Tulane MBB 89, SLU 66

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Tulane MBB 89, SLU 66

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Frazier with a huge game, offense started out hot and defense collected 8 blocks in the first 5 minutes or so. Went cold and let them somewhat back in it late in the first half before a couple of buckets made it 8 at half. Came out hot again to jump the lead to 21 and then cruised the rest of the way, basically playing even ball with the lead between 16 and 23. Could have hit 100 again but called off the dogs and cleared the bench in the waning minutes.

Daniels and Koka both saw their first action, the former hitting a three in his first college attempt and the latter blocking a shot from behind and pinning it in the wedge between the rim and backboard.

2-0. Onward!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane MBB 89, SLU 66

Unread post by tjtlja »

Very nice win. Hey, we are 2-0. Doesn’t that sound great. Roll Wave!
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

I think Paul had 6 blocks on his own which either set or tied a Tulane record
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

waverider wrote:I think Paul had 6 blocks on his own which either set or tied a Tulane record
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

tjtlja wrote:Very nice win. Hey, we are 2-0. Doesn’t that sound great. Roll Wave!
First time since 2013-14. This team is starting to be fun to watch again.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:I think Paul had 6 blocks on his own which either set or tied a Tulane record
We had 8 in the first half, Paul had 7 of them. Almost entirely (if not entirely) in the first five minutes.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

We played really well tonight. SELA is much improved and Veal is really good. He should be wearing a Tulane uniform.

Sehic needs more minutes and I’m sure will get them as the season moves on.
Tito
Navigator Level

Unread post by Tito »

For the first time in 25 years, I was at the game as a fan - not as a statistician. The main thing I took away was - this team is FUN to watch. I’ve seen a lot of sub-mediocre basketball, and this team is exciting and enjoyable. Might be on the way to being pretty special.
At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

I’ve said it since the LSU game, this team is fun to watch. Does it have weaknesses, of course. My only concern is what happens in conference. I’m not sure how they will stack up against American teams.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

Tito wrote:For the first time in 25 years, I was at the game as a fan - not as a statistician. The main thing I took away was - this team is FUN to watch. I’ve seen a lot of sub-mediocre basketball, and this team is exciting and enjoyable. Might be on the way to being pretty special.
Good to hear this Tito !!
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Much, much better defense tonight
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

doc wrote:Much, much better defense tonight
Amen. Plus 60% shooting makes for easier wins. Also last year Tulane was losing to Southland teams.

Opposition quality improves in Jamaica. Since Paul really stepped up his game tonight, it may not matter if like Spain the Sudanese players stay home. I'm not reading any tea leaves. Just assuming that situation is still unchanged from the summer overseas trip.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:Since Paul really stepped up his game tonight, it may not matter if like Spain the Sudanese players stay home. I'm not reading any tea leaves. Just assuming that situation is still unchanged from the summer overseas trip.
Dang, I didn't even think about that. Let's hope something has been worked out, if for no other reason than building team chemistry and camaraderie.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

According to Graff first time we’ve been 2-0 in 4 years. And realized once again that LIU was a pretty good ballclub
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Tito wrote:For the first time in 25 years, I was at the game as a fan - not as a statistician. The main thing I took away was - this team is FUN to watch. I’ve seen a lot of sub-mediocre basketball, and this team is exciting and enjoyable. Might be on the way to being pretty special.
Tito, will you still do stat work or have you retired your pencil?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:According to Graff first time we’ve been 2-0 in 4 years. And realized once again that LIU was a pretty good ballclub
I'm sure this will get revisited but when I met the coaches over homecoming weekend, we chatted about the schedule and the game that will be sneaky tough is Georgia State. They think that might be the toughest OOC opponent besides the ACC teams.
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Unread post by IM42lane »

tjtlja wrote: Very nice win. Hey, we are 2-0. Doesn’t that sound great. Roll Wave!
Can't we count the LSU win? I know that it was an exhibition, but we need all the wins we can get, correct?
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Billow
Coach Level

Unread post by Billow »

LIU Brooklyn was beaten by Fordham last night 81-68... Let's not count our chickens yet! I don't see Tulane to continue to shoot 50% from the floor... We are much better but we need to play defense soooo much better with rebounding. Time will tell!
ROLL WAVE
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Everything seems to be going so much better to this untrained eye. Another year under the NBA coach seems to be paying dividends. Let’s see if the early success translates on the road this weekend, and now that Pete has alerted us, with Georgia State.

One small observation: I was pleasantly surprised with the brief Koka debut. I had expected a gangly, praying mantis, something like a bad Shawn Bradley. Feed that young man and we might have something in a year or two.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Tito
Navigator Level

Unread post by Tito »

sr wrote:
Tito, will you still do stat work or have you retired your pencil?
I’m still working for the Saints, Tulane, Bayou Classic, Sugar Bowl, and usually the LHSAA. Cut out the Pelicans.
At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Alright, it's been long enough to talk about the good of last night and the team, can I now talk about deficiencies? Billow nailed it, our fdefense is poor and our offensive rebounding effort is nonexistent. Our defensive rebounding effort is limited to our Center and not much else. When we shoot on the offensive end, everyone stands and watches (I think MD has the guards so concerned about getting out and running that they don't even try to rebound). This has to change.

I've heard the excuses since the LSU game, "we shoot so well that there aren't many opportunities" and "don't be negative, we won". Fine... but don't expect that to continue if we keep playing like we are. I like a lot of the things we are doing offensively, the pushing of the ball and the offensive schemes once settled into half court. I think we have the talent (finally) to defend at a legit D1 level. But unless we at least have some semblance of effort to defend and crash the boards, we will lose to any decent team we play. We get one shot on the offensive end and the opponent gets more than that, and often wide open.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Spoilsport. :lol:
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Good to be 2-0; it's the kind of win coaches love. You win--comfortably--but there's plenty of stuff to *ahem* "emphasize" in practice and film study. Clearly, we've made progress. Just as clearly, there's more progress to be made. We'll learn more against Colorado State.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

PeteRasche wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:According to Graff first time we’ve been 2-0 in 4 years. And realized once again that LIU was a pretty good ballclub
I'm sure this will get revisited but when I met the coaches over homecoming weekend, we chatted about the schedule and the game that will be sneaky tough is Georgia State. They think that might be the toughest OOC opponent besides the ACC teams.
Georgia State has a terrific sophomore guard, D'Marcus Symonds.

Colorado State went 24-12 last year, lost in their conference championship and lost in the second round of the NIT. They lost the conference player of the year and their second best player. I saw a prediction that has them 8th in the Mountain West this year. It's a game we should win if we are truly going to be good.

Sports Illustrated has Fordham picked 13th out of 14 in the Atlantic 10 (plus 4). A quality AAC shouldn't lose to them.

LSU is predicted to finish last in the SEC by several services.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I was looking at Colorado State’s schedule and they are playing Winthrop on campus tonight as part of the Jamaican tournament plus two games this weekend whereas we are only playing the two this weekend. Anyone know the reason why we would be playing two games and Colorado Stare would be playing three in the same tournament?