is tremendously better is Darnell Mooney. He was great last night and could be a real go-to guy if Encalade gets double covered. Color me impressed with his skills that were NOT evident in previous weeks. Needs more beef and time in the weight room, but right now is a legit threat.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

I agree with you, ww, but after last night, I have less confidence that this staff is the one that will lead us to the Promised Land. Defense is leaky and I hate our offense--it just doesn't work consistently and we won with heroic efforts from individuals--Mooney, Banks, Hilliard, Encalade--and not from scheme. I just don't have any confidence in it. It d@mn sure isn't like RR's of '97-'98 in terms of production. I think we might be a better passing team than our coaches give it credit, but the playbook doesn't have enough creativity in the passing game. Come to think of it, it doesn't have enough creativity in the run game, either. When I can call the plays from my chair, before they even break the huddle, something's amiss. The ONLY good call all night was the fake to Hilliard and the TD from Banks in OT, which should have happened two Quarters earlier. As someone else said, ECU was horrid defensively and we made them look respectable.

The best thing of the night is that we don't have to listen to "we've never won in Greenville" anymore. Another ox gored.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Our offense runs the option. It is Banks' option to hand off up the middle, keep, or pitch. You can say they need to stop calling runs up the middle, but they aren't really. They call the option play, but that's our offense.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:Our offense runs the option. It is Banks' option to hand off up the middle, keep, or pitch. You can say they need to stop calling runs up the middle, but they aren't really. They call the option play, but that's our offense.
Eh that's not my understanding of the offense
#cousins don't count
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

We run the option, but we don’t run the triple option which is an integral part of this offense.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Rotorooter wrote:
I agree with you, ww, but after last night, I have less confidence that this staff is the one that will lead us to the Promised Land. Defense is leaky and I hate our offense--it just doesn't work consistently and we won with heroic efforts from individuals--Mooney, Banks, Hilliard, Encalade--and not from scheme. I just don't have any confidence in it. It d@mn sure isn't like RR's of '97-'98 in terms of production. I think we might be a better passing team than our coaches give it credit, but the playbook doesn't have enough creativity in the passing game. Come to think of it, it doesn't have enough creativity in the run game, either. When I can call the plays from my chair, before they even break the huddle, something's amiss. The ONLY good call all night was the fake to Hilliard and the TD from Banks in OT, which should have happened two Quarters earlier. As someone else said, ECU was horrid defensively and we made them look respectable.

The best thing of the night is that we don't have to listen to "we've never won in Greenville" anymore. Another ox gored.
being able to call the plays from your chair isn't that bad of a symptom, given good execution. Anyone could have seen Banks' late runs coming. I was calling for them and there they were. If not for the refs' singling out Briggs we'd have had another in regulation and that probably would have ended the game right then, with us either scoring or running out the clock. The outside option (the 3rd one, as GSx says above) is missing. Vs. Cincy, the second option was.

I also wonder about the conception of the passing game. We do throw downfield and we do have a short game to the receivers. What's missing from Fritz' SHSU offense is the passing game to the backs. Hilliard's NFL value is being masked by this lack. The limitations of the OL in pass protection have to be considered but I'm wondering if we have schematic problems as well.

The thing I like about the offense is something I think we have to do no matter who is coaching what scheme here: using the QB as a runner. Too many Tulane fans run from one extreme to the other but the fact is Tulane wins when it can run the ball and it's too difficult to do this with pass-only QB's (I exempt Roto from this category of fan). To me, the biggest obstacle on offense is the head coach, who is thinking of his offense as a possession machine as opposed to a scoring machine, and is meddling in the play calling.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Honestly, there ought to be a rule that Hilliard cannot run between the tackles more than 10X per game. When he is stuffed 3x in a row, then we cannot run that play until run a play designed to fake it first, then play off of it, for three plays. Then we can run it again, but not until.

When you think about it, Hilliard will break an off-tackle play 2 times out of 30. Those are about the the odds. Those odds go up when you run some misdirection off of it. We are dependent upon Hilliard WAY too much right now. LG is absolutely correct when he says we do not utilize a Hilliard/Badie/Bradwell/Huderson in some sort of pass game, and I do think it is a scheme issue, not a pass-blocking one. Even if it were our OL, most designed passes to a RB are out quickly, so they should help an OL.

By the way, when we had a 10 or 7 point lead late, how many times did we run Hilliard on 1st and 10 and either lose yardage or gain only a yard. I'll tell you--A LOT. We were 2nd and 10+ almost the entire 4th quarter. Hell, once we ran it AGAIN and got nothing, so we were 3rd and long--which is not our strong suit. For this offense to work with the talent level we have, it HAS to get more creative. If it doesn't, I have serious doubts about this coaching staff, I really do. Go out and play your balls off and quit worrying about being conservative with a 10 point lead. I truly believe that we are being hamstrung offensively, hoping individual effort will win the day. That is a Scelfo/Toledo/Johnson strategy that rarely works at Tulane.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

All legitimate takes on offensive philosophy. But I tell you it reminds me almost word for word on criticism of Ellender in 1974 and 1975. Only difference was blame was placed on assistants then and not HC. Now it's reversed.

I've said it before. Canning Ellender was a horrible decision.